Another Tank: 90 gallons

swimmer4uus

Good good. Been working on the new lights. I think my heater is tanking a crap, so I have to buy that. Once the lights are up, I'll probably buy a carpet and get rid of most the corals.

swimmer4uus

Thanks
Well everyone, things are going good with the tank. Still have to order the resurfacing kit, but that's after my lights are done.
Say hello to my new fuge light.

HAD to put it on the DT tank. This is with only TWO blue 3w LEDs.

swimmer4uus

So laying down on the floor this morning I decided to take a look see at what I have growing in the fuge. Came accross this guy. The pictures are a little bad, but I couldn't get any other angle on him. First picture I took sent him back into his den. He then came out and I watched him grab a huge piece of detris and take it back under his rock. For the time being he will be permitted. But if he ever makes me
he's a goner.

Also have a dump load of feather worms. On the left side of my fuge, where the return to the sump is, I counted about 40 of these guys.

swimmer4uus

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/3241120
woah thats alot!!!!
my fuge is plain. i wanna redo it!

Indeed you should! I'm waiting for better weather to order some plants. The fuge is going to be like a mini kelp tank. Kinda....we'll see.
But I was bored this morning and laying in from of my fuge before the DT lights came on. Here's some random pictures. The microfauna/copeopod popluation is stunning. Almost makes me want to stick a manderin in there. Every morning when the DT lights come on, my scooter blennies go crazy catching all the ones on the front of the tank. It's funny to watch.

gill again68

Can you list the algae you have in your fuge? Also where do you get your algae from. Hard to find stuff around here.

swimmer4uus

Caulerpa brachypus- came in as a hitchhiker on some live rock pieces

Caulerpa nummularia- LFS gave me a little pinch of this stuff. Had the fuge lights on for 36 hours to get some good growth out of it at first as I knew I would have a hair algae problem.
Ulva lactuca- I only have a small patch of this, and I don't think it's going to make it. Will have to get more
Chaetomorpha crassa- Have a big clump of this behind the first caulerpa
I really want to get some Padina, and some others that will grow longer. I have yet to actually order some online. My first ever batch of chaeto I got from SWF here. Very good stuff.
And more pictures

Anyone in the Sacramento area that wants a free bristle worm let me know. He's got a couple days left before he gets flushed...

swimmer4uus

Thanks. I added a pistol shrimp/goby pair. They've been scaring a lot of critters out of their hiding spots. That's how I caught the bristle worm so easy. I have these new little worms I have to identify now. The corkscrew to swim around, yet when the grab ahold of something, they stretch out and look like mini bristle worms. I really hope I don't have a bristle worm infestation on my hands.

swimmer4uus

So a little update on my fuge. Nutrien export of the algae is going great. Params are spot on

I'm pretty much letting things grow as they want to. The chaeto ball is growing, all the calpera's as well. Amazing thing is they seem to know not to hit my frag rack down there. Once they do, instant trimming.

Other than that not much going on besides my LEDs. Been updating that thread. Waiting on a couple more parts to come in the mail, and hopefully soon I'll have those over the tank.

swimmer4uus

Well the hammer was starting to die off, mainly because my percs weren't letting it open up, so the hammer and frogspawn got relocated to the fuge till I get an anemone. Got half the whites working, and in 2 weeks I'll turn the next half on so I don't kill off the few corals I have in there.

swimmer4uus

Well, I learned a couple things about my fuge today. First off, I have a breeding population of bristle worms down there. Second, don't stick your bare hands into a fuge that has a breeding population of bristle worms.

swimmer4uus

Well, two nights ago the lights switched on for my fuge. I have the lights opposite as DT. well, within 10 mins of the lights turning on, ALL the caulerpa decided it wasn't happy, and went sexual. I caught it about 5 mins after it started, disconnected the fuge from the sump, and just let everything happen. Looked like someone dropped a bottle of green dye into my fuge. I ripped out the caulerpa that was turning, let things settle, did a decent size water change, and connected everything back up yesterday. Now pretty much all I have left is the cheato. I added some sand to the bed, in anticipation to swtiching the fuge over to something with roots. HINT HINT!