Aquaripure Nitrate filters

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaripure http:///forum/thread/384495/aquaripure-nitrate-filters#post_3380661
You are correct Flower, I just happened upon this and so I thought I'd contribute. I realize I didn't answer everything with my last post.
1) see my other post
2) With the Aquaripure I find that snails struggle but that is only because algae is so inhibited. Copepods seem to do extremely well though. In my prior reef tank (I am setting up a new one, I broke the old one down when I moved) my mandarin goby was the fattest mandarin I'd ever seen and the tank was always crawling with copepods. I don't know about vodka dosing though, the vodka seems to kill a lot of inverts directly based on my limited experience. I don't know about copepods. With the Aquaripure that's not the issue as the bacteria absorb the vodka before it gets in the tank at all.
3) You'd just start using the Aquaripure and quite dosing the tank directly. It would be very straightforward.
I have read one case where direct vodka dosing had killed the snails in someones system and have been monitoring mine closely. Just recently however, just two days ago, I had one of my stomatellas blow out several babies, there all over my front glass. they look nothing like copepods as I thought they might be. the look just like the bigger stomas in the tank. To this day, and I dose 3.0 ml's nightly, no harm to the inverts in my closed system. None the less, every system is different and I'm not sure of the alcohol % the poster was using.
I do notice algea in my tank but will not increase the dosage amount. Unless someone chimes in and gives me some 411.
I am curious about this device tho. I must read more on it before taking that leap.

flower

LOL...I want one so bad! The thoughts of no cleaning filters, no skimmer, and 0 nitrates..but it costs $300.00 after shipping. If it works, it's so very worth it. There is the rub..does it really work? Money is sooo tight right now, and I'm afraid to spend an extra dime on anything but essentials.
It's mothers day....I am owed little over $1000.00 from back pay on my short term disability payments, which SHOULD be in early next week. I just got my first 2 weeks and paid my bills. LOL..Now my desktop computer took a dive, and I need to replace it, for now I'm using my laptop. My mother said it must of heard me say I had a little money....

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/384495/aquaripure-nitrate-filters/20#post_3382149
LOL...I want one so bad! The thoughts of no cleaning filters, no skimmer, and 0 nitrates..but it costs $300.00 after shipping. If it works, it's so very worth it. There is the rub..does it really
work? Money is sooo tight right now, and I'm afraid to spend an extra dime on anything but essentials.
It's mothers day....I am owed little over $1000.00 from back pay on my short term disability payments, which SHOULD be in early next week. I just got my first 2 weeks and paid my bills. LOL..Now my desktop computer took a dive, and I need to replace it, for now I'm using my laptop. My mother said it must of heard me say I had a little money....
well............. If you do decide pls start a thread from begining to end...... still not convinced but willing to read more. My skimmer doesn't get that nasty, don't really know why. You would think with dosing 3.0 ml's of 80 proof vodka it would be nasty!! What are your parameters now Flower girl?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///forum/thread/384495/aquaripure-nitrate-filters/20#post_3382150
well............. If you do decide pls start a thread from begining to end...... still not convinced but willing to read more. My skimmer doesn't get that nasty, don't really know why. You would think with dosing 3.0 ml's of 80 proof vodka it would be nasty!! What are your parameters now Flower girl?
Nitrates are reading 20+ this morning. I say plus because it is darker than 20 but too light to be 40, the shrimp and snails are alive and happy, so it can't be as high as I thought (40+) I just did a second 30g water change in 2 weeks. I started dosing vodka on the 28th of April.
I have a nice skimmer, Octopus 1000sss, 24g sump with a 18g refugium. I got rid of my canister, the nitrates maker, according to all. I don't have any algae except coraline. I have a bubble coral, GSP and a few mushrooms. So nitrates are not such a big deal right now.
I want to rebuild it as a reef and have SPS corals, but nitrates won't go down past 10..I got it to go to 0 once..I had added refugium mud but it was short lived. I have restocked all the live sand critters and the fish are not over stocked, I only have 7 fish in a 90g tank. 2 are around 4.5 to 5 inches, 1 Hippo tang, a Kole tang and the rest are small, 2 perc clowns, an orchid dottyback, a lemonpeel dwarf angel and a lawnmower blenny.

kiefers

Hi, well sounds good. My trates as of last night or so were 5, i'm sure I'll never see 0. I find it very difficult to believe some people when they tell folks there trates are 0. don't believe it for a bit. I knoe people that there trates are like in the 80's and there corals are doing great! It's wierd, most people on the sites here say "every coral in that tank should be dead or dying. Nope not theirs, doing great.
Don't know flower, I think this device needs more looking into, you know what they say about to good to be true. On the other hand, may be for real. I think someone needs to get one and post a 3-6 month diary on the performance and what to expect. You wouldn't go out and buy a new car without testing driving it would you? Or buy a fish or coral without researching it? Knowing you as little as I do...... I don't think you would. Just sayin'. Just wondering here, how much are you currently dosing?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///forum/thread/384495/aquaripure-nitrate-filters/20#post_3382318
Hi, well sounds good. My trates as of last night or so were 5, i'm sure I'll never see 0. I find it very difficult to believe some people when they tell folks there trates are 0. don't believe it for a bit. I knoe people that there trates are like in the 80's and there corals are doing great! It's wierd, most people on the sites here say "every coral in that tank should be dead or dying. Nope not theirs, doing great.
Don't know flower, I think this device needs more looking into, you know what they say about to good to be true. On the other hand, may be for real. I think someone needs to get one and post a 3-6 month diary on the performance and what to expect. You wouldn't go out and buy a new car without testing driving it would you? Or buy a fish or coral without researching it? Knowing you as little as I do...... I don't think you would. Just sayin'. Just wondering here, how much are you currently dosing?
It's day #12 and I'm dosing 0.9 + 0.5. I test the nitrates before adding anything. My desktop computer bit the dust...my pictrures are gone.

