Anyone been to Cancun lately?

uneverno

I have not been there since 1988ish, but my recollection is that, other than the sleeping sharks (at Isla Mujeras), the snorkeling/diving in Cancun is not so good - not much in the way of actual reef. It's much better in Cozumel, which is only a boat-ride away.
If you're into Mayan ruins, Chichen Itza as a fabulous day trip.

bs21

Tulum (sp?) is also the travel channels best beach in the carribean. Cool myan ruins there also.

bigarn

Whatever you do don't eat or drink outside of the tourist area! If on a tour to the ruins, no food or drink from roadside vendors ... this includes ice cubes.

uneverno

meh, I'm of the Andrew Zimmern school on that one: "If it looks good, eat it."
I've eaten from street vendors all over the world. The only place I ever got sick was Hawaii.
Also, alcohol kills germs. If ya know what I mean.

dragonzim

Originally Posted by bigarn
http:///forum/post/3026139
Whatever you do don't eat or drink outside of the tourist area! If on a tour to the ruins, no food or drink from roadside vendors ... this includes ice cubes.

Eating should be fine, just make sure that whatever it is, is cooked. NO raw produce and dont drink anything that doesnt come out of a sealed bottle

bionicarm

Not too worried about the food. I've traveled to the ******** quite a few times, and luckily never got the dreaded Montezuma's Revenge. We're staying at one of the all-inclusives, so all the food and drink we want will be provided. I heard it's just a ferry ride over to Cozumel, and we were planning to take a day trip over there. The resort has a 'sister' hotel over there we can go to. I did read on a couple of sites where they said there was a lot of dead coral around Cancun now. Guess the last couple of hurricanes that passed through there did their job. But hey, it's Cancun. Sittin' on the beach drinking 'ritas or Modelo Negro has to beat dealing with the Texas summer heat.

lovethesea

get trip insurance. A friend of ours was set to go to Ixtapa (spell) a few weeks ago and some of the crime in Mexico has gotten so bad, they were advised not to go. The areas themselves seem fine, but they were told that they should not venture too far. Starting to sound like Jamacia.
Its a beautiful place, the water is to die for. Have fun, just be careful.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by bionicarm
http:///forum/post/3026449
Not too worried about the food. I've traveled to the ******** quite a few times, and luckily never got the dreaded Montezuma's Revenge. We're staying at one of the all-inclusives, so all the food and drink we want will be provided. I heard it's just a ferry ride over to Cozumel, and we were planning to take a day trip over there. The resort has a 'sister' hotel over there we can go to. I did read on a couple of sites where they said there was a lot of dead coral around Cancun now. Guess the last couple of hurricanes that passed through there did their job. But hey, it's Cancun. Sittin' on the beach drinking 'ritas or Modelo Negro has to beat dealing with the Texas summer heat.
We went last year, saw mainly fish but the coral we did see looked fine.

lovethesea

now it seems to be the swine flu. I am not sure where the outbreaks are in Mexico, but it has the WHO rattled.