Are Bubbles A Bad Thing????

m0nk

You'll get varying opinions on this, but the majority of responses would be that yes, they're bad. There is some anecdotal evidence that they can irritate fish gills and cause stress, so this would be bad if it's true. Best not to add "possible" irritants if it's avoidable, imo.

tarball

Depends on how many bubbles there are. If the tank has a constant supply of micro bubbles, then they could be a problem.
If its just a short burst of bubbles that rise to the surface then dissipate... no problem.
I have a canister filter that will blow a small blast of bubbles every few minutes. They rise to the surface & then gone.
The fish kinda like swimming thru them..

florida joe

Do the bubbles smell like rotten eggs im assuming your not talking about bubbles you are introducing into your tank via an air stone the rotten egg smell can come from sulfuric acid with is the produce of a very low oxygen level

thegpw

Hello all.
I'm new to the board and I'm sorry but I'm going to start trouble right away. This bubble thing for one got me but ok here it goes. I don't do anything you're suppose too. I don't change the water, I don't check the levels of anything. I have massive amounts of bubbles and my fish live forever! (Except recently after 7 years of even for me very bad care on the tank). I emptied it cleaned everything and I'm starting over. I don't reccomend this anybody please understand all you new people out there everybody/anybody on this site would give you better advise then me,,,,, But heres the story. I did everything they way you should for years, water changes, ph up ph down nitrates etc. Then I got lazy and didn't, nothing happened. Sure I would lose a fish now and then but it was rare. Anyway my theory the tank is pretty big a three sided floor model lava rock glued to the back, an under the gravel filter, and a lifegard cannister chem filter 110 - 125 gals (never could really figure it out due to weird size) and at the most 10-12 fish. Tangs, damsels, wrasse, clowns , cardinals, hawkfish, angels, blemmies. I think the big tank just got in a cycle and took care of itself. Is this possible,,well I know it is because it worked but has anybody else had the same exp? Thanks I'm going to read threds on why bubbles are bad. My filter has a stand pipe comming a third of the way up from the bottom in the middle of the tank, is this enough motion to airate? I don't need bubbles??

new-guy

my bubbles are coming out of my skimmer return tube. im not running the basket that came with either is my lfs but its also the smaller size than mine..just wondered if i should leave it alone or try to fix it..also ive also heard to zip tie a foam filter on the bottom of it but it just cuts down on it alittle bit.

zsqure

So if the bubbles are due to low oxygen, how do you put oxygen into your water? Doesn't your skimmer put the air in?

john,jr

Originally Posted by new-guy
my bubbles are coming out of my skimmer return tube. im not running the basket that came with either is my lfs but its also the smaller size than mine..just wondered if i should leave it alone or try to fix it..also ive also heard to zip tie a foam filter on the bottom of it but it just cuts down on it alittle bit.
I had that problem when I first set up my skimmer. I wedged a large sponge under the return tube and it stoped.

new-guy

i just wondering if i need to stop it from doing this also does anyone have pics of how they stopped this

R

rcreations

To increase the oxygen you have to increase the flow in your tank, especially along the water surface.

new-guy

i have 2 maxi jet 400s and a marineland 220 canister filter i should have pretty good flow... not including a coralife 125 skimmer

tarball

Bubbles, Bubbles, Bubbles.
Most aeration equipment in use today utilizes compressed air systems. These introduce bubbles of air into the water by forcing the compressed air through a fine pore diffuser, similar to the aerators commonly found in most home fish tanks. Experimental results with these systems have shown that the minimum bubble sizes generated are greater than 3 to 4 millimeters in diameter. Bubbles of this size quickly rise to the surface and are lost to the atmosphere. They do not remain in the water long enough to transfer an appreciable amount of oxygen.
The size of an oxygen or air bubble can dramatically affect water chemistry, gas transfer rates and dissolved gas concentrations.
The concern is the pathophysiology (oxygen toxicity) occurring when micro-fine oxygen bubbles stick inside fish gills, get into blood, stick in eyes, on scales, fins and skin.
"Micro-fine gas bubbles sticking to gills could obstruct respiratory gas exchange, by blocking ventilatory water flow between the minute lamellae on the gill filament surfaces.
Compressed oxygen is a good thing when supplied continuously within safe dissolved oxygen concentrations, but exposure to compressed oxygen or delivered at high partial pressures can physically harm your fish. With high oxygen partial pressure in the water, the fish may stop breathing, allowing carbon dioxide to build up in the fish. This may lead to acid-base changes (respiratory acidosis) in the fish and increase mortality.
Of course, fish do not breathe (gaseous) oxygen or air bubbles, the oxygen must first be dissolved in water for it to diffuse across their lamellar membranes.
If you observe clouds of suspended micro-fine oxygen or even air bubbles in fish water, you may be using too much of a good thing. Micro-pore diffusers can generate masses of tiny oxygen bubbles.
This condition may excessively supersaturate the water with oxygen if the mass of gas bubbles cloud the water and remain suspended; and, extreme hyperbaric oxygen can be toxic because of free-radical generation. Clouds of micro-fine air bubbles may also cause problems with nitrogen toxicity’s, the bends and air emboli. Tiny gas bubbles may also affect water quality.
Saltwater is denser then freshwater, therefore, micro gas bubbles will be compressed even smaller maximizing coalescence. In other words, this problem is multiplied in saltwater. Stress is multiplied also."
"Micro-fine gas bubbles that remain suspended in the water column increase the dissolved gas concentration in water more efficiently than larger bubbles in water. Space must be available in the tank for bubbles to dissolve. Most fish can't breathe gaseous bubbles made with air or oxygen.
Gas bubble size directly affects water chemistry and when highly concentrated, can negatively affect fish health. Micro-fine gas bubbles may be unhealthy for captive fish. Larger gas bubbles may be safer and healthier for captive fish than excessive micro-fine bubble environments. But once again no use in a closed environment tank.

manycolors

lets say i have large amounts of "micro bubbles" what looks to be dust. my skimmer puts out very large amounts so i only turn it on for a few hours a day, what should i do? when the skimmer is off shouldn't the bubbles go away? since they aren't what should i do?

ruaround

air bubbles can get lodged in a fishes gills, they dont add any GPH turns, they can cause bubble algae, they can cause stress to the fish causing ICH or popeye, they cause salt creep which in turn causes irregular salinity/SG, when bubbles pop the water can get on your lights causing the life off your lights to decline rapidly, also the water can get into you ballast causing a short, also affects your light spectrum...
some periodic air bubbles are alright IMO though...