Anthocauli ???

the claw

I had a beautiful plate coral for about a year, until all of a sudden it went through what I thought was RTN. I decided to leave the skeleton in my tank after reading in Borneman about anthocauli reproduction, and I'll be damned, here is what it looks like after 2 months.

overanalyzer

so those are baby plate corals?? sorry - it is 3:15 here and I can't sleep .... ugh! How about some more details!

jonthefb

that is awesome claw.... man when those things start growing your gonna be able to get some good money selling them to lfs;s or whatever....thats awesome!
keep us posted on how they do!
good luck
jon

the claw

I think so overanalyzer. They haven't started forming a calcerous skeleton yet, at least as I can tell. I think they eventually detach. If anyone has ever had this happen in their tank, let me know. I'm mad, because the first one that died on me(didn't use ro/dh20 and copper killed it), I boiled the skeleton, and added it to my wifes decorations for our bathroom.

tlk

Originally posted by tlk
RTN??

Rapid tissue necrosis
Still don't know what it is though

the claw

For whatever unknown reason your coral decides to rot away from the skeleton at a very fast pace. If there is no other explainable reason then RTN.

tlk

online dictionary has:
necrosis
/ne"kr:ss/ noun death of tissue. necrotic /-"krt-/ adjective.
so why not just RTD...."Rapid Death of Tissue".
These big words are difficult for us unedjumakated folks:D

j21kickster

plate corals seem to produce a ton of offspring after severe trauma- some people i have seen kill them off till there is almost nothing left and then nuture them to get large amounts of growth like that- hey once they get larger mabye i could intrest you in a frag trade?

searcher

Wow!!! What did it look like before the offspring started to grow? Was it just a skeleton or was there still a lot of tissue?

the claw

Here is a progress shot from the group of daughter colonies from above, taken one year later. As you can see one of the colonies has broken off and settled next door. I have opted to let nature take its course, mostly just as a learning process.

nm reef

Thanks for digging this back up for the update. I remember when this was first posted but in all honesty it has totally slipped my mind...old age does that.
Looks like several have matured and will be viable individuals. Great job and again I appreciate the update. Kewl stuff.:yes:

smickied

When my plate went through RTN I took it out and boilded it and put it back in I wish i had seen this post first!