anyone use tap water?

squirreloso

Originally Posted by srfisher17
Why would you want to use this water? It really won't help to cycle your SW tank; that is done by bacteria that live in the sand, rock, filter media, etc. Given what goldfish can live in, this water is probably worse than any tap water you could find. However, if you do use it (please don'T, and it works, please let me know! I might quote it in the never ending tap or RO discussion. (I don't call it a debate; because, as so many have said, it depends on your tap water---and many other variables).
i keep their water at optimal levels, as you can see i listed thier water param's above. nitrates are only 5ppm. i do weekly 25% water changes on this tank and wash out the canister filter every week, which is kept very clean, no gooky stuff is it in.
goldfish have to be kept in extremely good water quality, its a myth that they can live in filth, they cannot. they need nitrates below 20 ppm or they develop problems. keep in mind i dont keep regular comet goldfish(aka feeders)
i keep exotic high quality goldfish with unatural body shapes (made that way by man) unfortunelety these ball shaped bodies are loaded with problems, problems that high nitrates only make worse and will lead to their death in time.
the reason why i thought of using the same water is because its really hard to drain 220 gallons. ive done it only once before and i nearly had to call the plumber to fix a problem.
the tank is down the basement, with only one small bar sink that was added because of the tank. the sink cant drain like a normal sink can, it has an electric sump pump thingy that flushes the water up to the drain. this is incredibly slow and doesnt hold much water, after around 50 gallons it tends to over flow slightly. i have to wrap it up with towels etc. to keep from flooding the floor.
and to use an aquarium pump to drain it, well the closest window is 20 feet away, i know pumps will turn to a trickle at just 10 feet away, so 20 it might not even do anything.
so this is why i thought of using the goldies water

but if i have no choice then of course i'll have to use my odd sink and a ton of towels to drain this sucker

this is Elmer, hes a high quality imported ranchu

ric maniac

my god, if you even use our tap water here to thaw out your food the hair algea takes over. i would never in a million years use our tap water for anything (even drinking) after my hair alge outbreak that made me consider giving up fish keeping all together. lol

flcandy

I LOVE THAT FISH! LMAO

So fat! HAHA

Looks like the fantail I had but poofier! LMAO
I would use the water if it is not to dirty just know your still going to get a cycle and I would make sure all was immaculate before adding SW fish.

dreamer44

your tank is in the basement....is your washing machine also in the basement?? if so you could drain it through the washing machine....we have a small bar sink in our basement too, and it is wicked slow at draining, but my washing machine does a great job....if I were in your position, and needed to empty it, I would drain it in my washer....
just a thought...
good luck,,,and oh yea...Cute fishee!
Lori

squirreloso

Elmer says thank you

no the washing machine is upstairs :(
when we had the basement finished i told the guy im getting a large tank and i need a wet bar sink so i can do water changes etc on the tank.
i had no clue he was gonna do some lame a$$ contraption that had to pump water "up" to the pipes then down the drain

as for algae and my tap water, i have 3 freshwater tanks going and none of them ever had an algae problem, and they are quite overstocked.
so maybe saltwater will have the same results

lighting has more of an impact on algae than anything else, without light yer not gonna get algae

the 220g only has three 20 watt tubes over it, its 30" deep, pretty dim, so i dont think algae will or even could be an issue with that lighting

hammerhed7

check out aqua safe systems on the auction site, I have had one for 2 years, great for the price. 5 stage RO/DI

B

bkneeland

I also use tap water, it is actually well water from our 200 foot deep well...I do age it for 24-48 hours first though

titan

I personally don't use tap water but if your concerned about mineral and chemical additives just get your water tested. My tapwater is crystal clear, but has considerably higher phosphates than R/O water.

1journeyman

The tapwater discussion seems primarily to revolve around chlorines (letting it sit and aerate) and nitrates and phosphates.
There are other things to worry about. Many houses use copper pipes for one thing. Not to mention the other metals typically found in your local water.

squirreloso

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
The tapwater discussion seems primarily to revolve around chlorines (letting it sit and aerate) and nitrates and phosphates.
There are other things to worry about. Many houses use copper pipes for one thing. Not to mention the other metals typically found in your local water.
hmm i wonder if i have metals in my water. i did get the annual report about a month ago..i didnt look at the metal part, if it even was listed.
but when a dechlorinator says "removes heavy metals" doesnt that mean it will remove it???
as for copper pipes, im in a new house and its all pvc

1journeyman

Originally Posted by squirreloso
hmm i wonder if i have metals in my water. i did get the annual report about a month ago..i didnt look at the metal part, if it even was listed.
but when a dechlorinator says "removes heavy metals" doesnt that mean it will remove it???
as for copper pipes, im in a new house and its all pvc
I could see a dechlorinator "binding" metal, but not removing it.. Where would it go?

Hi
That's a very nice ranchu you have. I don't think anything can beat out Fancy Goldfish in terms of fishkeeping. I have a few Ranchus I import from Japan.
They are man made fish, extremly hard to take care.

squirreloso

Originally Posted by 3stripedamsel
Hi
That's a very nice ranchu you have. I don't think anything can beat out Fancy Goldfish in terms of fishkeeping. I have a few Ranchus I import from Japan.
They are man made fish, extremly hard to take care.
thank you

ive kept many critters in my time, and yep the goldfish are the hardest. the poor things, they always come down with something :(
people think corals are hard they should try ranchus