Are you athiest? Christian?

tigerlover

Personally, I am a Christian, from all evidence I have, I have concluded that Jesus Christ really was the son of God and died for my sins. I used to be an athiest, then I practiced magic, and then I read this book called the Case for Christ (I urge you to read it) and I found the truth. I used to question God because all these Christians were so people-centric, and I thought, "If their God is all loving, then why do they only love people, and not his other creations?" But then I found verses that proved that God wanted us to love them all, so I looked for more, and I found everything I looked for and more, and I felt it, so now I truly know in my heart that God is real. What about you? What do you believe?

ophiura

Personally I find it bordering on insulting, discriminatory and potentially inflamatory to put "atheist or other, Jewish included." :notsure:
Maybe, if this was the place for it, write "Christian" or "Non-Christian" specify. But I've learned from several people on this board that my Christian beliefs (Roman Catholic) do not appear to qualify as Christianity anyway, and I reckon even within the rest of the "Christian" denominations there are plenty of disagreements as well.
People are entitled to their beliefs, and I don't want to see preaching and attempts to convert going on. Religion is a very sensitive and personal issue. But probably because I am stupid, I'll leave this open for now. But based on threads on different subjects like politics and evolution/creationism, I don't see a bright future for this one.

tigerlover

I'm not in any way trying to insult anyone. I'm simply opening up a discussion for those who would like to discuss what they believe. I'm not discriminating at all, It's just that it wouldn't let me put more than two options, and I was considering putting "Do you believe in God", so I felt the need to put Jewish down because they do believe in God, just not that Jesus was his son. I'm sincerely sorry for the confusion.

1968oldsma

yeah that was kind of rough i myself am an Atheist i dont belive in anything. my veiw on religion will get a lot of people angry so i will keep my mouth shut on that one.

tigerlover

hey, is there no way to delete posts now? I tried to delete this, but it won't let me. I do not want to offend anyone, though I did see possibilities of an argument, I figured it would just get closed if that happened, but still. Just forget it if everyone will take offense to mere words, and if anyone takes offense to me saying "mere words", then grow up(oohh, more words) Come on now, Intent is what matters, and my intent was not offense.

tigerlover

AND one more thing, if I had just said Christian and Athiest(seeing as there are only two choices), you would have probably said "You didn't include Jewish (or Islam or some other religion), That's HORRIBLY OFFENSIVE!" Come on now...

ophiura

Again, it probably would have been better to say "christian" or "non christian" and let people who wanted say "neither" in their post. It can be misunderstood, especially after several recent threads that ended up on religious topics :yes:

hagfish

I have seen and heard of many prayers (in the name of Jesus) that were answered and in many cases they were answered immediately. A woman in our church grew up in a family where her father was a preacher and was not getting paid anything at all. They relied entirely on prayer to meet their needs for food and money. They weren't homeless or anything though. They would pray for food every meal (because they had none) and shortly afterwards someone would bring them some food. They would pray for money for a bill, and they asked for exactly what they needed (say $123.08) and they would soon receive a check for the exact amount. I don't believe those kind of things can be a coincidence (and I don't think the story is a lie), certainly not for an entire lifetime.

hagfish

1968OldsMa, how can that be coincidence? I mean this didn't happen once or twice. This is how this family lived every day.
I know of a similar example of a revival preacher that was at our church one day that prayed for money when he needed it too. He said once he was driving into a town that he'd never been to before and he didn't have any money. Well he needed $20 (I forget what for) so he prayed for $20. Only a few minutes later while at a stop sign (or light) a man walked right up to his car and handed him a 20 dollar bill without the man saying a word. Coincidence?
Also, my grandfather has had some incredible prayers answered. On three seperate occasions he has went temporarily blind and had symptoms of stroke. Each time he prayed and explained to the Lord that he wanted to be able to teach sunday school (which he was already doing) and do work for the Lord and that he wouldn't be able to do these things if he were blind or if he had a stroke. Each time the blindness and pain went away soon after prayer. Later he would ask his doctor about each occurance and the doctor said in all likelihood he was having a stroke or a precursor to a stroke and that he is lucky to be alive at all or have normal human capabilities.
Also, with my grandpa, he had some kind of bug infestation once. He prayed that the Lord would protect his house from bugs and that He would make them go away. They were gone the next day and he's never had a problem since.
I've got more, but I fear I may have exceeded my limit already.

1968oldsma

So what if someone prays for a house it will just fall from the sky? sounds a little odd to me. Religion is just a crutch for the weak minded. Thats my opinion and i will stick to it, i know this is going to make people very unhappy i'm not going to apologize it's my opinion i'm allowed to it. I've never belived in any of that higher being nonsense. now i am not going to discriminate anyone because of there belifs. I just can't stand Jahova's witnesses that feel they to come to my door step at 8 in the morning on a sunday. I dont care much for that. Everyone is entilted to belive what they want i just dont want someone trying to shove there religion down my throat (not saying that, that is what you are doing Hagfish) I just don't think that is fair, and that is what makes me angry are these people that feel they need to tell me how wonderful there religion is...no thanks i will pass.

microman2k

i'm a Christian....i go to church every Sunday and Wednesday and i actually enjoy it!

i just got back from florida (jacksonville and orlando) from a choir trip...it was so much fun and we visted/sang at a lot of cool places too..www.tristateyouthchoir.org :happyfish
and at the end of this summer i am going on a mission trip up in west virginia to do a Bible School and finish building a church....... :joy:
and next year i just found out today... we are going to the dominican republic to help build a church and work at an orphanage! :cheer:
church has just done so much for me and my life..besides the whole spirituality aspect it has really opened my eyes to alot of the things in the world.....i mean i had never been to a homeless shelter..let alone stay in one until i got involved in church.....i didnt even know places like pregnancy crisis centers existed until this summer......going on some of these mission trips is a really heart wrenching experience

i dont even really know what got me off on those trips...but i have always grown up in church....i guess becuase i live in the "Bible Belt" and just about everyone here goes to church.... :yes:

tigerlover

oldsma, Wow, you just described how I used to feel to a tee. I used to think that anyone who believed in that crap(the bible) was nuts and just weak willed. But I decided that as an intelligent and well informed person I would do some research, expecting completely to once and for all shut those Christians up. But what I found was, like I said, the truth. It's not all some people say, it's just life, what has been created, but still, it's different, more peaceful, more hopeful. Read the Case for Christ, then see, I'm not forcing anything on you, but it makes it clear.

tigerlover

oh, btw, we're not saying if you pray for a house, it's gonna drop out of the sky, what we're saying is that if you are living in a sewer and really have faith, eventually you climb out. Oh, and why, you ask, were you living in a sewer? Many reasons, it gives you empathy for those in need, it makes you stronger, teaches you lessons, humbles you, or maybe gives another person a chance to help you and grow in their faith. That is just what I feel in my heart, and what God tells me to say, please just consider it, maybe you will find something, if you don't, then I accept your decision, you have free will, so use it freely :yes:

reefnut

Well I have been staying out of this whole thing and plan to after this post but I have to say... I am Christian & anything but weak minded. In fact, one has to be strong minded and strong willed to endure the persecution of claiming their religion. Every Christian that has posted here is strong minded... and btw, I'm not angered a bit :)... one day it will all be clear.
Nice post microman2k...