any one have a lab

mudpup3090

i have a chocolate lab and love her but all she does i chew up any hting she can fit in her mouth and some thins she cant
some times i wont to get rid of her but then she looks at me and i cant stay mad at her she is a mans best friend

bang guy

We have a Red Lab.
Labs chew. Nothing you can do will change that. You can keep her occupied with something that's OK for her to chew and you can run with her to cut down on boredom & nervous energy.

krunk

We have a yellow lab....same problem when it was younger, now he's 2 years old and calm, rarely does he chew something up. How old is your lab?

bededog

I have two labs, one black and one chocolate. The black is 10 years old and the other one is 8. They are the best dogs int he world after they are 1 1/2 to 2 year old. The lab puppy stage is almost unbearable. I was at a point when my black lab (my first lab) was about 1 year old when i thought I was going to give her to someone else because she was driving my crazy. She actually ate right through the wall to get out of the room she was in. She didn't just make a hole, she ate the dry wall on both sides of the wall. Not a speck of dust, just a hole in the wall. Then one day when she was about 2 I noticed with a great deal of relief, my dog was a good dog. She listened better, she was more calm, and she didn't chew on anything anymore. She still takes everything she can get off of the counters in the kitchen like whole sticks of butter, chips, a dozen doughnuts. She is a pig but is still a damn good dog.
She is an excellent bird dog, we go out after grouse all the time during the fall.
Anyway, if your dog is young yet, wait till it is 2 years old. They are absolutely amazing after that point. I have a 17 month old little boy and he climbs all over both of them, pulls their ears and tails and most of the time they don't even move. They knock him over sometimes accidentally, but they would never hurt him on purpose.
Sorry for such a long post.

kevinf

I'm on my secong Golden. My first one chewed legs off of chairs. I agree, the puppy stage last till about 2 years old. The one I have now has been the best dog I've ever owned. Just remember young dogs are just like children. You cannot leave them alone in a house and expect them not to get into anything. I'm a big fan of crating when you cannot watch them.

morayeel1

My chocolate lab/gsp is a sweetie, she just turned 4 yesterday. She does love to chew though, i just have to make sure what she's chewing isn't the mail or a dictionary, she is esp. fond of pencils now. She used to be a horror though, and so darn submissive i couldn't do anything with her. now if she does anything wrong i know as soon as i walk in the door because she jumps into the leather chair and cringes down as if to take a blow. poor thing
but i still love her to death though.

mudpup3090

my lab is just over 1 year her name is sasha and i am geting ready to by my first house and i think i will get another lab this time a yellow on but i am going to hold off till i have more room has any one get one from the spca or somthing. i think i wont to bypass the pupy stage.

polarpooch

I love to hear lab horror stories! It makes me feel a little better ...I have huskies...and every last one of them have attempted with great eagerness to destroy my favorite things. The worst one chewed through the cords on the back of the dryer and nearly electocuted herself. She was the same one that ate through the back of the couch when she got stuck there....the same one who liked to play tug of war with my ponytail when i was sleeping...same one that stripped the bark completely off the tree in my backyard....burrowed under her kennel and impaled herself on a loose branch...ate through my laundry, paying close attention to my boyfriend's underwear...drank a pitcher of beer on the picnic table...and removed the leg of my boyfriend's mom's pet cat...
And I'm not making any of it up. I had her till she died at age 9.
So lab people take heart--there are loonier dogs out there...you just gotta love them and laugh...and be content with the mess till they outgrow it!

mudpup3090

MY LAB HAS A ELECTRIC CORD FETISH SHE HAS KILLED THE CABLE BOX 2 TIMES AND SHE CHEWED THE LIGHTS OFF THE XMAS TREE THE PHONE CORD AND THE PHONE AND AT LEST 10 CABLE REMOTS MY GIRL FRIENDS CELL PHONE TWO TABLE LEGS AN ENTERTAMENT CENTER THE LOVE SEAT AND THE LIST GOS ON AND ON AND ON AND ON

