any divers out there?

craig65

My wife wants us to get dive certified. I thnk it be great to dive the reefs off florida... some of the biggest lobsters are only a few miles from my house, only one little thing...all I know about diving is what I see in the movies... not sure I can brave the depths. Anyone out there dive? any advice and pics would help
thanks
Craig

stonyreef

You're on the right track - get certified first! I think that anyone with an interest in reef tanks should get certified and go diving at least once. I got a diving license before a driving license ;). For me, there's nothing like seeing the animals in their natural habitat, or looking out into the deep blue expanse. Never gets old.
Here's a few of my pics from diving in Kauai last June, enjoy...

chuckcac

i'm a certified DiveMaster. Got certified 10 years ago up here in New York. Not much to see up here in the cold, unless you're into shipwreck (got hundreds of those up here)
Done most of my recriational diving in Cancun, Cozumel, Turks & Caicos....
Its the (one of the) most amazing feelings in the world... breathing & floating around in the open ocean...
amazing

stonyreef

Cancun / Cozumel has spectacular diving. Did you ever get a chance to dive a cenote in the jungles there? Another awesome experience. Highly recommend if you haven't yet.

craig65

the place I'm looking into is discover diving. He said it's a PADI open water class. 200.00 for the class and about 1200 for the gear if buy my own.
Didn't try to sell me anything ... showed me a bunch of gear, some better than others, of course I dont know one from the other. They do weekend trips to the keys and vacaton packages to the bahamas It sounds great.
2 things bother me, sharks and
How do you get used to breathing under water?

zeroc0o0l

Big lobsta huh.. Only advice is to invite me and my dive buddy down for some diving. Only advice is GET OUT THERE AND DO IT. It will take you around the world and back again. I have seen and experienced some of the most amazing things underwater.
Oh yea Bonaire is the AWESOME def check it out

stonyreef

Originally Posted by craig65
http:///forum/post/2523825
the place I'm looking into is discover diving. He said it's a PADI open water class. 200.00 for the class and about 1200 for the gear if buy my own.
Didn't try to sell me anything ... showed me a bunch of gear, some better than others, of course I dont know one from the other. They do weekend trips to the keys and vacaton packages to the bahamas It sounds great.

1 - that's why you get certified first, so you are comfortable using the equipment, i.e. breathing through the regulator.
2 - most shark you will see you will not have to worry about.

craig65

one of the world record lobsters was cought off Daytona on a bouat out of ponce inlet. I have fished these waters from Cape Canaveral to St. Augustine but have never been down to the bottom personaly. The more I read and hear about it I want to do it... the next class is in May. It would make a hell of an anniversery present...she'd never see that comming

craig65

Most??
Which ones do you have to worry about?
I guess it's like anything else. I was afraid of electricity before I got into the trade, now I spend all day in live equipment without a second thought...
What the hell.....it's only water.

Scuba diving is one of the best hobbys in the world. I have been diving in Florida in several places, all great. Also, I went diving at Epcot in Orlando in the Living Seas, 2nd largest aquarium, and it was wonderful!!!! I would recommend this experience to anyone, get some practice first though so you don't spend your 30 minutes of time scared or worrying about breathing, etc...
Also, in that dive at Epcot there were 5 sharks all around us and they really didn't care about us at all.
There is really nothing like diving!!!!

groupergenius

Originally Posted by craig65
http:///forum/post/2523825

1. Look for used equipment. Lots of people get certified and buy all the stuff new and never dive again. You can find everything you need for 1/3 that cost.
2. No need to worry about sharks. Theres nothing you can do to stop them if they want to eat you anyway. (joke....kinda)
3. Breathing underwater beats the alternative. Find a friend who has dive gear and get in a pool sometime.

craig65

we are going to take the plunge

then going to costa rica for a vacation this year...
can't wiat to get started

rwrvetn

Been diving actively for 34 years (Many as PADI Instructor). Each dive is exciting and never the same. Every dive you will encounter something new! Sharks no worry. Been on many shark dives and tons of encounters with more than six species--they tend to be shy or at most curious. Dive until you can't--then you will still have a reef tank to enjoy!

Im right down the road from you in the brevard county area, been diving for fun, lobster, as well as for a career, and it is one of the best things ive ever done, as someone else posted "its always different and exciting". Its a must especially living here!

mrmaroon

JUST RENT the equipment to start with. What if you end up not enjoying it? I have been diving for 8 years and have my advanced certification. Sicne I only dive every 9-12 months, I still rent equipment. Cozumel is awesome and I just got back from Turks and Caicos. I loved that place. I saw 4 sharks in 4 dives. I did Kauai I year ago and loved the island, but not my favorite dive trip.
As far as depth, you really see a lot in the 50-80 foot range so your are not going all that deep. The deepest I have been is the Devil's Throat dive at Cozumel which was 130 and advanced divers only. I really want to go do the Blue Hole in Belize though. Anyone been there?

gliderjohn

Check with your local dive shops for when they are going to offer their next Introduction to Scuba. For little or no cost they will take you to a local pool, get you used to the equipment and get you in the water and let you blow off a tank of air to give you a taste of what it's like.
My son and I are advanced divers. He just took his fiance throught the Intro to Scuba with our shop. She loved it and now wants to complete her certification.
Breathing underwater - no problem. Strange feeling at first - breathing where you know you shouldn't be able to, but you get used to it immediately.
Sharks - no worry. The only times I've seen sharks are when I purposely took shark dives. No problems - survived without a scratch. It was truly amazing to be in the water with these beautiful, amazing creatures. I've done it twice and I would do it again.
To experience weightlessness is awesome! Reef, drift, shipwreck, wall diving, cave diving, cenotes...there are many different ways to enjoy the underwater world. Go for it!

drewissett

I wholeheartedly agree with what has been said, diving is AMAZING... Diving actually got me into this whole saltwater fish hobby. Its amazing. I've been diving in Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel, as well as Grand Caymen, and NY... The variety of things you see is incredible, i can't recommend it enough!

fats71

Originally Posted by stonyreef
http:///forum/post/2523832
1 - that's why you get certified first, so you are comfortable using the equipment, i.e. breathing through the regulator.
2 - most shark you will see you will not have to worry about.

Like I said I have dive equipment for sale :)