Anyone with successful reef without a fuge/sump?

timsedwards

Hi Guys,
Just wondered, does anyone have a good/successful reef tank without the aid of a sump/fuge of any kind? If so can they post pics?
Thanks!
Tim.

nas19320

I consider my reef to be pretty successful so far though still rather young and I don't have a sump or refuge.

suver569

Oh sure, I had a fuge setup for about a month, but one of the seams split. I abandoned the fuge, and wasnt able to setup another. I've been running for about 8 months with no fuge quite well.
No pic yet, waiting for my mother in law to forward me the pics from her camera. Might have them today.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
My tank is setup without fudge or sump. I have several PHs and a skimmer.

F

fishlovr

My 75 is sumpless. I have a Remora Pro, an Emperor 280 and an Emperor 400 on it. I also have several powerheads running. I just got actinic 03's to replace the 7100K bulbs that came with my CSL PC hood. I really like them soooo much better! It has been doing quite well for about a year:) HTH
fishlovr

F

fishlovr

Good skimmer, weekly water changes, not overfeeding, seem to work for me:)

F

fishlovr

I do about 10 percent every week to 10 days......I also run PhosBan in a media container inside my Emperor 400 all the time. Once a month I run extra carbon in a Magnum 350 canister for a few hours.
HTH
fishlovr

suver569

I do about 5% every other week. Been a rough year for money, so I'll be picking it up a bit now that i'm working again. 10% a week is about what i'll be doing.
Dont get me wrong, a fuge is in the works again. The benifits IMO, are huge. They are definately not 100% required.
My LFS has 2 extremly successful tanks, make that 3 setup in there store with nothing more than LR, DSB, and a protein skimmer. Lights of course.

schneidts

Fishlovr, your tank looks great!:yes: I'm starting my 55 gal real soon and have been fighting with the decision to go fuge or not. Think I'll start w/out and add later.

rwhite

We dont have a fuge on our 55 and there are some nice tanks shown above that seem to be fine. We're running a Penguin 330 and Fluval 304 (not sure if thats considered a sump) with 2 Maxi-jet 600s and a Prizm skimmer. We do have macros in the tank for some help and water changes are about every 2-3 weeks max. about 10-15% depending on param check. So far so good but I must admit we dont have a lot of livestock/corals. Try to post a recent pic in a minute.

enomadra

I do a 10% water change each week without fail and do not have a fudge. My tank is not the greatest but I love it.:D

artista

There is a January Tank of the month at another reef site that is beautiful and he only has hang on tank equiptment. It can be done :)

F

fishlovr

Thanks for the compliment, Schneidts:) Hope you have good luck with your 55. Send a pic in to SWF when it's up and running......