AquaC Remora or CPR Bak-Pak 2 skimmer

jenni1979

Does anyone know which of these skimmers are better? AquaC Remora or CPR Bak-Pak 2 skimmer. I currently have a Skilter and it is not working like a protein skimmer should. Please let me know what skimmer I should buy. I want something that works really well no matter how much the cost.

birdy

I am also looking at these two skimmers, from what I have been reading the aqua c remora seems to be the better skimmer. I have a prizm skimmer and I hate it.

jenni1979

Thanks for your help everyone. Also, I found out they have a CPR bak-pak 2R for reef tanks. It is just like the other one but without the biofilter. I have a reef tank and I am wondering if that would work better. Has anyone used this one? Should I just stick to the CPR bak-pak 2?

justinx

Go with the 2R, I have used one on my 20 since last august, and it has worked really really well . . . . once i got it adjusted and fine tuned, and broken in. It did take some time to get things working the way I wanted them to, but once I got to that point, it's like that rotsserie thing on the infomercials "Just set it . . . and forget it!" ( Yeah I know, no need to say it )

aileena

I used the bak pak on my 29g for 2 years and it did a good job no doubt...its a great hang-on skimmer...the rio pump runs a little loud though in my opinion...
I just bought a remora pro for my 60g and have been running it for 1 week...it is nice....The pro is bigger than the regular remora however...In the week I had it its worked great....even with the rio 1400 it seems quieter than the pak bak...
I think these two skimmers work differently too which is important to note...one is a venturi skimmer and the other has a special patented spray induction. The bak pak uses the venturi as do most protein skimmers...'
I put my vote in for the remora...but make sure you get the maxijet 1200 pump

S

simm

I have the bakpak 2r and have not had a lick of problems with it yet.

reefnut

Originally posted by beaslbob
I think skimmers are overpriced and unecessary.

This kind of thinking is why your nitrates are so high ;)

jenni1979

I think skimmers are overpriced and unecessary.
Then explain my nitrate problem in my tank! I even have a skimmer. it is a Skilter250 and it is the worst piece of junk I could have bought.

beaslbob

Originally posted by Jenni1979
Then explain my nitrate problem in my tank! I even have a skimmer. it is a Skilter250 and it is the worst piece of junk I could have bought.

(in response to my "i think skimmers are overpriced and unecessary).
My point was you would have less nitrate problems and a more balanced and stable tank if you took the same amount of money you spend on a skimmer and bought a larger tank, added macro algae and so on. $160 for a tube with a cup and a bunch of bubbles is just not worth it. Further, i would rather that tank take care fo the wastes then remove them from the system.

birdy

I do agree that a refugium with macro algae is a great thing to have to reduce nitrates (I have one set up on my tank). But I do not agree that skimmers are unecessary, I have run tanks with skimmers and some without and by far the tanks with skimmers have superior water quality than the ones without. As far as not removing waste from the water, it really doesn't make any sense to me, a closed system like an aquarium cannot process all the waste, the ocean is constantly getting different water and removing waste through the currents, we accomplish this with protein skimming, and water changes. I don't think I would want to be a fish living in a tank without a protein skimmer or water changes. I don't deny that you can run a refugium as your main source of filtration but I would still continue to run a skimmer. Especially if I had lionfish or other messy eaters. I do not really want to start a debate, everyone has thier own opinions and ways of doing things but if you look at the way most successful tanks are run they use protein skimmers, water changes, and a lot use refugiums with macro algae.

beaslbob

Oh okay. Nobody ever explained that to me. I thought a protein skimmer was always necessary.

As noted my view is a little controversial today. i first set up a saltwater tank in the late 70's skimmers were either unheard of at at least brand new and experimental. So the standard was to not use a skimmer. I also set up my freshwater tanks with no circulation and no filtration other that that provided by the plants. Despite that, my current freshwater is a 10g with crystal clear water (2 year running), no circulation, no filtration and over 30 fish are currently in the tank and all but 3 have grown up in the tank.
As pointed out I do have nitrAtes higher than yours in my 55g. That tank had been setup for only 6 months, has just started spreading corraline algae, macro algae has started to remain with less replacement from my 20g macro algae culture tank. The water is clear, the fish healthy, ammonia and nitrItes are stable at 0.0, ph stable at about 8.2 to 8.4, and nitrates are trending downward. I do have a hob filter which I clean half the pads on each week. My 20g macro algae has no filtration or circulation and the water is clear, nitrAtes 0.0 and a molly grew up from 3/16" to over 2"(despite not being fed).
I all my tanks for the last 30 years, I just replace the water the evaporates with untreated tap water. I have not done a waterchange in that time. And again the result is clear water with lush plant growth and minimal nusiance algae growth.
Back in the 70's we did not need skimmers we just let that tanks stable out and grow plants and (in salt water) algae. Dispite the lack of skimmers, the water was clear and the fish and plants could not tell the difference.
Skimmers probably do everything stated. And if the cost $5.99 I would probably have one also. but at $160 I would much rather have a larger tank or macro algae or marine plants. I would much rather have the fish waste treated by biological action in the tank itself than have any mechanism removing that waste and therefore preventing the buildup of benificial bacteria in the tank.

jenni1979

I agree with you there on how expensive they are. I might try the micra algea and see if that works since it is so much cheaper and it seems like it would be better for the tank since it is not mechanical. How long does it take for the algea to start working. I need to get rid of my nitrates ASAP.

beaslbob

I agree with you there on how expensive they are. I might try the macro algea and see if that works since it is so much cheaper and it seems like it would be better for the tank since it is not mechanical. How long does it take for the algea to start working. I need to get rid of my nitrates ASAP.

Algae starts working immediately. Just got to get enough of the stuff. Also fish like to eat it (especially tangs). that is the reason I culture it in a seperate container. My 20g macro algae tank had a sick angle fish dead in it for 3 days (I was away). Needless to say ammonia, nitrItes and Nitrates pegged the test kits. All were 0.0 in about three weeks. (that was with no bio load however). Any amount of macro without any other changes will reduce your nitrAtes from what they would have been without the macro algae added. It is just a matter of getting enough to get them down to 0.0. My email beaslbob@aol.com

aileena

well I wish I could put my skimmer on BOBS tank for a week and get paid $$$ for how much crap it pulls out...
sure you can run w/o a skimmer...you can drive a motorcycle without a helmet and drive a car without a seatbelt. but forget the analogies...
I would never run a sw tank without a skimmer and live rock...old timers do it different I guess