another cycle question??

dirk_brijs

Would it be possible to start a cycle without any lights or are they absolutely needed?
Thing is I will be getting my rocks and water on Monday but my MH bulbs have not yet arrived as I had to send them back as they were not the 20K bulbs I ordered.
So would the cycle start without the lights?
If any cycle would even happen at all as the rocks are fresh out of the ocean and will be using ocean water too.

levinjac

well there is no need for lights when you cycle cause what is there that needs light anyway I guess if you want you can turn them on but you dont NEED them

geoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk_brijs http:///forum/thread/380185/another-cycle-question#post_3308298
Would it be possible to start a cycle without any lights or are they absolutely needed?
Thing is I will be getting my rocks and water on Monday but my MH bulbs have not yet arrived as I had to send them back as they were not the 20K bulbs I ordered.
So would the cycle start without the lights?
If any cycle would even happen at all as the rocks are fresh out of the ocean and will be using ocean water too.
You need to test the cycle to see if the bio-filter works... Test Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate when they zero add some waste and see if Ammonia and Nitrite stays zero... Bang feeds his cycle till it zeros that's his test. If he can keep adding the amount he will feed his fish and Ammonia Nitrite stays zero

pezenfuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///forum/thread/380185/another-cycle-question#post_3308358

You need to test the cycle to see if the bio-filter works... Test Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate when they zero add some waste and see if Ammonia and Nitrite stays zero... Bang feeds his cycle till it zeros that's his test. If he can keep adding the amount he will feed his fish and Ammonia Nitrite stays zero

This is called ghost feeding and it is the most sensible way of cycling a tank (in my opinion). The only thing that changes after adding fish is that fish are eating the food. That doesn't have a significant effect on the bioload.

Lights really are not necessary for the cycling process but do affect the pH of your system. It would be a good idea to have your lights before adding your livestock. It isn't necessary, but a good idea.

Good Luck

dirk_brijs

oh sure the lights will be on when anything life stock will be added. Its just a 2 days thing water and rocks arrive tomorrow (Monday) and lights on Wednesday
so no big deal I guess

bang guy

When using good fresh live rock I prefer to cycle with lights on in case there are some good photosynthetic hitchhikers on board. I like keeping as much alive as possible on my new rock.

pezenfuego

Just a quick thing to add to that (in the case that anyone doesn't understand why the lights affect pH). Those little photosynthetic things on your rock like to use up the carbon dioxide in your system and of course convert it to oxygen. Oxygen does not have a significant effect on pH, but carbon dioxide does. Carbonic acid forms in equilibrium with carbon dioxide in a system. Therefore, less carbon dioxide means less carbonic acid. Less carbonic acid means higher pH.