Are we nerds?

lou_brakant

Iechy, wow the members only jacket, I thought that was cool. It's alright I have been on the internet searching for "moon boots" as soon as I find a pair I am defiinitly wearing them to work, all these dorks in GM will then truly envy me.

broomer5

Hey Lou,
Let me know if you find the moon boots - my Earth Shoes are getting pretty worn out ! What ... what heal ?

ags

I agree everyone who looks at my tank either thinks it is the coolest thing in the world or ends up getting one but as soon as they find out how much work and studying you have to do the hobby becomes no fun and I become the nerd. That's what happens when you are passionate enough of about something that no volume of learning is too much. Its the nature of the beast. Why can't my profession be this enjoyable?

tigershark

Im with you AGS, not the nerd part but about people really liking the tank. Im only 24 and none of my friends have a tank. All we do is party, go clubbing, and drinking so naturally I was a little worried about how much shyt I was gonna get from my friends about have fish hahaha I dont have much in it now but everyone who has been over to see it, is amazed and cant stop staring at it. The girls love it too :D So nerds? We are not , but you gotta love what you do or you are just wasting your time... lots of time.

cuppycake

Originally posted by sammystingray
Also..............I don't really ever talk about the tank to friends when they stop by....only if they ask. That's what you guys are for.:D They don't give a crap about copepods and bacteria, so I don't try to cram it down their throats.....they will only be faking interest anyway.:D BUT .........Atleast 6 people I know of have started tanks from coming over my place............:D Not one has bought a single book though, and they pretty much call me when trouble hits...........what's this? Whats it do? What happened? I have never seen saltwater tanks as a "nerdy" hobby, and most folks thinks it's cool I have stingrays and moray eels living in my place. Our friends new boyfriend rode up on his Harley about a month ago clad in 100% leather.........says "wow, are those live coral!!!!" Turns out he has been diving a few times.......

Well you're definitely not hanging out with the right people cause starfish and crabs and clowns and stingrays are the coolest! heehee :p They're all just jealous!

denny hunter

Hmmmmmm. Im not sure that whats in a name is really that important.... I have played football and wrestled all my years in highschool. I have been a nationally ranked table tennis player,been married to the same woman for 25 years, raised two great kids (ive been told!). I guess i have been called just about everything in the 26 years I have been in the car business..... a nerd? Yeah,,,, why not.. I have reaped great enjoyment and a wealth of knowldege in the 2 years i have been running a salt water tank and it just keeps getting better !! I have been surpised at the people whom have seen my 75 gal tank and just stood there mesmerized for minutes at its beauty!!! Its worth it!!!! Call me what you want, just not "late for dinner" !!!!

wrassecal

Just because I moved the computer by the fish tank and sit there wearing my Tshirt with the "REEF SAFE" emblem on itand have my magnifying glass for catching a look at the night critters in my lap while on this bb all night does not mean I'm a nerd!!! Does it?

ekclark

I am back again--a bad sign. I was cool in high school, social chair of my fraternity in college, Sigma Chi, date attractive women, but that all goes out the window when a friend comes across my computer print out of how my water tests.

ntvflgirl

Aren't there any "reef clubs" out there? I know there aren't any around here. It seems this would be a much bigger hobby...per capita, anyway.

jarre

broomer5 - I love the "Wish You Were Here" album!!
I'm a business owner, I do heavy data processing work (ie: I have a database with 150,000,000 names in it). In order to have a pocket protector showing one must wear a shirt and since I work in my home who needs a shirt?? :D
Don't know of many people who have my data processing power in there home or the communications speeds (T1). So I definately qualify on that level!!
I'm not into dating much simply because I don't like the chase and since I have only LFS and food to get me out of here one could say I qualify on that level as well.
Frankly, I've been called so many things in my lifetime - NERD is quite a compliment!!! ROTF
ntvflgirl - As long as the T-Shirt says "REEFERS DO IT UNDERWATER"...rather than "REEFERS GO UP IN SMOKE!" ROTFLMAO

ntvflgirl

Being fish nerds, we can't and don't want to change...but Jarre, you need to get out more, buddy!!! You don't want to add "hermit" to the list do you?
ps: that's the bad kind of hermit, not the scarlett legged.:p

overanalyzer

I prefer to think of myself as a geek .... nerds have such a negative connotation ....
plus everyone calls me a geek - hell I work in IT and even the other IT geeks tell me I am a geek Maximus ... I've even been called an Alpha Geek ....
Nerd - last guy to call me a nerd ended up getting hurt (he fell over laughing when I asked him to step outside).....

jarre

ntvflgirl - I'll agree with you!!! There was a time in my life where I was that type of hermit. Once I get a couple of the applications I'm developing done then it's PARTY time and time to get out and enjoy life more! ;)
overanalyzer - I understand!!! ROTF

F

fishkid1000

I am in junior high. Im the starting quaterback. I have all kinds of friends. Football buddies, skaters, stoners, nerds, and people that dont fit into a class. In english when i read my paper every boy and hot chick start claping. I am not a player and only have one girlfriend. I am in builders club (comunity service). I oftenly help my grandpa take care of his property. I oftenly golf. And belive it or not i snowboard. I dont consider myself a nerd. Im just not mean like the rest of the people. ost people think this hobby is pretty cool.

nacl-h2o

Wrassecal > I think it does, don't it feel good. :) Just remimber the flash light with the red plastic over the lense.
overanalyzer > LOL :D :D :D All we mere reef nerds, hale the alfa reef geek.

rich1515

I guess I look at it this way. I got into the saltwater tank life very late (31) but funny how after I sent a few pics to a couple of my friends at work, three of them went out and bought a 90 gallon, a 60 gallon and a 150 gallon!
All of them asked me to help them get started and now all we do is trade pics back and forth bragging about new inhabitants that we have added!
My wife who was calling me a geek at first, now brags to all of her friends that she has a beautiful piece of the ocean in her house. Geeks? Nerds? Nay I say! It's the people that don't "get it" about how beautiful these tanks are that are the true geeks.

ntvflgirl

So, 31 is "Late in Life"????!!!!! Well, I guess it's all downhill from here. I'M 32!!!!! I thought life began at 40!!!