Are my Mushrooms dying?

monkerz

My mushrooms were doing fine for about 1 month. I kept them higher in the tank. Last week they started to lighten up in color. Now they are turning pure white and one fell off as it looks to have died. The picture shows one still with color and one that turned pure white. #1 is what they are all turning into. #2 still has color, but is starting to turn white. Tested my water and everything is fine. I have also moved the mushrooms down to a lower area to see if that will help.
1 – Should these have lots of light or be on the bottom of tank?
2 – Do they need allot of water current or mild current?
Any help would be appreciated.

fishfryer

your problem is probaby low calcium... do you put additives in? also check your alkaline ,if you are adding buffer you are doing this to your tank...must get test kit and test for these two alk and calcium

monkerz

I do not check for alkaline or calcium. I will purchase test kit tommorrow for those two.
I do not add any additives. Should I ? What is it called?

fishgeek01

kent marine makes a whole range of additives for saltwater reef tank, i have had great luck with the liquid calcium, strontium/molybdenum, and iodine(all seperate additives). also it seems you may have your mushrooms up pretty high in the tank try lowering the light and starting your additives, i recommend at least iodine first because it helps corals to heal after stress and fragging. There are many other products out there for the same things, buffers and so on, do a little research and figure out what will work best for you, and as always practice makes perfect... i think your shrooms are very stressed, but you may be able to save them if you really jump on the problem.

debbie

I would say you should try and move them down a bit and see if that is better. They don't like direct flow so they are blowing all over either. Below is a two pics of my mushrooms and the only light I have on them is "one" coralife power-glo 20 watt 18,000k.
I also do not add anything into my water, just bi-weekly water changes....

monkerz

Did a calcium test it the results were 420 . I think that is inbetween low and high. So should be good there.
Originally Posted by Fishgeek01
kent marine makes a whole range of additives for saltwater reef tank
I just bought the kit with all three. I will use the iodine first.
Originally Posted by Debbie
I would say you should try and move them down a bit and see if that is better.
I moved them down from 8 inches to around 14-16 .
Originally Posted by Tstaub3

how old are your light bulbs ?
1 month old. Its the Coralife 65 watt w/ fans. Total of 4 bulbs. 2 reg and 2 of the blue.
Originally Posted by alyssia

How old is your tank? If it is cycled you shouldn't have any ammonia or trites at all.
1 1/2 months old. Its a 65 gallon tank. 1 bag of live sand and 3 bags of reg sand. I have 80 lbs of live rock.
Any other help to save my shrooms is appericated. I thought that shrooms were suppose to be very easy to manage. I have a flowerpot and lots of other coral's that are doing great.

teen

id do a water change and try and get the ammonia and nitrites to zero.
oh, and only dose the iodine as directed, to much is no good for the tank

alyssia

Originally Posted by teen
id do a water change and try and get the ammonia and nitrites to zero.
oh, and only dose the iodine as directed, to much is no good for the tank

The ammonia and trites are not good at all. Be very careful with the iodine unless you're testing for it.

ynotminot

Originally Posted by monkerz
How can I lower my ammonia and nitrite's?
let it cycle
if its been cycled..you shouldn't have any amm or trites
imo..i wouldn't dose anything unless you have a good quality test kit for it

monkerz

Originally Posted by ynotminot
let it cycle
if its been cycled..you shouldn't have any amm or trites
imo..i wouldn't dose anything unless you have a good quality test kit for it
So Cycle = TIME ?
And if so , how long does it take for a average tank to cycle?