any computer geeks out there?

snakeblitz33

I just got some technical support via online remote desktop and I just feel so dang vulnerable now. Especially since the technical support I was getting wanted to sell me $300 worth of antivirus products to help "take care of my problem." They said I had a computer problem and there was some malware called rundll32.exe on my system, which to me is jibberish, other then I know it's a common system file. He was trying to tell me that it's a bad file when he was trying to sell me this software. He kept warning me that if I don't buy his software, I can expect my personal information to be compromised in a few days. yikes.

In any case, I got frustrated, told him to log me off, then I exited the logmein program to cut the connection. I deleted the logmein files. Then, I went and turned off my router and went to both of my computers and turned off remote desktop and changed the password on my router. I then went through and updated all the virus software and increased my firewall protection. I also deleted all internet browser files and history and cookies and password stuff. Now I'm fixing to boot the computers for the evening.

Did I follow all the steps or have I somehow screwed up and am still vulnerable? I just feel... violated.

Bryce E

Online tech support? Through a search? Compromised in a few days? Lol. Usually its either already compromised or it isn't. Be wary of any program or person out there that says the clock is ticking and to pay money now to avoid the apocalypse. There are 2 free programs that you can run yourself. (That may be able to help) Malware bytes and combo fix I believe. But you need to get them from a trustworthy source and have the latest update for new malicious files. You have to successfully stop the programs running in the back round before they can be removed. That's why you need both programs. One to kill the programs and one to remove them. I will send you the links tomorrow. I'm no expert by any stretch but I know some that I can ask.

Bryce E

What made you think you had a problem to begin with. A pop up telling you that a virus has been detected and to buy now or call a number?

snakeblitz33

I would very much appreciate that Bryce E.

I was actually having a problem with Netflix, so I found what I thought was a Netflix technical support number. I called it and then he directed me to download a remote desktop software program and linked our computers. I thought it was weird that he had to do that to "check my internet connection." and when I felt uneasy I disconnected immediately and changed all my passwords and firewall settings and everything and rebooted the router so he couldn't get access... hopefully.

If I could run those programs on my computer tomorrow and leave the computer off tonight, it should be fine, right?

snakeblitz33

I even disabled remote desktop and made sure it was off and applied the setting before booting the router and then double checked it again.

flower

I just got some technical support via online remote desktop and I just feel so dang vulnerable now. Especially since the technical support I was getting wanted to sell me $300 worth of antivirus products to help "take care of my problem." They said I had a computer problem and there was some malware called rundll32.exe on my system, which to me is jibberish, other then I know it's a common system file. He was trying to tell me that it's a bad file when he was trying to sell me this software. He kept warning me that if I don't buy his software, I can expect my personal information to be compromised in a few days. yikes.

In any case, I got frustrated, told him to log me off, then I exited the logmein program to cut the connection. I deleted the logmein files. Then, I went and turned off my router and went to both of my computers and turned off remote desktop and changed the password on my router. I then went through and updated all the virus software and increased my firewall protection. I also deleted all internet browser files and history and cookies and password stuff. Now I'm fixing to boot the computers for the evening.

Did I follow all the steps or have I somehow screwed up and am still vulnerable? I just feel... violated.
You can reset your computer to factory settings... half the time the updates cause me problems. I do back up my pictures and documents on Crash Plan (same as cloud). Sometimes it's just best to start over. You should have some kind of antivirus and firewall. The help the geeks give you isn't always very useful, and they can only take over the computer until you log them off...they can't just take over any time they want...you have to give permission. So don't feel violated, but I have never in my life had Netflix try and do a remote repair... or try and sell me software???

Bryce E

Yeah it should be fine. I'll ask my guy and PM you the links. Weird that they'd do that instead of having you do a speed test if they were just checking your Internet connection.

beaslbob

sound to me like you're doing what is required.

FWIW I have a ~10 year old dell laptop and have to constantly wait and wait and wait. So I started deleting old versions of programs and that helped.

Back in the day you could always redo everything with the CD which solved a lot of problems. But they seems to come back in a few months as old applications were reinstalled and you hit the internet again. Today it's all about firewalls, anti virus and the like.

my .02

snakeblitz33

It was just Netflix. On my tv. That was having the problem.

I think I'll be ok. I changed up a lot of things that should help. Just waiting on Bryce for those program links.

Bryce E

I was going to say if you haven't noticed any problems with your computer but you were just having a problem with netflix that you may not have any issues. If it was netflix on your t.v. then it's using an app like on a phone correct? Apps can have problems themselves and sometimes require an update, or completely closing out and going back in or even uninstalling and re installing the application.

Keep in mind that if you do have malware on your computer that changing your router password etc.. won't do anything because your system is infected. A lot of times you can have malware or a virus on your computer for a long time before seeing an actual problem. My server was hacked from china and nothing took effect until we restarted the computer... 6 months later. you have to be able to choose a restore point prior to having it on your system or that won't help.

So the problem was with your t.v. but you did a remote session on your PC and they said they found malware on your computer?

Bryce E

here's the link for Rkill (it's what you run to stop the programs from running so that your scan and removal tool can do its thing)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/

And here's the link for ComboFix (the malware removal tool)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

you can also run this one (it's similar to ComboFix) it's called Malwarebytes.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/lp4/02_r/?gclid=CjwKEAjwxKSoBRCZ5oyy87DimEcSJADiWsvgAfNzA61k0__RONW7wz-1NsXLUjKv6d1uwVTOwf2iXRoCtwTw_wcB

These are trusted sources... but just like with most programs you have to pay attention and possibly unclick the preclicked boxes that want to change your browser or install other free programs. The programs themselves are safe and effective though.

Read up on these before you use them for your own peace of mind...

Bryce E

Of course... you've helped me enough with my tanks. Getting my 165 Watt LED in the mail today... finally. Going to get a protein skimmer soon since the tank has been up for a few months and then start getting some SPS and LPS for the tank! I'm sure I'll have about 10,000 more questions for you when I run into trouble which is bound to happen at some point.

bang guy

Thank you Bryce for your wisdom. I've been in IT for over 35 years but mostly Mid size - Mainframe software development. I get all kinds of questions about PCs due to my career field but as far as personal computers go I'm just a power user and nothing more.

Snake has gathered an incredible amount of information. He seems to be able to take information and put it into application due to his open mind and inquisitive nature. I'm also glad he's here...

Last edited:

Bryce E

Yeah I know what you mean... I've learned a lot more about computers in the last year or 2 then I ever cared to know. lol. But it all surrounds work as well. My IT/Networking guy charges me almost $100/Hr so instead of just having him just fix problems I've tried to pay attention to what he does to gain a little knowledge and possibly avoid the expense when I can.

From what I've learned viruses can be tricky and It really is best just to avoid them altogether..haha!

snakeblitz33

Thank you Bryce for your wisdom. I've been in IT for over 35 years but mostly Mid size - Mainframe software development. I get all kinds of questions about PCs due to my career field but as far as personal computers go I'm just a power user and nothing more.

Snake has gathered an incredible amount of information. He seems to be able to take information and put it into application due to his open mind and inquisitive nature. I'm also glad he's here...
Wow. That's one of the best compliments I've ever inadvertently gotten. Thanks man.