another spawning

mary

Well, It has only been three days since the Clarkii eggs have hatched. The behavior of the male has stayed the same. Overly protective of the female and very protective of the rock right next to and partially hidden by their enormous leather they adopted several years ago. Tonight they were again fanning and behaving exactly as they had been with the last mass of eggs. Yes, they have spawned even more than before, on the other side of the rock. Is this common for spawning to take place so quickly after the last has hatched? This time they are orange, last time they were bright pink in the beginning, then gradually changed to gray with neon silver eyes. Then they hatched, Never saw even one. They hatched at night. I think that when I first noticed the last bunch, they may have been there a day or so before I realized what had occured, so perhaps they went from orange to pink, then purple, then gray. Could there be something I have started useing to encourage this? The latest nutrient has been to use Marine Snow, and for four months now have been giving DT's to a Sun Coral.. :thinking:

bang guy

Diet plays a very important part in the frequency and number and size of eggs. I have a pair of Maroons that often spawn again even before the first set has hatched.

scubamen

hello all, Can anyone tell me if its possible to purchase a (mated)pair of clowns? I would like to try and raise some. I have a 180 gal. reef.Thanks for any information that anyone may pass along.

mary

The sun coral only gets DT's; it has developed new cups and is doing beautifully. That is what I was told to feed it, from several different sources, including SWF. It is in the proper shaded place in bottom of tank. Others have told me that each cup needs feeding. Now that is bunk. In the ocean each cup does not get fed simutaneously. Throughout a twenty- four hour period, maybe. But here I have this beautiful flourishing suncoral and not eating anything. How is it doing so well? I had been giving it cylopese also but stopped because with all these "additives" for individual corals it was not helping my phosphate levels and algea problems. Not that cutting back has shown any great advances either butat least all the animals are healthy. I add the cyclopeze just a little to the tank because the fish love it, once a week, but not directly to the sun-coral. Thank you for advising me . Am sure you are being just being helpful.

mana_man19

Scubamen,
it is possible to buy a mated set of clowns, but you will probably have to get them from an individual because most fish arent in a store long enough to pair up.

bang guy

Originally posted by GreatfullReefer
OT but sun corals can not eat Phytoplankton.

Absolutely true.
It is possible the DT's is helping feed them though indirectly. Bugs eat Phyto, Coral eats bugs.

mary

This wasn't addessed to me but you can tell which clowns have mated or will become mates. From a reputable LFS you can take the time to observe groups of clowns, groups of no more than ten, it's just easier, the fewer, and they have to have some size to them, not too small, any store would not mind your doing that; do it two times at least, watch for pairs that actually pair up and pretty much stay together. Often it is easy to evaluate that. It has worked for people in our LFS and it does work. Mine were about one year old when I got them. Ask SWF if they ever sell them as paired also. I have had good luck with the live order I received from them some time ago, not that that was where I got my Clarkii. If the store pairs them up, be prepared to pay more. If you watch for pairs, it will be cheaper, should be. The larger of the two is the female. They are one of the fishes that can change their --- when in the ocean. Maybe they do it in large captive groups if matured, and given proper environment. Others on this forum know much more about breeding than I. Clarkii's are the less aggressive of clowns. Any clown does not like other aggressive fish. When little, they will be very intimidated and cower in some corner, seeking their mate out for protection. They do substitute corals for anemone's, but it takes a while for them to determine which one is suitable, so they need a good selection. You may be fortunate to have anemones. Mine rarely leave their spaghetti coral and have their eggs on a rock that is partially covered by the coral. Just be wary of what tankmates they have. :happyfish