Another Tank Build...?

freeride7

It has been a while since I have posted. I have had a 55 gallon reef up and running for about 7 years...thought I would add another tank to my main floor. Purchased a 180 Gallon corner flow..and am just in the process of set up, plumbing e.t.c.
I know there are alot of tank build threads going....so if interested I will begin a 180 diary....
But if tank builds threads have been beaten to death, let me know.
Thanks

jrlandsman

do it for sure! My favorite threads are tank build threads and I think everyone else agrees too, we all want to see every step of the way to get ideas help give comments and just enjoy your design!

lion_crazz

Go for it! Tank build threads are always interesting. I love to see the progression a large aquarium goes through and it is a great learning tool to others.

freeride7

try some pics....had to shim the tank base to support the sump, then picked up some carpet foam underlay ( foam material ) and attached to under the tank, also lined the ******** of the of the cabinet to reduce vibration and noise from sump system.
Lights are the 250W coralife aqualight. I replaced the bulbs they came with with 3 - 14K Pheonix.

freeride7

Misc pics of the sump semi-installed in the cabinet. The tank was back ordered so the sump sat in the cabinet like that for about a month before I received the tank the other day....

freeride7

and finally picked up the tank a couple of days ago....180 Gallon corner flow. Of course the bulkhead fittings did not match what I had coming from the sump ( wrong tank info from my LFS ), so I had to scramble and shop for fittings to make it work. Plumbed it all in last night
Painted the back of tank a dark royal blue about 6 coats..then a couple of coats of gloss black. Gives the inside a really nice dark ocean blue look.

freeride7

Well I filled it with water and mucking around with the sump and overflow. The tank came with a 1" inlet and a 1- 1/2" durso type standpipe drain.
I cannot seem to get the corner overflows to a constant high level... the water is fluctuating up and down... will not max out to the top and remains about an inch or two from the top. This also allows the water to shoot out of the 1/8" safety siphon break hole and is super noisy. This hole should be just below the water line..
Is this due to not having a perfect siphon? I notice the hoses that take the overflow to the sump kind of gulp the water ...big pockets of air..
Is it a matter of cranking the pump manifold supply line valve wide open?
Tks

freeride7

about day 5 with the halides on, sump running skimmer off during cycle. I can actually see the rock arrangement after the cloudy water cleared up. Added about 200 lbs of rock along with 350Lbs of sand to get around a 4" bed.

nwdyr

ARE YOU KIDDING????? who don't LOVE a tank build
especially when it looks that good!
I wish I could afford a set-up like that right now. Look forward to seeing this bad boy grow

freeride7

I know with my 55 I used raw shrimp to kick off cycle...however is it required in this case? I added cured LR and seeded the bed with live sand. I checked levels about 4 days after adding rock and everything was zeroed.

big

Looking good, no water stains on the hardwood floor yet either!!!!!!!!! Hope all goes as you plan..........

rotarymagic

you could toss a shrimp in just to test the biofilter..
a shrimp in that size tank isn't going to nuke anything like it would in a nano lol.

spanko

Originally Posted by Rotarymagic
http:///forum/post/2851205
you could toss a shrimp in just to test the biofilter..
a shrimp in that size tank isn't going to nuke anything like it would in a nano lol.
Agree but put it in a nylon or something (clean) so it is easy to take out as it deteriorates.