Anyone from the Chicago area

atrim55

Originally Posted by Jmick
That ***** is right down the road from me, their prices are low but their fish are very unhealthy, last time I went in (few weeks ago) they had issues with ick and Hlle. I kind of like Tropiquatics in Lombard for a cheap source of fish but try not to ask for info because their staff is surely lacking.
Yes, been there a few times poor yellow tangs have black ick and looks like hlle. The angel has full blown ick also.I havent seen them do anything to help them yet. But most petcos dont have salt water anymore. That one has the most selection out of any ***** i have seen so far.
Also Sea Escapes South elgin is another store.

V

vero

Where's A Good Place To Get Some Lr For A Fair Price.... Also Might Want To Check Out Go Fish In Orland Park.. Very Knowledgeable And Good Variety.

royalgamma

stopped in at sho tanks today...pretty nice ...prices are alittle high but not outragous. nice selection of corals ...nice show tanks too.

salt newbee

Oceans Floor carries many live goods and they will order whatever you want, as for dry goods if they can't get it for a good price they will tell you where to get it cheap.

discus guy

alot of people dont like beyond the reef in schaumburg that have posted on this board. i have to disagree if u ever go in there talk to a guy named chris he will tell u honestly what is the best option for u and he will even give u a cheaper option but he will also say the cheaper option might not work. they are alittle bit pricey on some of there stuff but if u need something quick they are one of the best in the area. they are even starting to frag alot of corals for people and holding them a few weeks to see if they attach to small lr. i have a 24 nano and all my corals and fish are from them and my tank if flourishing. i have two black and white clowns , abluespotted goby, two mushroom rocks a frogspawn frag that has branched in less then three weeks ,a toadstool frag that has almost doubled in size in about four weeks, a finger coral that looks awesome in color and size plus has grown in a month and they have nice sales once a month. some of there sales are even better then some websites deals whic is pretty hard to do. and i have visited almost every store posted on the thread. i love tropi-quatic for my freshwater fish but saltwater they are nt so great. Aquarium Adventures had one good employee there and he quit because they werent taking care of the fish or the corals good enough. scott's in westchest is ok but doesnt have a great selection of corals just mostly fish at scott's.

sparkee61

Pet Haven in Valparaiso has great prices on coral and fish. Great help! Great people. Also, in Hobart , In., the is Seascapes. Again, great assortment and great help. They won't sell anything unless it will fill your needs.

carter3

Originally Posted by Gmidd
I'm located in Alsip (South Suburb) and the nearest one for me is Aquatica in Tinley Park. It's not to big and I'm very new to the hobby so I'm open to new stores if its not to far out of the way.

Aquatic Environments just open up. 18700 Wolf Rd. Monkena IL. Also I found a place on 25 Halsted. Will also order what ever u want and very knowlegdeable. Cool people.

anubisxero

Do you know if any of these places sell Live Sand? It's a pain in the butt to get, my LFS here in Rockford has this rubbley crushed lr in the bottom of one of their LR tanks and i just noticed yesterday it's full of microstars amphipods copepods so i'm trying to get a couple scoops from there but it's a pain. ;/
I bought my new 90gal RR at sea escapes. They were helpful. The living stuff looks nice from the few times i've been in there.
Jason

discus guy

most of the stores on here sell live sand beyond the reef u can get the bagged stuff or get some from there tanks but its more expensive out of there tanks

anubisxero

Originally Posted by discus guy
most of the stores on here sell live sand beyond the reef u can get the bagged stuff or get some from there tanks but its more expensive out of there tanks
I want the real stuff, with all the macro critters. Not the bagged bacteria. i've already got plenty beneficial bacteria.

anubisxero

beyone the reef sells it but its kinda pricey i think like almost 6 bucks a pound
im not surprised. it's tough coming by the good stuff.

npage

anyone else know of any good stores in the schaumburg area of chicago
Advanced Aquatics--Schaumburg on Roselle Rd between Wise and Nerge
Beyond The Reef--Schaumburg on Golf just west of Roselle Rd

mr. limpid

Just found a great shop it QT. all the fish for 12 days b4 it sells them. And when I walked in I told him that some people I work with told me of his shop he gave me a $20 gift card free. How cool is that. Very nice corals gave me a tour of the back room very impresive filtration system and holding tanks. The place is called Sea Schor in Buffalo Grove 400 W. Dundee.

npage

Here is a list of LFS in the Chicagoland area that are sponsors of CMAS (Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society)
Advanced Aquatics 879 S. Roselle, Schaumburg, IL 60193
Aqariclean, Inc - 5342 N. Northwest Hwy, Chicago, IL 60630
Aquatic Reef - 737 S. 8th Street (Rt 31), West Dundee, IL 60118
Aquatica - 16649 S. Oak Park Ave.D, Tinley Park, IL 60477
Beyond the Reef - 205 W. Golf, Schaumburg, IL 60195
Coral Paradise - 24 E. Northwest Highway, Arlington Heights 60004
Coral Reef Pet Center - 7723 W. Lawrence Ave.,Norridge, IL 60706
Deep Reef Aquatics - 2009 W. 63rd St., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Fish Rac Inc. - 1512 N. Elmhurst Rd, Mt. Prospect, IL 60056
Glen Ellyn Pet Center - 682 Roosevelt Rd., Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
Living Sea Aquarium - 811 W. Devon, Park Ridge, IL 60068
Ocean Floor - Lake In The Hills, IL
Petland - 720 S. Rte. 59, Naperville, IL 60565
Reef Dweller - 5858 N Lincoln Ave., Chicago, IL 60659
Reef Supply - 17850 Maple Park Dr., Maple Park, IL 60151
Scott's Pet Shop - 3054 S. Wolf Rd., Westchester, IL 60154
Sea Shore Saltwater Environments - 400 W. Dundee, Buffalo Grove, IL 60006
Sharky's Reef - Lake Villa, IL
Sho Tank Aquariums - 545 N. Lake St., Mundelein, IL 60060
Tropi-Quatics Pet - 337 S. Main Lombard, IL
Of the half of these Ive been to, Ive been impressed by all of them.