kiefers

just checked the trates and they are 5. I looked up a website for vodka dosing and it seems I am dosing high, however, the one sites states you dose until the trates go down then dose less. If after 2 weeks the trates stay down, you dose at the less amount, if the trates go up you slowly increase again until the point where the trates went down

nikesb

when i was dosing it took more than 2 weeks to get down. should be more like 1-2 months. taking it slow is much better with vodka as the bacteria needs to establish itself.
as for getting nitrates down to 0. its possible but its NOT ALWAYS NECESSARY. i reached 0 but would rather keep it above 0 but less than 5. phosphates should be kept no higher than .04 if you're wanting the best out of SPS. for those dosing and dont really have an SPS dominant tank, its not recommended to dose until you're at an ULNS level as carbon dosing can strip your system of nutrients and cause LPS and softies to suffer. alkalinity is also stated to drop faster during vodka dosing but i have not confirmed this. I didnt recognize that effect when i dosed.
there is such a thing as "too clean" for a tank. i know flower is wanting to do SPS, and my recommendation was to get her nitrates down. 5 is still a good range for SPS. they'll reach a deeper color than they would at 0. theres also other elements that will just cause SPS to stn/rtn and this could be trace elements that are too high (boron, copper, iodine).

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeSB http:///forum/thread/384495/aquaripure-nitrate-filters/20#post_3382409
when i was dosing it took more than 2 weeks to get down. should be more like 1-2 months. taking it slow is much better with vodka as the bacteria needs to establish itself.
as for getting nitrates down to 0. its possible but its NOT ALWAYS NECESSARY. i reached 0 but would rather keep it above 0 but less than 5. phosphates should be kept no higher than .04 if you're wanting the best out of SPS. for those dosing and dont really have an SPS dominant tank, its not recommended to dose until you're at an ULNS level as carbon dosing can strip your system of nutrients and cause LPS and softies to suffer. alkalinity is also stated to drop faster during vodka dosing but i have not confirmed this. I didnt recognize that effect when i dosed.
there is such a thing as "too clean" for a tank. i know flower is wanting to do SPS, and my recommendation was to get her nitrates down. 5 is still a good range for SPS. they'll reach a deeper color than they would at 0. theres also other elements that will just cause SPS to stn/rtn and this could be trace elements that are too high (boron, copper, iodine).
boron, copper, and iodine? I don't have tests for that stuff and never seen them, I'm sure the iodine one exists somewhere. SIGH, I'm still working on the nitrates, right now my 90g is almost a FOWLR...but my SH tank looks great so far.

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///forum/thread/384495/aquaripure-nitrate-filters/20#post_3382318
I find it very difficult to believe some people when they tell folks there trates are 0. don't believe it for a bit.
I haven't seen a nitrate reading from either my test or that of the LFS (both API), since mid October, but my fuge has a ball of chaeto that teases out to larger than basketball-sized.
I also skim aggressively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeSB
http:///forum/thread/384495/aquaripure-nitrate-filters/20#post_3382409
as for getting nitrates down to 0. its possible but its NOT ALWAYS NECESSARY. i reached 0 but would rather keep it above 0 but less than 5. phosphates should be kept no higher than .04 if you're wanting the best out of SPS.
there is such a thing as "too clean" for a tank. i know flower is wanting to do SPS, and my recommendation was to get her nitrates down. 5 is still a good range for SPS. they'll reach a deeper color than they would at 0.
I've not been able to get a phosphate reading at all (Salifert). Tests done at the LFS (API) have also never shown any detectable phosphate, ever. I don't believe it, it MUST be bound up in all that chaeto...
This past weekend, during a wc, I pulled out the chaeto for a rinse (I have to do that every few weeks). I forgot to put the fish net over the return. It allowed all grades of crap, crud, and just nastiness to get into the DT. I didn't sweat it, and a couple hours later, all the coral looked to be standing erect going nom nom nom.
That evening when the actinics came on, I swear every coral in the tank never looked more bright and colorful even the monti cap, my only sps so far.
Makes me want to rethink my CAG usage as well...

kiefers

to some degree there needs to be a small amount of P and N in a tank, some things need it. as far as the nasties and crud getting into your tank, the corals probabaly loved it as a small treat, they do eat fish pooooooo (blah
)

aquaripure

It is not true that a tank needs any measurable nitrates or phosphates. There are none in a healthy natural ecosystem. Any that are found are surely the result of human pollution. You see in nature microorganisms eat fish waste and absorb all nitrogenous waste. The corals in turn will feed off these microorganisms.
John Strawn
Aquaripure LLC

aquaripure

Well, in a properly balanced aquarium with an Aquaripure it will perfectly replicate the natural ecosystems. There will be abundant beneficial microorganisms that the corals can feed on. When these die there will always be a trace amount of available ambient nitrogen available. The tests read zero but there is an ambient trace amount available. That is why both corals and freshwater plants with in a tank with an Aquaripure do so well.
The microorgansims hold enough nitrogen and phosphorus and will release just the right amount needed. This is pretty much what both those articles state. This is exactly what happens in an aquarium with an Aquaripure.