Aquarium snow?

cranberry

*Sits Meowzer on her lap. Pets her hair. Tells her it's gonna be okay even if it is especially cruel*
Seriously, I'll send ya some good stuff when my next shipment comes in just for being so.... isolated.
Dood... you have to buy all your fish online too then?

meowzer

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/2971205
*Sits Meowzer on her lap. Pets her hair. Tells her it's gonna be okay even if it is especially cruel*
Seriously, I'll send ya some good stuff when my next shipment comes in just for being so.... isolated.
Dood... you have to buy all your fish online too then?
LOL...I buy most online...except like I said before...the guy at the store that is so far gets stuff for me....I try to go every few weeks so I get to see different stuff too...
I like where I live...I live where the Deer and the Antelope play...LOL..Except my hubby kills the deer...and then we eat them....
I don't sound like a NY'er anymore...

shyfish

Hi,
Marine snow is not in a bottle. LOL
There is a product called marine snow, but that is not what the author meant when talking about what zoos and mushrooms eat.
Has anybody noticed their aquarium water is all clear one day and every once in a while it looks like, well...snow. If you run the skimmer it will clear right up.
It is dead particles that float in the aquarium as stuff in the live rock pass away in the natural cycle of life, It feeds corals. Zoos and mushrooms really like it. When skimmers run 24/7 it sucks all the snow out.
The product marine snow is designed to feed coral by the natural means that is found in the ocean, which really boosts the coral growth.
Sometimes instead of running the skimmer...let it snow. It is free. It is normal and it is healthy.
I learned all this when I totally freaked out that my tank had snow. I ran and called my fish guru in a panic and got
his lecture on live rock and the cycle of life.

cranberry

LOL, totally thought they were talking about the product not the term.
Ya, marine snow in the ocean is everything that falls from the top to the bottom... like lovely lovely fish poop... The artifical product, which I wouldn't recommend, is named after the actual fodder.
Shyfish, I have never seen "snow" in any of my tanks. I've seen it on planet earth..... but not in my tanks.
EDIT: Wait now... aquarium snow? Y'all need to change some water... LOL. It's Meowzers fault... she lead me astray with her pretty little bottle.

shyfish

I don't get it much now, but when I first set up my tank I had it real regular.
My guru guy said that rock gets so picked over by the fish that eventually the snow stops because there are not that meny critters dying off.

cranberry

I've never seen it.... and oh the tanks I've had.
Has anyone else ever heard the term aquarium snow? It's not getting any hits in google. I mean I get what the term is trying to portray, but is this a term that is commonly used that I've missed?

shyfish

You must have kept lots of fish from the start. I have no snow now because i have a stocked tank.
I used to add fish sooo slow. My rock had lots of cycles. Now my fishies get them and there is nothing to die. I don't have a refugium. I wonder if snow could be in a refugium and not be noticed.

shyfish

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/2971704
I've never seen it.... and oh the tanks I've had.
Has anyone else ever heard the term aquarium snow? It's not getting any hits in google. I mean I get what the term is trying to portray, but is this a term that is commonly used that I've missed?
Try googleing Marine snow, not aquarium snow.

cranberry

I know what Marine Snow is.... I'm curious about the term aquarium snow. I know it's trying to say that the debris in youre aquarium is a small version of what is in the ocean. But I've never heard the expression or seen any of that in my tank. The only "snow" I've seen in people's tanks is calcium precepitate.
Actually, I have only 1-2 fish in 80% of my tanks. The 2 most heavily stocked have 3 in a 30 and 3 in a 50. I don't have fish that pick at the rocks... they are all carnivores.
I do not have a fuge on any of my tanks. This is not something I missed, it never happened in my tank.... people have never told me this has happened in theirs. I'm just curious how popular this term Aquarium Snow" is.
Willie, can ya tell me where the term came from?

meowzer

LOL. It's Meowzers fault... she lead me astray with her pretty little bottle.[/
HEYYYYY...I meant well...I never heard of aquarium snow either...

florida joe

Look for marine nutrition, 100% natural living Phytoplankton, for reef tanks with soft corals clams and filter feeders
Actually marine snow in the ocean or in our tanks has very little nutritional value in and of itself

sueandherzoo

Originally Posted by Shyfish
http:///forum/post/2971690
Has anybody noticed their aquarium water is all clear one day and every once in a while it looks like, well...snow. If you run the skimmer it will clear right up.
It is dead particles that float in the aquarium as stuff in the live rock pass away in the natural cycle of life, It feeds corals. Zoos and mushrooms really like it. When skimmers run 24/7 it sucks all the snow out.
The product marine snow is designed to feed coral by the natural means that is found in the ocean, which really boosts the coral growth.
Well now I'm intrigued too and hitching along for this ride. I've seen something strange happen twice in my seahorse tank: when I shut things down to remove and clean the Fluval canister and then I plug everything back in, a bunch of "snow" shoots out of the Fluval into the tank and it's always puzzled me what it was and where it came from. There's really a lot of it and it really does look like white snow but it always freaks me out because I figure I'm shooting all this bad stuff into the tank I just cleaned. Within 3-5 minutes it's all gone and nothing seems worse for wear but I always wonder where it came from since I just cleaned the entire canister! Is it sitting in the Fluval hoses and shutting it down and restarting stirs it up and forces it into the tank? Maybe this is the good stuff you speak of????
Sue

shyfish

Hi,
That's the snow! You got it. However I must agree with Florida Joe, even though coral likes to feed on marine snow, there are better things to feed them. The good news is, it's not bad!
I use 2 canister filters, and I never put it together that it might have something to do with why I had snow and Cranberry didn't.
Very interesting.

florida joe

After doing some reading it seems “marine snow” in our tanks can be attributed to a reproduction event (the release of gametes in our water). Also suspended matter in the water that obstructs the view. The matter can be air bubbles, particulate organic substances, dissolved organic substances, phytoplankton, zooplankton and particulate inorganic matter such as clays or sand.

florida joe

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/2971955
So when we see "snow"come out of nowhere in our tanks...it is nothing to worry about?
the event should be short lived, your filters should take care of it.
BTW dont you have a deer to kill

meowzer

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2971957
the event should be short lived, your filters should take care of it.
BTW dont you have a deer to kill

LOL...I don't kill them I cook them...LOL...YANKEES PRESEASON GAME IS ON YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

meowzer

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2971961
umm where do you think i am right now
IDK....surely not at the game....I would not have my computer with me...they would be dragging me out of the dugout...LOL with a Yankee

I have to watch mlbtv.com