Anyone know of this type of lionfish

fish4901

At my lfs they have lion fish marked as peacock lionfish. I haven't heard of this type on this board so I was wondering what they were. They are really light in color. They almost look like a peach color or really light pink or red. Anyone have an idea???

gasguzzler

I looked in every book I had and cant find it. Try calling the LFS and ask for a scientific name. I can help you then. Maybe.

chandler04

All lions kinda DO look peacockish come to think of it. It could me a fu manchu, or just a volitan??? Radiata? Maybe russels lion? O well, try to snap a pic I guess.

fish4901

Ok it is nothing like the fu manchu! It is kind of like the volation just alot lighter in color. Like i said it is kind of like a peach color. Anyway next time I go to the my lfs I'll ask them for the scientific name or if it has another common name.
Thanks for everyones help!!!
I'll try to find out what it is.

beach bum

well that is a Russells lionfish, Pterois russelli
here is a photo from a few years ago of mine.
It shows a Volitans and a Russell's side by side (you can really see the differences in this photo) The Rusell's don't get quite as large in length or in girth.

fmarini

common names stink....
actually peacock lions tend to be the P Antennata's as they have full eyespots of their pectoral fins.
P volitans and Russelss are called Turkey fish, or "lionfish" a catchall name...Yuck.
What color was the fish?
red striped, brown striped, solid red or brownish
did it have full pec fin rays like the volitans or just thin fin rays
frank

chandler04

Doesn anyone know if mine is a russels? Cuz I noticed he has longer pectoral fins thatn traditionally on a volitan, they are usually shorter. Thanx

fish4901

I would say the picture posted by beach bum and the lionfish on the right. The color looked almost identical. The really light colored. It isn't dark or bold colored like all the other pictures of lionfish I have seen.

beach bum

They are also known as "clearfin" lionfish, notice on the tail anal and dorsal fins, there are no spots, both on mine and the pictures that Chandler posted from Conogre.
Sometimes the juvenile P. russelli will have a few spots around the edged of those fins, but adults will not. Chandler04 your's look like a P. volitans, exactly how big is it? I ask because on Pterois lions the pec fins are always longer relative to body size the younger they are, as they grow the length of the pec fin 'streamers' do not grow in correlation, they "grow into their fins" so to speak.
hth,
bb

chandler04

I think he is actually a pterois Volitan. I just read an article today on them. But, here is a more recent pic. I just noticed to difference between regular volitans and mine was that their fins were more like a dwarf fuzzies, but the pterois have more flow to them.