Anyone here cook "natural foods" for their dog?

cranberry

It's nothing to do with ANY of the answers pertaining to the questions I asked.
I'm sorry if I took offense to all of the nasty names and things you said about me in your little SWF Facebook group. Pretend to be sweet and nice out here all you want, but maybe a screen caption of what you've been saying behind my back like a child would help jog your memory. Of course I would have to edit 1/2 the words because this is a family site.
But think what you may. Good Lord, I'm not going to save babies lives at night and fight with odd internet personalities in the day..... I'm above it and will let it go.
Oscar Mike

socal57che

I'm sorry if I took offense to all of the nasty names and things you said about me in your little SWF Facebook group. Pretend to be sweet and nice out here all you want, but maybe a screen caption of what you've been saying behind my back like a child would help jog your memory. Of course I would have to edit 1/2 the words because this is a family site.

But think what you may. Good Lord, I'm not going to save babies lives at night and fight with odd internet personalities in the day..... I'm above it and will let it go.

Oscar Mike
I'm game. Nothing I said was out of line.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal57che http:///t/388377/anyone-here-cook-natural-foods-for-their-dog/40#post_3425817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///t/388377/anyone-here-cook-natural-foods-for-their-dog/40#post_3425815
Oscar Mike
I'm game. Nothing I said was out of line.
I also said nothing out of line....and I think it is obvious who I am....

darthtang aw

i wont deny it. I made a comment...big surprise there. ah...but had you not had a hissy fit and left...you would have also seen I had you confused with someone else. oh well...life is that way. damn i have been outed...i am a jerk on facebook as well. go figure. no one else said anything mean or not....in fact many were trying to contact you....
darth (ruining lives on facebook since 2011l Tang
P.S.... I pretend nothing.

sepulatian

Renee I am very sorry about your dog and I hope that you are able to make his golden years as enjoyable as possible.

geridoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/388377/anyone-here-cook-natural-foods-for-their-dog#post_3424936
Natural food for a dog is not cooked. This is an oxymoron. The dog has only been domesticated for about 100 years. This is not enough time for their digestive system to evolve to truly handle cooked food. Thus why many premium kibble foods low temp cook the kibble. So as not to kill certain enzymes, prebiotics, and probiotics. (Contrary to popular belief, iams is not a premium food).
Depending on why you are looking into this there are several options and ways to approach a dog's diet. What are your goals and what is the problem. Also what is your budget?
Darth (think i am gonna get irritated) Tang
I think you need to have your keyboard looked at - it seems to have omitted a few zeros after "100 years". Dogs have been domesticated for many thousands of years, and recently that was pushed back even further by the finding of a dog skeleton with a mastodon bone in its mouth, probably part of a burial ritual, that took place more than 50,000 years ago.

darthtang aw

from a diet standpoint my comment is correct. unless you have some scientific proof they were eating kibble and cooked food regularly thousands of years ago. how long is a dogs digestive system compared to that of a humans. not equal at al. therefore the dog has not evolved domestically to properly digest all the nutrients out of cooked food. there system is not meant to process such high quantities of corn and other such fillers placed in dog foods today. Heck...even a human system can not process corn fully yet. and we have been eating far longer.
darth (muchless sawdust) Tang

geridoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/388377/anyone-here-cook-natural-foods-for-their-dog/40#post_3425959
from a diet standpoint my comment is correct. unless you have some scientific proof they were eating kibble and cooked food regularly thousands of years ago. how long is a dogs digestive system compared to that of a humans. not equal at al. therefore the dog has not evolved domestically to properly digest all the nutrients out of cooked food. there system is not meant to process such high quantities of corn and other such fillers placed in dog foods today. Heck...even a human system can not process corn fully yet. and we have been eating far longer.
darth (muchless sawdust) Tang
Kibble - yes, much less than 100 years. I recall my first dog, Lucky, was fed canned dog food that consisted primarily of parts of animals that couldn't be sold for human consumption. Kibble is a very recent development. As omnivores, dogs have fairly lengthy small intestines (compared to complete carnivores), so they can probably deal with whatever they consume. Omnivores and carnivores do not digest corn fully because their digestive tracts are too short and they lack the enzymes to digest the cellulose in the cell walls of the corn kernels. The problem with corn syrup sweeteners isn't the digestive part of the process, but the cell absorption step. Glucose absorption into body cells is under the control of insulin, so it is closely regulated. On the other hand, fructose (corn sweetener) enters cells without any control mechanism, so cells become swamped with the stuff, and lack the metabolic mechanisms to deal with so large a load, so it stores the energy. This is why fructose sweeteners are associated with obesity. But it has nothing to do with the digestive tract itself.

dragonzim

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeriDoc http:///t/388377/anyone-here-cook-natural-foods-for-their-dog/40#post_3426266. On the other hand, fructose (corn sweetener) enters cells without any control mechanism, so cells become swamped with the stuff, and lack the metabolic mechanisms to deal with so large a load, so it stores the energy. This is why fructose sweeteners are associated with obesity. But it has nothing to do with the digestive tract itself.
Interesting... I didnt know that.. You see all the commercials on TV these days by the corn growers claiming how Corn Sugar is exactly the same as real sugar and that the body doesnt know the difference... Knew it was BS, but didnt know why...

darthtang aw

Kibble - yes, much less than 100 years.  I recall my first dog, Lucky, was fed canned dog food that consisted primarily of parts of animals that couldn't be sold for human consumption.  Kibble is a very recent development.  As omnivores, dogs have fairly lengthy small intestines (compared to complete carnivores), so they can probably deal with whatever they consume.  Omnivores and carnivores do not digest corn fully because their digestive tracts are too short and they lack the enzymes to digest the cellulose in the cell walls of the corn kernels.  The problem with corn syrup sweeteners isn't the digestive part of the process, but the cell absorption step.  Glucose absorption into body cells is under the control of insulin, so it is closely regulated.  On the other hand, fructose (corn sweetener) enters cells without any control mechanism, so cells become swamped with the stuff, and lack the metabolic mechanisms to deal with so large a load, so it stores the energy.  This is why fructose sweeteners are associated with obesity.  But it has nothing to do with the digestive tract itself.

that has some to do with it. dogs are actually more carnivore than omnivore. while a small amount of vegetables is good...that is all they need is a small amount. a dogs digestive system is incapable of breaking down cellulose. which is the wall in most vegetables. unless turned into a mash either through pureeing them or grinding them up, most vegetables will go undigested fully. dogs also need a proper calcium to phosphorus ratio to ensure optimum health. a diet of about 15% raw bones will maintain this. as raw bones naturally have the correct ratio. once they are cooked, the ratio is no longer correct as the cooking or boiling process alters this ratio greatly. this is why good kibbles will add phosphorus or calcium to even the levels back out. this is just one reason when i see "cooking natural foods" i have to laugh. cooked food for a dog is not natural. if it was...the acidity levels in their stomach would be closer to ours then being so much higher. this is why salmanella in general is not a problem for dogs.