Anyone ever heard of an ecoaqualizer?

srfisher17

Your last sentence says it all; my observations are just that, observations...not scientifically sound tests. I think increased fish activity & color is the main thing I notice; and that would be a real tough "objective" test. Fish behavior & color changes constantly anyhow. It could just be a"feel good, placebo" effect, but I don't think so. The Eco's mfg folks have been great; answering little questions and offering any help. I'll let you know my "observations" when I've given a couple more Eco-Aqualizers" (just the name scares me) time to do whatever they do.
Edit: Also the skim amount & color follow just the pattern stated by the mfg. Just one tank, but I've heard the same thing from others. Hardly PhD quality research, but interesting.

S

swalchemist

WOW this thing is just great, imagine not having to do a water change again!!! Yeh and then you wake up, if you actually see any way that this thing can physically work then you have a pretty good imagination. I think I will tape some crystals to my return tubes tonight, I think that might work about as well as this thing. Pathetic

srfisher17

Originally Posted by SWAlchemist
http:///forum/post/2596827
WOW this thing is just great, imagine not having to do a water change again!!! Yeh and then you wake up, if you actually see any way that this thing can physically work then you have a pretty good imagination. I think I will tape some crystals to my return tubes tonight, I think that might work about as well as this thing. Pathetic
Now, now...control your enthusiasm! You just might have to wait until Christmas.

flricordia

I have no experiance with them but Reefscapes in Pensacola, a setup, maint. reef company, swears by them and uses them in all the systems they put in.
I have not tryed one myself.

darrinsimon

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/2595990
See post #110 above. I think I will remove the skimmer; it isn't doing much. And even if I did buy it; its been used more than 6 months. (Sarcasm noted & ignored... Sorry in advance if I read it wrong.)
Sorry I came across that way it was not intentional. Actually I edited my post but it didn't post at all? (Hmm thats really weird)
Anyway my edit consisted of clarification so you wouldn't be offended or anything. I said I was not picking on you, but trying to find out if you would recommend this gizmo over a skimmer. I am in the market for a new skimmer and in searching for one I came across the ECO-Aqualizer. It claims it can replace the skimmer and as you have noticed I am skeptical of that, skimmers can get real expensive. But this thing is so cheap compared to some skimmers it sounds too good to be true, you know the old saying. So I figured I would ask someone who is using one and that happens to be you srfisher17. Sorry for the confusion.

sly

eco-aqualizer: Bad Science...
Check out what Rex has to say: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...ce&btnG=Search
I found his rant to be humorous although not always correct. This is from a link at the bottom of his rant to where they actually test one.
"We decided to look into this product after a lengthy thread on the *****.*** website where it was discussed. Our first impression was that the number and extent of the claims made for the product was totally out of proportion for what the product seemed to be.
The product explanations given on the website flew in the face of sound engineering and scientific principles. In addition, the product description seemed awfully close to numerous magnetic products sold for water purification, medical uses, and even to improve automobile gas mileage. Several of the companies selling the latter products have recently been prosecuted by the Federal Trade Commission for false claims and deceptive sales tactics. So this product raised several red flags with us, and we considered it worthy of checking out."
IMO I would stay away from this thing. Vague and difficult to prove claims, not backing with any evidence. Manufacturer says "reactivity" instead of "Oxidation-Reduction Potential". Reactivity could be any number of things but would most likely be linked to ORP of which the manufacturer provides no supporting data. I suspect it will only be a certain time before this person is shut down...

where can I get the Vortech Filter for $75. I used it on my fresh water for year but broke about a year ago and haven't been able to find it in my local stores. please advise where I can get it?

