Another ID please

etd5862

The algae you have pictured looks more like a Neomeris annulata to me. I have this in my tank; it is from Hawai'i. It can appear singally, or it may spread in to clumps. You will find the top will be a nice green color with radial hairs, and as the algae grows, the bottoms will look white and appear calcified.
The club algae is a form of valonia (bubble algea) and will still have a single finger-like bubble. Look at the algae in question and see if it is solid with little hairs, or if is a cell-like or hollow-looking entity.
Simsimbalabim, is yours from Hawai'i too (if it is indeed Neomeris sp.
), or do you know where it came from?

It does appear solid, with little green hairs. Unfortunately, I don't know where this rock came from. It's the skeleton of some zoo colony, I think.:notsure:

bang guy

Neomeris annulata aka Club Algae aka Spindleweed.
It's a harmless calcareous algae. It can actually be found on most rock from the South Pacific.

etd5862

Sorry, I didn't mean any disrespect to you, bigarn. I guess that's the problem with common, names, eh?-- The only algae I could find with a common name of 'club algae' was a Valonia sp. . When I ID'd it in my tank I found a reference for it ( Neomeris annulata )labeled as spindleweed, but not club weed, so it didn't occur to me there was another common name for the algae.:)

bigarn

No offense taken....This is the purpose of this forum. Nobody should take one person's opinion as the answer to their question.
There are many knowledgeable people here, and I'm sure everyone has helped answer someone's question at one time or another.
I'm sure you are one of those people.
bigarn :D