Anyone who is dieting!!

happyvac

I got a question for all you dieticians and such out there:
I'm a growing kid, so should my caloric intake be kinda skewed? According to the formula I should be less than 700 a day, but my parents have me eating 1000 or so. I exercise, do strength-training, and have a 15 BMI.

yimmy

I am 6ft 1 in and way 120...skinny little kid. I do weights, track and I mountain bike, landed in a cactus last summer in sedona. Was a pain in the butt...literally. Eating right is a good step but you gotta run or something. JMO, I'm almost 15 and run the mile in 6:42, o yeah!

bluelagoon

Originally Posted by HappyVac
I got a question for all you dieticians and such out there:
I'm a growing kid, so should my caloric intake be kinda skewed? According to the formula I should be less than 700 a day, but my parents have me eating 1000 or so. I exercise, do strength-training, and have a 15 BMI.
the average, healthy-weight person should be consuming 2000 calories a day. how tall are you? how much do you weigh? do you excercise? a BMI of 15 is underweight...
BMI Weight Status
Below 18.5 Underweight
18.5 – 24.9 Normal
25.0 – 29.9 Overweight
30.0 and Above Obese
*from http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/calc-bmi.htm

rberhow

Just an FYI, the BMI is a helpful gauge in weight loss and evaluation but is not a completely accurate of the entire picture. A person should also have their body fat measured and that will be a good indicator of where you are also. This is an actual test of you, not based on a general calculation. Just thought I would throw that out there.
HappyVac-BlueLagoon gave you very good advice. As a growing kid, who obviously doesn't have weight problems, it appears your caloric intake should be higher. When calculating how many calories you should consume, you also have to consider how active you are on a regular basis as well. As a growing kid, you also don't want to deprive yourself of key nutrients at this point in your life. Just something to consider. Try using these calculators to see what kind of info you can find. There are many to choose from but the daily caloric one sounds like it may be of help to you. http://diet.ivillage.com/healthcalc

bluelagoon

yes happyvac... you should probably be getting more calories in a day... calories are energy for you, and without enough you will lose weight and energy. you don't have to go all out and eat tons of calories a day, but protein is always good for you and does have some calories!

matty0h_52

Originally Posted by Yimmy
I am 6ft 1 in and way 120...skinny little kid. I do weights, track and I mountain bike, landed in a cactus last summer in sedona. Was a pain in the butt...literally. Eating right is a good step but you gotta run or something. JMO, I'm almost 15 and run the mile in 6:42, o yeah!
Just wate for about 6 years thats when it all counts. I was 5'9 125lbs wet with rocks in my pockets at your age (no fat though im shure mostley bone) couldnt bench more then mabey 85lbs no kidding. The only sport i was comfortable doing was wrestling. Now im 22 and weigh 202 at 6'1. Your doing great 6:42 thats pritty good. I wouldnt hit the weights to hard i would work on running and endurance. Sports training is allways good for yunger guys. they seem to love it at my gym, and not all of them do sports. keep up the good work.