srfisher17

Originally Posted by DarrinSimon
http:///forum/post/2597053
Sorry I came across that way it was not intentional. Actually I edited my post but it didn't post at all? (Hmm thats really weird)
Anyway my edit consisted of clarification so you wouldn't be offended or anything. I said I was not picking on you, but trying to find out if you would recommend this gizmo over a skimmer. I am in the market for a new skimmer and in searching for one I came across the ECO-Aqualizer. It claims it can replace the skimmer and as you have noticed I am skeptical of that, skimmers can get real expensive. But this thing is so cheap compared to some skimmers it sounds too good to be true, you know the old saying. So I figured I would ask someone who is using one and that happens to be you srfisher17. Sorry for the confusion.
Thanks for the clarification. I never have really recommended this thing at all; I have just, as objectively as possible, related my experience with it. I'm sure not going to say "dump your skimmer"; they are a time-tested piece of equipment. My view, at least for now, is that the Eco-Aqualizer is an accessory that does just what I stated it does. I'll admit to not following the science; but I'm convinced that it is doping something that makes a positive difference and I plan on using them in all my tanks. If I don't like it, I'll just get my money back.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Sly
http:///forum/post/2597178
eco-aqualizer: Bad Science...
Check out what Rex has to say: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...ce&btnG=Search
I found his rant to be humorous although not always correct. This is from a link at the bottom of his rant to where they actually test one.
"We decided to look into this product after a lengthy thread on the *****.*** website where it was discussed. Our first impression was that the number and extent of the claims made for the product was totally out of proportion for what the product seemed to be.
The product explanations given on the website flew in the face of sound engineering and scientific principles. In addition, the product description seemed awfully close to numerous magnetic products sold for water purification, medical uses, and even to improve automobile gas mileage. Several of the companies selling the latter products have recently been prosecuted by the Federal Trade Commission for false claims and deceptive sales tactics. So this product raised several red flags with us, and we considered it worthy of checking out."
IMO I would stay away from this thing. Vague and difficult to prove claims, not backing with any evidence. Manufacturer says "reactivity" instead of "Oxidation-Reduction Potential". Reactivity could be any number of things but would most likely be linked to ORP of which the manufacturer provides no supporting data. I suspect it will only be a certain time before this person is shut down...
I think this article showed up way back when this thread started. A search will also show positive reviews. I can only relate to my experience, which is favorable.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Flricordia
http:///forum/post/2597028
I have no experiance with them but Reefscapes in Pensacola, a setup, maint. reef company, swears by them and uses them in all the systems they put in.
I have not tryed one myself.
I've been told about a few other similar firms that feel the same way.

darrinsimon

http:///forum/post/2597596
Thanks for the clarification. I never have really recommended this thing at all; I have just, as objectively as possible, related my experience with it. I'm sure not going to say "dump your skimmer"; they are a time-tested piece of equipment. My view, at least for now, is that the Eco-Aqualizer is an accessory that does just what I stated it does. I'll admit to not following the science; but I'm convinced that it is doping something that makes a positive difference and I plan on using them in all my tanks. If I don't like it, I'll just get my money back.

Thank you for your advice it is appreciated greatly.

srfisher17

I talked to an owner of the reef maintenance company, in Pensacola, that Flricordia referred to in post #123 above. (Reef Scapes, very nice & knowledgeable folks) They've had the same experiences I've had and really like these things. They, too, have never had a customer that wasn't happy with the thing. She also said the amount of glass scum (and cleaning) is way down. I have experienced this also; but this is hard to quantify. I used to clean the front glass on my first tank with the eco-aqualizer about twice a week, now its about every 10 days.

