Are fish in danger during Hypo treatment?

bang guy

Originally Posted by sprieto
Are there any side affects or danger to hypo treatment?
The only danger is lowering salinity too much or too fast. A good refractometer and patience is all that's required.

nicetry

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
The only danger is lowering salinity too much or too fast. A good refractometer and patience is all that's required.

Agreed. Bony fish can do quite well in hyposaline conditions, even over extended periods of time. They actually use less energy than in "normal" salinity.
Drop it over two days, raise it back over a week. Fish can tolerate a more rapid reduction in salinity than they can an increase. As Guy said, an accurate measuring device is critical.

sprieto

Okay, thanks for the responce.
here's my problem:
I do not have a refractometer (I have a generic plastic swing arm hydrometer).
It will take me at least a week (or 2) before I can order and get one.
I know the hydro meter is not as accurate.
Do I wait until I get a refractometer, or should I slowly start to drop it know (even if it takes a week to drop, so I can have a refractometer by then)?
How immidiate should treatment to ick be?
Thanks again for the responce.

darth tang

Something else you have to watch is your PH. In Hypo it will drop regularly. I had a tank crash because I failed to check my PH often enough and it got to low.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Throw the plastic swingarm away....it is totally worthless for measuring salinity or specific gravity. Go ahead and get a glass hydrometer and use it to begin the hypo process. Once you receive the refractometer, you can make ultimate adjustment to the salinity.
Take a look at the hyposalinity instructions in the FAQ Thread.

scubadoo

Originally Posted by sprieto
Are there any side affects or danger to hypo treatment?
Yes, besides the points brought forward there is also one additional danger not mentioned. One of the benefits of hyposalinity is conservation of energy for the affected fish but this lead to a potential danger. . Reef fish have to constantly drink saltwater and excrete the salt to maintain the proper osmotic balance. Lowering the salinity of the system reduces the energy demand on the sick fish, allowing them to expend more energy towards fighting the infection. However keeping fish in low salinity means that they don't "flush" their kidneys sufficiently. If long-term exposure to hposlanity this can lead to kidney failure and kill the fish.

sprieto

So how long should hypo treatment be performed for (max time)?
What if no signs of the fish getting better?
Thanks for the responce.
The fish(s) in paticular is a Por Puffer, royal gramma, and a clown (I also have a trigger, lion, and damsel, in a 30 gallon, maybe infected, maybe not, I am deciding whether to treat just the 3 or all 6 fish).

scubadoo

At least 4 weeks after the last spots disappear form the fish.
You tank is overcrowed and this is most likely the casue of the disease. You best thin the herd or you will continue to have problems with disease.
JMO