SHE NEEDS HELP MY GRIL FRINDS SON TOLD ME THAT HE THOUGHT THAT SHE WAS BROKEN:confused:
SOME PEOPLE THINK THAT THERE TANK IS THE MOST TIME AND MONEY CONSUMING THING THAY HAVE WELL IT IS PAINFULY OBIVIOUS THAY DO NOT HAVE A DOG WITH A CHEWING FETISH

bojuben

A tried dog is a good dog. Best thing you can do is wear your dog out.
Like Bang stated - take him/her out for a jog, play ball - whatever makes him tired. Way back when my Golden Ret was young we were lucky enough to have a pool. Almost every afternoon I would trow a ball into the pool for close to an hour. This would not totally wear him out but he was not out of control the rest of the evening.
Labs are a Sporting Breed and are bred to hunt for hours and hours - so they have lots of stamina. Because they are so active and require so much attention you will find many Labs in the pound that are around 1 year old because of unwanted behavior. Pretty sad!
For chewing give them something you approve of to chew. A great toy to give your dog is a Kongs. These are rubber toys that have a hole to place goodies in. Fill it up and let them work to get the food out. This can entertain my dogs for hours.

polarpooch

MY LAB HAS A ELECTRIC CORD FETISH SHE HAS KILLED THE CABLE BOX 2 TIMES AND SHE CHEWED THE LIGHTS OFF THE XMAS TREE THE PHONE CORD AND THE PHONE AND AT LEST 10 CABLE REMOTS MY GIRL FRIENDS CELL PHONE TWO TABLE LEGS AN ENTERTAMENT CENTER THE LOVE SEAT

Oh dear! Are you SURE you don't really have a husky???!!!

Sorry. I feel bad for you, actually. Here's some real advice from someone who has a long history with insane dogs:
Mostly, lab-proof your room. Put stuff away that you don't want your dog near. Until your dog is 2 or 3 (or longer if it's had no training), it's going to chew. It needs things to chew on. Kongs are great...Boda bones are good too. Apparently, your dog likes plastic (!) so I'd try the Kongs first. You can stuff little treats in them that mezmerize dogs and keep them occupied.
(Just as a point of reference: my boyfriend's lab chewed through a door because he was bored! The door was his chew toy...that's not good! )
Spray-on "Bitter Apple" works, too (available at nearly all pet stores). You just have to know how to use it. Whenever my dog ( the one I described in my previous post) chewed, I would spray whatever she chewed with bitter apple, then give it back to her. She hated it, and developed aversions to these items. I wish I would have discovered this stuff years before she did so much damage!
The single best thing you can do when you are away is kennel the dog. It's a sporting dog. It can take it. Everyone I know with gun dogs kennel them as puppies, so it's not just a husky thing. Don't feel bad about it. Kennels provide a "den" for the dog, allowing the dog to feel safe. After the dog gets used to it, it should start going in on it's own. Never use a kennel to punish a dog, btw. Your dog will associate the kennel with punishment, which will create more problems for you. Better to kennel the dog, than be in a constant state of frustration with it. Neither you nor the dog will have a very good time.
Finally, get that dog in obedience school. Sounds like your dog doesn't know who's boss yet. You probably yell a lot at it, but that won't make a bit of difference until the dog can learn to differentiate your anger from your commands from your praise. Obedience training provides consistency. Not to mention labs and dogs like labs take to it very well. You sound like you're letting your dog off the hook because he's so darn cute...another reason you need obedience training.
Or you can wing it and hope you don't get so mad you cart the dog off to the pound!
Like I said, I have a great deal of experience with difficult dogs--but my experience IS limited to Siberians. My boyfriend is also an experienced dog trainer. He's trained labs, AmStafs, Rotties and Pit Bulls. (not for aggression, but for obedience). If you want to email me, I'll let my "expert" boyfriend take over! My email is polarpooch@yahoo.com

mudpup3090

i am sorry to here that
thank you for all the good advise
the last few days have been good no new problems:jumping: :jumping:

sparkles12

I have two labs-a chocolate and a yellow and a jack russell mix. The chocolate and the JR are partners in crime now that I've moved back into my mom's house. They together have eaten a dog cage, the sofa and my moms favorite sweater and they constanttly torment the cats but the little one is always the ring leader so it's not just a lab thing. (When I lived in my apartment the JR ate the carpet at my bedroom door right down to the concrete. That sucked.)

celacanthr

I have a big black lab, kanga. She is the sweetest nicest thing on earth..exudes love...but she is stupid...I don't mean to be mean, but she is NOT the brightest... (looks at cabinet full of down home saying)... letter in the alphabet. One time she was itching, and she chased her tail around, and bit it, yelped and sat down (she will sit down if anyone touches her tail...anyone...).
I gotta say though, labs have the biggest heads on earth...heavy as all get out.
I think she is actually brilliant, she just pretends to be stupid, to get us to pamper her