Aquaripure Nitrate filters

flower

I'm curious, and this is all hypothetical...... vodka dosing works but it’s dangerous. The aquapure filter is supposed to be safer. I know that corals look awesome and there is no algae when you use vodka dosing.

Spanko uses the vodka dosing so he can overfeed and still not pollute the tank. Once started it can’t be stopped (or so I heard) how would an aquapure filter work on a seahorse tank? They are such messy eaters, and algae on the plastic plants are a pain..corals would look great. Seahorses are fish, but I’m not so sure those critters could handle it.

novahobbies

I dunno. I'd be more tempted to test out the two little fishies reactor with biopellets in it first. This sounds a little iffy. For instance: If this product works SO much better than coil denitrators, why is the mini (which is a foot tall!!) only rated for 20g tanks? Meh.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///forum/thread/384495/aquaripure-nitrate-filters#post_3368408
I dunno. I'd be more tempted to test out the two little fishies reactor with biopellets in it first. This sounds a little iffy. For instance: If this product works SO much better than coil denitrators, why is the mini (which is a foot tall!!) only rated for 20g tanks? Meh.
That really doesn't answer my question...can you vodka dose a seahorse tank? I have no such plans..I'm just asking to be asking. I tried it on my reef tank and didn't like it..too scary worrying about CO2

novahobbies

Sorry, I was responding more to bowfish's original question.
In response to your questions; yes, you can dose carbon in a seahorse tank. I don't think it's a great idea to go full-out with vodka dosing in our horse tanks.... I don't dose more than 2 mL (1 in the morning, 1 in the evening) for my tank. I also use Microbacter7 to supplement the bacterial population. As for the CO2 issue and seahorses, I would make sure a protein skimmer was running to increase O2 saturation.

aquaripure

The mini has about the same capacity as the standard DIY "coil" denitrator but is much more compact and better built and will last a lifetime.
The Medium has 5 times the capacity of a DIY "coil" denitrator and is about the same size as one. Again, it is much better built and will last a lifetime.
The Aquaripure is MUCH safer than direct carbon dosing of a tank which is quite dangerous. The Aquaripure is completely safe when used as directed.
John Strawn
Aquaripure LLC

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaripure http:///forum/thread/384495/aquaripure-nitrate-filters#post_3380208
The mini has about the same capacity as the standard DIY "coil" denitrator but is much more compact and better built and will last a lifetime.
The Medium has 5 times the capacity of a DIY "coil" denitrator and is about the same size as one. Again, it is much better built and will last a lifetime.
The Aquaripure is MUCH safer than direct carbon dosing of a tank which is quite dangerous. The Aquaripure is completely safe when used as directed.
John Strawn
Aquaripure LLC
Please tell me you are going to stick around and that you are not here to just advertize...LOL...I so want to pick your brain, I was on your little web site that seems to have gone the way of the Dodo, and I had so many questions that never got answered.
Oh and by the way...WELCOME to the site!

flower

I guess he was just searching the web for the name Aquaripure and answering for the moment...I have so many things I want to ask, besides the one you just mentioned.
1. What indeed is the difference between our dosing our tanks directly and the Aquaripure?
2. I know dosing vodka gets rid of all algae, but what does that do to the snail and copepod (and other tiny critters) population?
3. If we are dosing our tanks and decide to get an Aquaripure...how do we make the switch?

spanko

#2 Dosing helps to get rid of the algae indirectly by reducing to an ultra low nutrient environment. Does not directly kill the algae but starves it out by feeding the heterotrophic bacteria that grow in population and consume the nutrients before they are available to the algae.
#3 I would thing there is not a real problem switching from direct dosing to the product he is endorsing. Instead of directly putting the carbon source into the tank you put it in the filter.

flower

What does the copepods and amphipods live on? Does dosing affect them at all...and what about the sand and the critters and fauna in that?

spanko

Any fauna that consumes only algae may in fact die off without a food source. However many of the beneficial CUC are omnivorous and will survive on any detritus as we want them to. Most snails and shelled animals are omnivores. Copepods are omnivores.

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/384495/aquaripure-nitrate-filters#post_3368248

I'm curious, and this is all hypothetical...... vodka dosing works but it’s dangerous. The aquapure filter is supposed to be safer. I know that corals look awesome and there is no algae when you use vodka dosing.

