aqpd. filter modification ???S

fishyapol

so i have heard that you can take the sponges and bio-balls and everything else back there and replace it with lr.. for filtration.. the reason why is because i have a problem with high nitrates and i think the sponges and are holding in alot of nitrates.. i have been using the sponges and ceramic rings for about a year and half now..about the same time i have had the tank.. so how can i make the switch over... so i have to start curing lr to put back there.. how much can i should i put? and do i take out the vent blockers.. if someone can please guide me doing this,, it would help out.. i am sick of having high nitrates.. and yes i do h2o changes every week. about 20%, feed every other day, and if there is anything i am missing please let me know... thanks

larryndana

most people take the sponges out as it will cause high nitrates. but also what kind of substrate do you have?
you say you do water changes, do you stir the sand bed when you do it, this will cause high nitrates as well.
as far as the ceramics and bio-balls, thats up to you.
how much lr and ls do you have?
how many fish, do you have a large bio load?

fishyapol

well here it is..

fish:perc, sixline, hawkfish,watchman
coral:frogspawn, hammer,gsp, some shrooms
over 20 pd of ls
25-30 pd of lr
just did test
ammonia-0
ph-8.1
nitrate-40
calcium-400
.. i dunno whats up..
help please..
REEFCRAZY
i like how you did that back there..did you do that before or did you change it recently??

reefcrazy81

i just wanted a easy way to get all live rock and cheato out,,,first day up and running tomorrow im getting more rock and maybe small coral or somthing

aztec reef

Originally Posted by REEFCRAZY81
i just wanted a easy way to get all live rock and cheato out,,,first day up and running tomorrow im getting more rock and maybe small coral or somthing
is your tank cycled? if not i wouldn't add a coral or anything just yet.

fishyapol

do you get light back there.. reason why i ask is that i think chaeto needs light.. correct me i am wrong please.

larryndana

i think it is the guy at fish store said should be good lr.ls.and ocean water o also cheato
so, what are your water parameters?
ammonia?
nitrites?
nitrates?
ph?
i'm sure if you are cycled you will know.

larryndana

Originally Posted by fishyapol
do you get light back there.. reason why i ask is that i think chaeto needs light.. correct me i am wrong please.

yes, it needs light.

reefcrazy81

on the aquapod 12 gal some light does get back thier i also took off my black cover over the back........and on the water parameters not sure yet going to have them checked tomorrow...........maybe small water change too.....

larryndana

on the aquapod 12 gal some light does get back thier i also took off my black cover over the back........and on the water parameters not sure yet going to have them checked tomorrow...........maybe small water change too.....
you should be able to check all your water parameters yourself, unless you are getting it verified by your lfs. as in verified, i mean you want to make sure you are getting what they get....are to explain i guess.

reefcrazy81

yes for black plastic took off first......and the water test they do all of them for free for me so i just have them do it

larryndana

and the water test they do all of them for free for me so i just have them do it
:scared:

bs21

black cover on the back is just tape so you can take a razor blade and cut it off if you want. As far as my 12g aquapod i removed the sponge and in the first 2 chambers used live rock rubble and used filter floss in the first chamber. reason is because i blocked the lower 2 intakes so filter floss removes large solids because it suface skims now.

suchin

this is what i did tell me what u think?
This looks awesome, the pic is a bit difficult to see. What do you have set up back there. I have had my tank for about 6-7 months and can't keep anything. Maybe I need to re-focus on adequate filteration.
I'm running out of ideas and my lfs says all of the parameters are in check.
I have abot 20lbs of liver sand, 16lbs of lr, and only filter floss. Good circulation of water, 81 degrees, all of that appears to be in check.