sly

Then someone needs to do a formal test and set up a control tank and a test tank. Actually compare the two and note specific, measured differences between the tank with and the tank without the device.
What makes me skeptical is that the manufacturer hasn't done this. It would be easy to do and the numbers would squash most people's skepticism... but why hasn't the manufacturer done this? Instead of giving quantitative results (facts, figures, numbers) they are giving qualitative results (looks clearer, reduce water changes)...
Here's the deal. I haven't had an ich outbreak in my tank ever. Now I can say any number of things are responsible for that. I could say "Since I added flake food to my fish's diet I haven't had one ich outbreak". Or it could be my UV sterilizer... who knows? Without an actual control group to isolate the variables, you can not truthfully say what caused your tank's health. This is no different.
I could install an eco-aqualizer on my tank and then in a few months notice that my corals are amazingly healthy... but couldn't that have happened anyway? The natural progression of our tanks is to get better and better with age. We take care of them better, learn from our mistakes, buy better gear and feed more responsibly. As WE learn, our tanks improve. So following the natural progression of a saltwater tank, then how can anyone say that one particular device is responsible for all of their tank's success? To me, that is doing a tremendous disservice to the person who owns the tank because it was THEIR hard work that made it happen.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by Sly
http:///forum/post/2599461
Then someone needs to do a formal test and set up a control tank and a test tank. Actually compare the two and note specific, measured differences between the tank with and the tank without the device.
What makes me skeptical is that the manufacturer hasn't done this. It would be easy to do and the numbers would squash most people's skepticism... but why hasn't the manufacturer done this? Instead of giving quantitative results (facts, figures, numbers) they are giving qualitative results (looks clearer, reduce water changes)...
Here's the deal. I haven't had an ich outbreak in my tank ever. Now I can say any number of things are responsible for that. I could say "Since I added flake food to my fish's diet I haven't had one ich outbreak". Or it could be my UV sterilizer... who knows? Without an actual control group to isolate the variables, you can not truthfully say what caused your tank's health. This is no different.
I could install an eco-aqualizer on my tank and then in a few months notice that my corals are amazingly healthy... but couldn't that have happened anyway? The natural progression of our tanks is to get better and better with age. We take care of them better, learn from our mistakes, buy better gear and feed more responsibly. As WE learn, our tanks improve. So following the natural progression of a saltwater tank, then how can anyone say that one particular device is responsible for all of their tank's success? To me, that is doing a tremendous disservice to the person who owns the tank because it was THEIR hard work that made it happen.
Although I do agree with you, most companies don't provide data for their products. It is the dang marketeers fault. When I was in sales it was called tell them the "benefits." They would literally chew me out when I'd give detailed information. And not their one liners of useless platitudes.

srfisher17

I pretty much agree with Sly's comments. That's why I have never recommended this to anyone. I replied to the original post and the thread has had several lives. I have only reported my experiences and admit they are not scientifically sound. In fact, I think this thing is responsible for a couple more benefits than I've posted. I have started to monitor my 2nd one of these, on a 180 FOWLR, and am starting to see the same initial results that I did with the first one. I thought about documenting, with measurements, photos, etc.; but on just one tank that would be worthless info. I am not a technical person, and really don't want to be one. I sure like the input of the members of this forum who can take on the technical questions,priceless info! However, I do have a lot of experience keeping marine fish alive & healthy for many years and trust my "fish" instincts.

srfisher17

A question for the more technical folks viewing this thread:
The co-owner of Reef Scapes in Pensacola that I mentioned in post #131 and I have had almost identical experiences with the Eco. Most notably decrease in skim quantity & lighter color, less film and algae on glass, and crystal clear water; plus some fish activity & color opinions that are hard to quantify. But I think our experience counts for something when comparing notes. Q: Is it possible that the Eco is acting, in a non-chemical way, like the polymer based water clarifiers on the market. Specifically, making the "gunk" particles attract to each other to the point where they would be removed by a mechanical filter? An off the wall question, I know; but I'm trying to grasp at something. Thanks!

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/2599931
A question for the more technical folks viewing this thread:
The co-owner of Reef Scapes in Pensacola that I mentioned in post #131 and I have had almost identical experiences with the Eco. Most notably decrease in skim quantity & lighter color, less film and algae on glass, and crystal clear water; plus some fish activity & color opinions that are hard to quantify. But I think our experience counts for something when comparing notes. Q: Is it possible that the Eco is acting, in a non-chemical way, like the polymer based water clarifiers on the market. Specifically, making the "gunk" particles attract to each other to the point where they would be removed by a mechanical filter? An off the wall question, I know; but I'm trying to grasp at something. Thanks!
How if the particulates aren't magnetic?