Spanko uses the vodka dosing so he can overfeed and still not pollute the tank. Once started it can’t be stopped (or so I heard) how would an aquapure filter work on a seahorse tank? They are such messy eaters, and algae on the plastic plants are a pain..corals would look great. Seahorses are fish, but I’m not so sure those critters could handle it.
Vodka dosing is just as dangerous as dosing with other chemicals IMO the dangerous thing is when to stop and hold. With Vodka once you find your happy place that is when you stay steady at that dose. No more no less.
Personally, I dose at small amounts throughout time and once I get my parameters where I am comfortable with (phos 0 and trates barely traceable) I dose at that amount and only that amount.
After a big W/C I hold on dosing for 2 days and start again at 2 ml. then gradually get back up to my 3.5ml. JMO

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///forum/thread/384495/aquaripure-nitrate-filters#post_3380365
Vodka dosing is just as dangerous as dosing with other chemicals IMO the dangerous thing is when to stop and hold. With Vodka once you find your happy place that is when you stay steady at that dose. No more no less.
Personally, I dose at small amounts throughout time and once I get my parameters where I am comfortable with (phos 0 and trates barely traceable) I dose at that amount and only that amount.
After a big W/C I hold on dosing for 2 days and start again at 2 ml. then gradually get back up to my 3.5ml. JMO
How big is your tank? I have a 90g and won't even be dosing 0.8ml if the calculations I have are correct. It seems 2 ml is quite a bit, and then to go all the way to 3.5ml????...

kiefers

I started dosing last summer last fall. Started with one drop and upped it a drop every seven days.So, through late summer to present day I am up to 3.5. Keep in mind though I check the nitrates every 4 to 5 days and if the Nitrates are 0-5 I don't dose anymore or less.
I have had no bleaching or a bacterial bloom. No yellowing of the tank and my polys and some other softies I have taken off. Haven't checked the phosphstes in awhile but continue to see algea growing in the tank. I do increase the dose until my trates are 0-5 then i keep it at that measurement. To answer your question tho..... I have a 56 Column.
I see your point however, it does seem high, I've learned that if I leave the top open (no fish in the tank as of this day) the water movement encourages the evaporation of the dosing. My tank looks amazing and doesn't have that tank smell, smells rather like nothing but sweet sometimes. The tank was a little cloudy this day because I had to tear it down to get the fish out into hypo,
and put the tank back together again. So the water got a tad pissy because I stirred it all up. Buy yes, it does seem alot. I know people who dose way more.

aquaripure

Thanks for the welcome but my site is very much alive and well. In fact, I just redesigned it and I think it looks a lot better now: www.aquaripure.com
I experimented with vodka dosing many years ago and inverts such as copepods seemed to be particularly sensitive to it. All my snails seemed to drop dead. Maybe I did a little too much to quickly but as everyone states it is something that has to be done pretty carefully. It would be easy to kill off everything in your tank if you make a misstep. Just look at the reviews on Marine Depot of the product AZNO3 (which is basically the same as vodka dosing) and about half of the reviews give it high ratings and about half says it killed stuff (often everything) in their tank.
The only way something like that can happen with the Aquaripure is if there were multiple failures in following the directions and there were other compounding factors unrelated to the Aquaripure. The Aquaripure is much safer and it is also a similar slightly different process.
The inside of the Aquaripure is a multiple density inert media. This acts as both a scaffold for the bacteria and yet it also traps all organisms and organic molecules in the media where the bacteria break it down completely, even breaking down nitrates into nitrogen gas. The bacteria will stay in the media and will consume all of the vodka that goes into the unit. The Aquaripure does not need a protien skimmer to be effective and will work even better without a skimmer in some cases.
Direct vodka dosing is pretty fundamentally different. The vodka dosing will create a bacterial bloom in the tank which will absorb nutrients and maybe turn some nitrates into nitrogen gas directly. However, I believe it works much better with a skimmer and probably needs a good skimmer to really work though as the skimmer will also remove a lot of the bacteria. I have never tried vodka dosing in a tank without a skimmer or in a freshwater system and so I do not know if it would be effective. Again, you really need to be careful doing this and it would be pretty easy to kill off everything in a tank. All it would take is a few too many ml's of vodka.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/384495/aquaripure-nitrate-filters#post_3380227
Please tell me you are going to stick around and that you are not here to just advertize...LOL...I so want to pick your brain, I was on your little web site that seems to have gone the way of the Dodo, and I had so many questions that never got answered.
Oh and by the way...WELCOME to the site!

aquaripure

You are correct Flower, I just happened upon this and so I thought I'd contribute. I realize I didn't answer everything with my last post.
1) see my other post
2) With the Aquaripure I find that snails struggle but that is only because algae is so inhibited. Copepods seem to do extremely well though. In my prior reef tank (I am setting up a new one, I broke the old one down when I moved) my mandarin goby was the fattest mandarin I'd ever seen and the tank was always crawling with copepods. I don't know about vodka dosing though, the vodka seems to kill a lot of inverts directly based on my limited experience. I don't know about copepods. With the Aquaripure that's not the issue as the bacteria absorb the vodka before it gets in the tank at all.
3) You'd just start using the Aquaripure and quite dosing the tank directly. It would be very straightforward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/384495/aquaripure-nitrate-filters#post_3380348
I guess he was just searching the web for the name Aquaripure and answering for the moment...I have so many things I want to ask, besides the one you just mentioned.
1. What indeed is the difference between our dosing our tanks directly and the Aquaripure?
2. I know dosing vodka gets rid of all algae, but what does that do to the snail and copepod (and other tiny critters) population?
3. If we are dosing our tanks and decide to get an Aquaripure...how do we make the switch?