Aquacultured live rock....

Hi everyone,
I''m looking at live rock from a vendor in Florida that apparently "grows" their live rock from seeded rock that was placed in the Gulf of Mexico several years ago. This company has been around since the 70's and has been cultivating live rock for many years. According to the pictures on the site, there is incredible growth of many different hard corals, sponges, tunicates, all sorts of critters including clams. Apparently this is how you receive the rock, encrusted with coral and chock full of life and growth. The prime Fiji rock we have purchased has the characteristic bumps and purple color, but very little to no growth of anything as of yet.
I would like to know if anyone has purchased aquacultured live rock and is it as good as they claim?
Thanks!
:) Tracy

1journeyman

As I understand it, there is good and bad about Fl. rock. The good is that it is easy for the harvestors to access, and therefore gets to you in relatively "fresh" condition.
The downfall is that it is more dense than natural pacific rock.
Haven't seen any myself so my info could be a bit off

bang guy

I have about 200 pounds of aquacultured Florida Rock.
Pro =
Lots of life, critters. plants, corals, etc
No reefs are harmed.
Con = Lots of life, Aiptasia, Mantis, predatory Crabs, etc.
More Dense.
If I were to do it again?? Yep. I would do it the same way.

stonedpimp

i saw the live rock from tampa, i was wondering with all that life wouldent you need good lighting to keep it alive. im going with a fowlr trying to decide on lr. tampa looks the best. but with just no. flouresent lights, for now, would the nice colors just die off.

harlequin

Well its aquacultured for one, that by itself makes it 100% better than the best Figi availible. Plus you get loads of life on it, true some of it is bad but it can be taken care of. Nothing beats the other end of the token and finding you have a full colony of porceline crabs or corals and many other stowaways. FL rock is the way to go by far, plus you can call them and give specifications for the rock, big little, flat, round and they will take that into account when grabbing it. That last bit holds true for the outfit from Tampa, I dont know about the other place.

I have bought almost all of my live rock from this site. And I really liked it the only thing is the pieces are really big. But I did not have a problem breaking the pieces with a hammer.
Sarah :)