Another question

Jillian,
I would say you really need to match the pump to the overflow or flows. I have a 700 on my 55 and I would have gone bigger but my overflow I currently have will not handle anymore.
Rich

the overflow is how the water gets out of the tank. THere are the kind you hang on the back of the tank and then there are reef ready type tanks that have holes drilled directly into the bottom for built in overflows. From the overflow the water goes to the sump and back to the tank with the mag pump your original post asked about. Depending on the size pipe your overflow has they are rated for different gallon per hour ratings. That is where you decide what type of pump you need.
Rich

Sorry, I know I'm bugging everyone with all my questions, but what are the exact parts needed to connect a sump to a 200 gallon tank? What size sump should be used. Sorry again!

bang guy

Galviston is in the "warm" part of the country. You might consider an external pump to cut down on the heat transfer. External might be a little more noise though.
For a 200 I'd recommend something like the AmpMaster.

leopard_babe

Jillian I also just started a tank. Don't say that you are sorry. I asked a million questions, and I got a great response. This is a great way for everyone to learn about the salt water hobby.
Sarah

Thanx everybody! I try my best to learn as much as I can and then help others if I might know the answer to a question, but you never know enough in saltwater! I wasn't sure if an overflow was used with a reef-ready tank or not, but I will be getting a reef-ready tank. What is used to connect a reef-ready tank to a sump? :confused:

bang guy

Originally posted by Jillian Ayers
What is used to connect a reef-ready tank to a sump? :confused:

The reef ready will have holes drilled in the bottom. For a 200 you'll probably have 4 holes. Two holes are larger and will probably take a 1" or 1.25" bulkheads and the smaller will probably take 3/4" or 1" bulkheads.
Bulkheads are used to connect plumbing outside the tank to the plumbing inside the tank.
The larger holes will carry water to the sump using PVC pipes or flexible tubing.
You'll understand much better after you receive the tank and look at everything.
Reef ready still incorporate overflows but they are normally called "internal overflows". Very glad you're getting reef ready.

stillfrodo

It looks a little overwhelming at first all the holes bulkheads plumbing etc. But once you get the tank in the house and on the stand its not to bad. IMO yes reef ready is the way to go.