Another Tank: 90 gallons

swimmer4uus

Can't wait till the algae is gone. There is only this one piece now that has some. Then I can get the front glass buffed, and finished, and whoo hooo!
actually get good pictures

swimmer4uus

So I finally got the 20 under the stand....who hoo! I should get the plumbing done tonight. Then HOPEFULLY tomorrow fill up the fuge with liverock and water, let it run it's cycle, and tada! Refuge.

Anyone have experiece with this silicone? I don't wanna use it till I know it's reef safe.

swimmer4uus

Couple pictures.

Got a SWEET deal on this huge LPS...can't exactly identify it though. Looked like a torch at the store, but now in my tank it looks differently.
And I can't figure out why my tank looks cloudy in my pictures....I don't think I have the right settings on my girlfirends camera.

jaxfishgirl

Originally Posted by swimmer4uus
http:///forum/post/3220157
Couple pictures.

Got a SWEET deal on this huge LPS...can't exactly identify it though. Looked like a torch at the store, but now in my tank it looks differently.
And I can't figure out why my tank looks cloudy in my pictures....I don't think I have the right settings on my girlfirends camera.
looks like a hammer to me

nissan577

tank is coming along super. the silicon you should use is the aquarium silicon.
like this one:
Perfecto silicone

swimmer4uus

Bought some firefish today. Got 4 of them so they can somewhat school up. Adds some more activity to the tank. Trying to keep the fish somewhat small, as I don't really like the bigger fish.
Here's the current stocklist. I'll get some pictures up when I can charge the camera.
2 True Perculas
1 Coral Beauty
2 Scooter Blennies
1 Lawnmower Blennie.
1 Long Spine Sea Urchin
2 Emerald Crabs
1 Porcelin Crab (I think that' what he is)
I'm trying to figure out the stocklisk for the refuge. It's my 20L that used to have the blennies and percs. I want another set of picasso's, but a 20g just isn't enough room for that, and frags and whatnot....ugh

swimmer4uus

So time for a little update. Tax returns came in. That means it's time to start my LED build. I have a seperate thread for that posted in the DIY, but I'll post resulting pictures here too probably. The hair algae is definantly decreasing, so I rearranged some of the rock on the left. I really need to get the resurfacing kit to get the acrylic really shinning, and so I can get good pictures.
Here's a shot from last night, before the reworking of the rock

And after

Probably can't tell much of a difference.
And if anyone is wondering what algae will do to your zoanthids, here a before and after once all the algae was removed from covering my frag. There's only one polyp, hopefully it can grow now.

This was when I got it. They are the orange ones

swimmer4uus

So I think my Hammer is playing chemical warfare on my frogspawn. One of the heads on my Frogspawn is almost completely receeded, and is definantly dying away. Another head is starting to show signs of the same thing, yet the final two furthest away are doing just fine. Hopefully everything will be cool. At the LFS I picked up some stuff today. Some pulsing xenia, SMALL patch of this Macro Algae that looked pretty cool, and this weird looking crab. Trying to ID him right now. IDK if you can see the algae in the pictures. It's JUST above the frag disk. I actually had to put a piece of it under there to hold it from floating around in the fuge.

Also got a really nice yellow leather, and an Ausie Acan frag that has a small tiny new head growing. The acan came with a couple small copeopods as hitchhikers, which went straight into the fuge as soon as I got the acan out of the bag. No pictures of the leather or acan yet. They haven't opened up.

nissan577

The crab you have here the info:
The Staghorn Hermit Crab, sometimes called the Antler Hermit, or Coralhouse Hermit Crab is an unusual crab that requires specialized care by the more advanced hobbyist, and is well suited for the biotope or DSB (deep sand bed) refugium. These hermits are found along the reef faces and coral rubble zones throughout the Indo-Pacific. They scavenge animal matter and algae.
The Staghorn Hermit Crab lives in a branching shell that is covered with hydroids and bryozoans. The crab itself is a hardy companion for the aquarium, but the shell that it resides in requires specialized care. This shell has multiple branches that resemble the branching SPS coral Acropora. Because of its shell, this crab may not be able to right itself if it were to fall on its back, and will be stung and damaged by corals and anemones in the reef aquarium.
Staghorn hermits are best kept in a biotope system with other filter feeding invertebrates, or in a refugium where the hydroids and bryozoans on its shell can be fed properly with types of live or prepared plankton foods. The biotope system or refugium is an ideal location due to the fact the shell must not come in contact with stinging corals and anemones. The crab itself will graze on algae, and if there is an insufficient supply to eat, supplement the diet with offerings of dried seaweed.