Aquaripure...Lab Rat

kiefers

I don't believe that you took off topic Corey, and thanks for clarifying the air stone thing. I "thought" a small airstone in the sump would be okay, appearently not Lol.... sorry Flower. did you get the experimental device yet?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/385846/aquaripure-lab-rat#post_3386474
From what I understand it's yes and no. The issues don't typically arise from the use of air pumps but more rather using compressed gas to deliver oxygen well above saturation levels to the point where very fine micro bubbles become compressed to the point that the water becomes milky looking and the micro bubbles aren't able to dissolve or escape to the surface. Unless you're witnessing clouds of micro fine air bubbles suspended in the water column then using an air pump shouldn't be a problem. I think this holds true for fresh and saltwater fish but since saltwater is denser than freshwater the micro bubbles will become compressed even smaller maximizing coalescence.. I'd be more worried about salt creep from the bubbles bursting at the surface. Sorry to take the thread off topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers
http:///forum/thread/385846/aquaripure-lab-rat/20#post_3386484
I don't believe that you took off topic Corey, and thanks for clarifying the air stone thing. I "thought" a small airstone in the sump would be okay, appearently not Lol.... sorry Flower. did you get the experimental device yet?
No..It is due to arrive today. I agree Corey..and thank you for your input

My mother is in the hospital, I have critters to take care of, some light cleaning (It's time to prepare for Sabbath) and I won't be home until later. My daughter came down from Wisconsin last night so I have some company.
Our device can't be set up until I get the Water change done..I have the water all set but it's a matter of time. It was injected with live bacteria before it left the Aquaripure facility. So I know I should get it hooked up and running ASAP...Sundown is after 8:00 tonight, so I should be able to get it in before Sabbath.
I will take a NO3 reading just before hook up and test as I go looking for it to drop and I will post all results.

spanko

Can't imagine at a few drips per second that would be enough to affect Ph if dripped into a high flow highly oxygenated area. Are you planning on running the skimmer with this too? That should help along with regular water changes. Also carbon based denitrators are less likely to affect Ph. Also keep an eye on Kh as the anaerobes consume carbonate. Again a good water change schedule should take care of this with no need for dosing other materials for maintenance.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///forum/thread/385846/aquaripure-lab-rat/20#post_3386538
Can't imagine at a few drips per second that would be enough to affect Ph if dripped into a high flow highly oxygenated area. Are you planning on running the skimmer with this too? That should help along with regular water changes. Also carbon based denitrators are less likely to affect Ph. Also keep an eye on Kh as the anaerobes consume carbonate. Again a good water change schedule should take care of this with no need for dosing other materials for maintenance.
Aquaripure says you don't need a skimmer..since they said I don't NEED it, not I should not use it, then I am going to run it anyway...if it draws clear for weeks on end then I will try without it, but as long as it draws out nasty it will remain plugged into it's happy home in my sump..
I was hoping to go to once a month water changes and not every other week like I'm doing now. +1 on the KH and PH..I will be watching all parameters to see what is affected and post the results.

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///forum/thread/385846/aquaripure-lab-rat/20#post_3386538

flower

Okay...I set the filter up...7:31pm Friday on the 27th of May 2011.
The unit itself is well built and looks good. It came with everything I needed and planty of hose. The small pump it comes with was not strong enough to push the filters drip tube water to the top of the tank as I first had it for easy reach, so I set it up in the sump...I didn't have any filter except a skimmer in the sump. The instructions say no bioballs, biowheels, underground filters or rubble in the sump...nothing except the Aquaripure...that was easy...LOL
Also water circulation is important, so it sounds just like regular vodka dosing. I'm a little confused on why it's safer.
All the dangers seem the same, watch for low PH, and low CO2. However a skimmer is not a must have...So if anyone thinks they can explain in terms I can understand, go for it.

• The booklet that came with the unit said I can run my skimmer but that it will create crazy bubbles so I should turn it down. Done.
    [*]
    As recommended I set it at 3 drips per second (it's as close to that as possible)
    [*]
    No feeding it for the first 3 days. So no vodka until Monday at 7:30pm
    NO3 right now. 40+

The last vodka dose was this morning at 6:30am 2.8 ml
    The instructions says to be sure and buffer the top off water. I always do so that's nothing new
I set the drip in the sump over the baffles where water is flowing into the return chamber. So after traveling over the baffles, and up the return hose and then dumped back the DT surface water that is boiling nicley....... should be plenty oxygenated.
Parameters:
PH: 8.2
KH: 13
Cal: 440
PO4: 0.5
NO3: 40+
78 Degrees
SG: 1.028 I'm still bringing it down slowly from 1.030 by adding RO in the sump, I should have the SG to 1.025 by Monday.

