Any way of keeping Live sand clean?

neowind

I was just wondering if there was anyway to keep LS clean? There is always sometype of buildup or brown algae or purple algae built up on my sand. If I take a net and scoop a layer off then its clean again but thats kinda like wasting sand and I don't want to take away from my life in there. Is there a better way of going about this?

tonya-sr

hi Neowind, i had the same problem, but i got 2 Valenciennea strigata's, common name golden head goby, or blue-cheek goby,they are sand sifters, they clean your sand 4 you. but i have to warn you, if you have LR in your tank it will shift, also as they clean your sand they will dust your corals with the clean sand. i controlled this by just letting them do there job and the LR setteled in, and i added a little xtra current in my tank to blow off the corals so the sand doesn't stay on them. i hope this helps. sinse i put my two in (beevis&butthead)
my LS has never been whiter and cleaner. LoL,

tonya-sr

the only hole they have dug is the one they bed down in, but they do build a mound around the LR where they nest, i call it decorating. every now and then i will go in and level it. but i would rather do this than to have ugly sand, besides they are a beautiful colored fish, and comical to watch. here is a pic of my two.

nas19320

I would go with a healthy mix of snails and worms, thats what has always kept my sand nice and clean. Be careful adding sand sifters, some will destroy the microfauna in a DSB, if that is what you are using, and do more damage then good.

neowind

I have 10 Nass snails but my angel I think ate them all. I see one every now and then missing its little extending arm where it was bitten off. I think I am gonna pickup a few Cerith Snails to take their place. Are you supposed to Siphon the sand with the siphone hose to clean it at all?

daisy

Originally posted by Bang Guy
I would suggest Cirratulid Worms, Nassarius Snails, Cerith Snails and a sprinkling of Fire Worms.

does one just order these? The snails one can purchase, but what about the worms?

tonya-sr

hey Nas, what does DSB stand for? just wandering. i have a built in over flo in my tank. does it have something to do with filters? i haven't had any problems with my two gobies, is it because i have a over flo? thanks
tonya-sr

daisy

DSB = deep sand bed. place for pods, worms, aerobic bacteria, etc in top layers and anaerobic bacteria in the deep layers.

tonya-sr

thanks daisy, i'm new on here, only been on for a month & a half, i'm still learning all the abreviatoins, thanks for answering, i'm trying not to ask to many dumb questions. anyway thanks for the help

tonya-sr

daisy

I remember having difficulty with all the abbreviations. Only not only did I not know about
DSB
LR
LS
FOWLR
LFS
and all the other SWF abbreviations, I also did not know
btw, lol, hth, and all the other "board slang" that's out there.
This is my first and only board.
Learn as you go!
It's a great place to learn, as nearly everyone is nice and actually wants to help you learn!
And no question is a dumb question -- think of it this way, it gives someone else a chance to exercise their brain and feel good helping you!

bang guy

Originally posted by daisy
does one just order these? The snails one can purchase, but what about the worms?

The Nassarius snails will be unlikely to reproduce but the reat of the animals I mentioned will reproduce and maintain a stable population provided you don't have any sand sifters.
I also like the Atlantic Black Cucumbers.

reefnut

You can buy cirratulid Worms, bristle worms, pods... etc online. They are expensive though.
Most enter the tank through LS & LR. One reason people traid LS...

karajay

Ask your LFS for a scoop of the stuff on the bottom of their LR holding/curing tanks.
-OR-
If possible, trade some sand with a fellow hobbyist.

nas19320

For those that haven't learned many of the bulletin board acronyms, there is a sticky in the new hobbyiest forum with many of the board acronyms. HTH :)

bang guy

I've had them crushed, eaten, starved, cut in half, and buried. Never had one single problem and never had one die (even after all the abuse).
I also believe they are edible. :scared:

bang guy

A few are, actually only two that I know of. Most of the common orange fFireworms are great detrivores. There's a pretty one in the Carribean that eats Gorgonians and another than spins a coccoon. The rest are fine.