Angels vs corals

keith gray

It seems that most angel fish I research show that they are not safe with corals or at the very least monitor.
I have a 75 gallon with mostly softies and LPS.
Anyone had any luck with any angel not messing with their corals ?

btldreef

Well, your tank is only large enough for a dwarf angel. I have a Coral Beauty and a Flame in my 155 and neither have touched my corals. it's always a gamble with angels but some are more accepted as coral safe. The Coral Beauty, the Flame and the African Flameback are considered to be reef safe by most as long as they're well fed and have plenty of mature live rock to graze on.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Gray http:///forum/thread/383822/angels-vs-corals#post_3359626
It seems that most angel fish I research show that they are not safe with corals or at the very least monitor.
I have a 75 gallon with mostly softies and LPS.
Anyone had any luck with any angel not messing with their corals ?

The fish are iffy, I have only had dwarf angels and in a 75g I must assume you are speaking about them. My Lemonpeel has never bothered a thing, and three others on this site said the same. Yet somebody else got one and it nipped the coral right away. LOL...That means, so far it's 3 out of 4 are safe.
So at best it is a try one and see. Angels are very sensitive to bad water conditions or changes so make sure everything is really going good before attempting to get one. That's why the books recommend mature tanks. Oh and in a 75g only one per tank. Bigger tanks can get more than one I was told.

btldreef

It's also usually better if the corals are in the tank before the fish, then they are less likely to nip.

florida joe

I don’t think any angel can be trusted 100 % with corals but IMO if I had to go with one it would be the Coral beauty

gemmy

When I added my lemon peel to my tank, it started to nip at anything and everything in the tank. It wasn't too bad, and as time passed and with a good well rounded diet with plenty of algae the angel grazes on my live rock. However, it does occasionally go after my clam.

gemmy

I also should have added that my lemon peel will steal food from my anemone if given the opportunity.

keith gray

Sounds like the best bet may be to try a coral beauty. I already have corals and the tank is quite established, so maybe I will have some luck. The pain is if I have to take him out without breaking down the whole darn tank!
Thanks for everyone's opinions and help!!!!

btldreef

You should be fine with a coral beauty, keep him well fed and there is almost never an issue. I actually do not know anyone personally or in my reef club that has had an issue with a CB ever.