AquaticLife Internal Mini-skimmer 115

db9181

I just installed the 115 in my new 29g tank afew days ago and like many I have afew questions.
I am currently getting alot of micro bubble. I know this is part of the "break in" period, but how long should I expect this? Anything I can do to stop them?
Positioning: I've read from others that it's Best to position the unit about an inch higher that stated in the manual. Does this improve function?
As far as setting (I know all tanks are different) how far up the cone do I want the bubbles going? Just barely to the top? Halfway? Etc
Lastly, how much fluid do I want to be collected per day? Again I know this varies per day .... Manual states you want a milk-consistency fluid -any thoughts?
Lastly, it doesn't really matter where I place the unit in the tank, correct?

flower

Hi,
I have that little skimmer....it did not produce microbubbles and even when breaking in it shouldn't. So raise it up...see how it does, if you still have microbubbles.... lower it and see how it works. The white foam should just be at the lower part of the cone...the foam builds and leaves skim to be dumped. This skimmer always ran wet...meaning it pulls saltwater out as well as skim. So keep an eye on the SG if you go longer than two weeks between water changes.
It has a nifty hanger to put it in the tank correct? Or Did you place it in the sump? The break in time is for the skimmer to start working it's best to remove the green goo, and should not make microbubbles

db9181

okay, thanks flower.
@ Meowzer: For the most part yes, I just wanted to make sure and i didnt want to keep bugging you with PMs.
Side note: (its posted in my new 29g build), my ammonia is currently at 0.5 ... I assuming i should expect i higher spike than that? I am cycling with 30lb LR and 40lb LS, so I know it wont be a huge of a spike, but more than 0.5 correct?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB9181 http:///t/387584/aquaticlife-internal-mini-skimmer-115#post_3411706
okay, thanks flower.
@ Meowzer: For the most part yes, I just wanted to make sure and i didnt want to keep bugging you with PMs.
Side note: (its posted in my new 29g build), my ammonia is currently at 0.5 ... I assuming i should expect i higher spike than that? I am cycling with 30lb LR and 40lb LS, so I know it wont be a huge of a spike, but more than 0.5 correct?
Any ammonia to start the cycle is a good thing. 0.5 is enough

db9181

I was thinking it was suppose to spike into the "several digits" (1-5). I was thinking of adding a piece of shrimp for a short period (1-2) days just to boost it even more. I would like to potientailly add some CUC this upcoming weekend (afew snails, maybe a hermit)....

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB9181 http:///t/387584/aquaticlife-internal-mini-skimmer-115#post_3411737
I was thinking it was suppose to spike into the "several digits" (1-5). I was thinking of adding a piece of shrimp for a short period (1-2) days just to boost it even more. I would like to potientailly add some CUC this upcoming weekend (afew snails, maybe a hermit)....
Don't add any living thing until you see ammonia 0 and nitrite 0....live rock make a cycle faster, but it still has to cycle. If you don't have any algae, the algae eaters will starve, so don't get a CUC until you have something for them to clean up.

db9181

I understand to wait until my readings are 0. Additionally, I do have alot of coraline growing as well as i believe green algae hair (or some kind of algae) growing.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB9181 http:///t/387584/aquaticlife-internal-mini-skimmer-115#post_3411907
I understand to wait until my readings are 0. Additionally, I do have alot of coraline growing as well as i believe green algae hair (or some kind of algae) growing.
Hi,
You may have coraline already on the rocks, but no way is it growing in the tank already. Algae is normal for new tanks and if by the time the tank is finished cycling you have algae then you can get a CUC. I hope you do not have green hair algae already, if you do you have a problem. Did you fill the tank with RO (Reverse Osmoses) water? If you used tap water and you have green hair algae
......If I were you I would scrub the rocks under saltwater and restart.