Aptasia & Flatworms

dc2mlbsm

Peppermint Shrimps eat aiptasia...And I believe the Coral Banded Shrimp eats flatworms (not sure on this one)

lietz06

Originally Posted by dc2mlbsm
http:///forum/post/3292894
Peppermint Shrimps eat aiptasia...And I believe the Coral Banded Shrimp eats flatworms (not sure on this one)
Unfortantly I can't have any shrimpies. My hawkfish gobbles them up. Any other ideas?

lietz06

Ya, I have a reef...I've seen that some ppl can keep them but I don't want to risk it. No, how do you kill it yourself?
PS. What kind of coral is that in your display pic? I really like it:)

meowzer

For aptasia.....Joes juice has worked great for me....I HAD peppermint shrimp until I got my Flame Hawk :(
for the flatworms, I hear 6line wrasses eat them (I think some other wrasses may too) But a 6line is reef safe
as far as a copperband......that fish was suggested to me in my reef tank....from what I have been told....they mostly DON'T eat the corals.....LOL...I also am not sure I want to risk it

dc2mlbsm

Well I too have an aiptasia problem and I use Aiptasia X (you just inject it with a chemical) by Red Sea
I believe it is a Glass Goblet (I'm not sure thought it was sold to me as a Brain Coral) and thanks its my favorite coral so far...really like the way it eats

flower

Originally Posted by dc2mlbsm
http:///forum/post/3292894

I know the coral banded shrimp will kill cleaner shrimp..will it attack peppermints too?
I know OP said he/she can't have them, I was just curious.

ajroc31

In my experience with flatworms, the fish tend to eat the white ones, the nasty, toxic brown flatworms are left alone, since they are toxic. If you want to go natural, go with velvet nudi branch, if you could find one, and idiot proof every powerhead, overflow box, and whatever else can suck them in. They are all suicidal and just wait for a perfect moment to die. I promise you no one fish could put a hurt on them, they are hiding in low flow areas in your tank. Unless you just got few of them a week ago or so, you could get rid of them, past that, they will hide in every cravice of your lf. You could control them through detailed vacuuming every week or so, but it will only control them. There are chemicals, but the toxins from the fws could wipe your tank out.

B

beffsmiff

I have read a post a while ago about capturing the worms with a tube filled with food and then once they get in they can't get out and you can get rid of them. I will try to find that link.

king_neptune

Skipped to the end sorry, just basicly skimmed.
Copperband and pepermints ok.
Copperband looks like your avoiding for obvious reasons. Pepermints are hit and miss. LEts just say out of half dozen pepermints, ive had all miss. And they only last 6 months.
Look into the berghia nudibranch
People sometimes advertise on craigs list. They breed readily in your tank, and eat ONLY aptasia, they will die when its all gone. And they will smite it with Godlike wrath. Albeit slow wrath, but it will be smote nonetheless.
Tiny and expensive. Depending on your tank size. Half dozen for a 125g should take 2 months to clear out, if its a medium infestation. Ive had mine for a month(5 of em), and you dont see it day by day. But its about half what it was a few weeks ago. They only come out at night, so put em in and cross your fingers that you have a healthy tank. They are not very durable. But they do a great job! Prices vary. Craigs list and local reefers typically sell $10 each. Online its 15-20 each plus shipping.