mproctor4

Tagging along....so glad we have a guinea pig

Did they give you any idea how long it might be before you start seeing results?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproctor4 http:///forum/thread/385846/aquaripure-lab-rat/20#post_3386643
Tagging along....so glad we have a guinea pig

Did they give you any idea how long it might be before you start seeing results?
The booklet says average is 4 to 6 weeks to go to 0. My nitrates are so high I am going with the maximum expectation of 8 to 12 weeks. I will/have been doing some small daily water changes, and it says that will help to bring nitrates to 0 faster as well. I have been swapping out about 2 gallons (1 in the morning and 1 at evening) a day for the last week...it's such a big tank so that may not be enough to do too much.
I do have one concern....I was dosing vodka and I'm not supposed to just stop..The Aquaripure does not get a vodke feeding until Monday..should I still dose until then, or let the new filter just take over????

kiefers

it has been reported that you may stop cold turkey. Your tank should not go through withdrawl, or have spikes in trates or phos. I read this somewhere and will try and find it for ya....

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///forum/thread/385846/aquaripure-lab-rat/20#post_3386734
it has been reported that you may stop cold turkey. Your tank should not go through withdrawl, or have spikes in trates or phos. I read this somewhere and will try and find it for ya....
okay unable to attach the thread so I will tell you tat no problems have been reported D/Cing your dosing. The thread is called" issues with interrupting vodka dosing/MB7

2quills

Yeah I believe Joe quit dosing cold turkey and didn't have any problems, maybe you can ask him?

kiefers

ya.... i just finished reading that whole thinggggggg even spankos post, didn't see any problems

flower

Then all is well. My fish seem happy enough. I have been doing little water changes daily too. I hope this works.

geoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/385846/aquaripure-lab-rat/20#post_3386640
Okay...I set the filter up...7:31pm Friday on the 27th of May 2011.
Also water circulation is important, so it sounds just like regular vodka dosing. I'm a little confused on why it's safer.
All the dangers seem the same, watch for low PH, and low CO2. However a skimmer is not a must have...So if anyone thinks they can explain in terms I can understand, go for it.
I would try to use the skimmer so you will see if there is any difference from strait vodka dosing and use of the filter. If you cut the skimmer out and the nitrate goes up you may think it is the filter.

spanko

My thought would be to change nothing you are doing, just add the aquaripure and see if has any affect.

flower

The only thing I was doing with vodka dosing was run a skimmer and water changes. So the only thing different is no vodka dosing. I was only dosing 3.5 weeks and up to 2.8 ml. So the vodka dosing wasn't even at a level to lower nitrates yet.
I had done a huge water change and nitrates had gone down to 10. By the very next day they were climbing to 20 then the next day 40, and by evening the third day 80. I did another water change and it has stayed at 40+ while I dosed vodka. It is remaining at 40+ even without vodka and letting this filter run. For the last week I have been doing small daily water changes, I'm thinking I should to do another big one...then feed this thing vodka tomorrow as instructed. The Aquaripure gets 8 ml of vodka right off the start.
The rocks and sand are my main filters, they break everything down to nitrates but I just am not able to export the nitrates out fast enough and it isn't converting to harmless gas. I have plenty of water movement, the top is boiling. It was all blamed on the canister filter and I switched to a sump/refugium with a good skimmer. I love the new system, it's so easy to care for and hide stuff like the heater...but it has not cured the nitrates nightmare. I don't want to add any coral until I get this cleared up. This tank used to look so nice, it looks so empty now, I miss my sea fans and I would love to try SPS corals.

kiefers

I would lax with the water changes. You have been doing them pretty much all week wether small or large. Is the only reason your doing these changes due to the nitrates?
For experimental reasons only, I would stop with the changes and allow the device to its thing.
Continue testing for water quality daily and document wether it increases or decreases. I understand that it can or will take several weeks for any changes to be noticable however this is to be an experiment of a device. If your nitrates spike over 40 I would obviously do a small change, no more no less.
got a pic of the device set up?

spanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///forum/thread/385846/aquaripure-lab-rat/20#post_3386910
I would lax with the water changes. You have been doing them pretty much all week wether small or large. Is the only reason your doing these changes due to the nitrates?
For experimental reasons only, I would stop with the changes and allow the device to its thing.
Continue testing for water quality daily and document wether it increases or decreases. I understand that it can or will take several weeks for any changes to be noticable however this is to be an experiment of a device. If your nitrates spike over 40 I would obviously do a small change, no more no less.
got a pic of the device set up?
Good point this my Doctor friend.