arowana

deepwater

i need help finding some of the harder to find types of these fish
i have seen some of the less red out there but im looking for a
"real red" one

shadow678

Arowana are freshwater species, so you might have better luck finding one on a freshwater forum board. Unless you are close to west Texas, as I am about to order a few for a customer. lol

deepwater

i just want ot find a real red one thats all
i am aware that they are fresh water fish though thanks for your concern!

Red arowanas are asian aros.
They are not really all that rare, but they are VERY pricey...much more expensive than any SW fish ive seen.
I think the last one i heard of was around 2000 pound (price)..not sure how much that is in us dollars..

deepwater

superchild thanks for the info but 2000lb that seems a little steep dont you think in after all its just a fish right....

shadow678

Hmmm....the most expensive arowana I sell are the large silver, which would be around 20", and I sell them for $50. My regular African arowana go for $15.....perhaps it's just me, though. lol

2000 pound in money, not weight.
Yes, its expensive.
Silvers are american arowanas, reds are asian.
There is a big difference.
I have yet to see a red aro in real life..but i heard my lfs talking about one at the wholesalers. trade price was 1500 english pound..dunno what that is in us dollars..

swtanks

If you live in the US forget about an Asian aro. They are illegal. Some countires in Europe also enforce the ban.
They are an endangered CITES 1 species.
Even though there are farmed/tagged aros for sale, the law does not distinguish between those and the wild ones. Big time fines and jail time if you get caught with one. Even if you do find a dealer (there are a lot but it takes time to gain their trust) you better know what you are buying. There are Reds, Chili Reds, Red Tail Golds, Crossbacks, etc. You can get burned bigtime if you just ask for a "red".
Check arofanatics.com for info on the Asian aros.
Oh, one more thing. Expect to pay between $1500 and $2500 US for average quality on these types and they will only be about 4 inches long. Higher quality raises the price considerably.
Platinums can go for $150,000 US.
The cheapest ones are the greens.
Illegal fish cost big bucks due to the risk involved.

Indeed.
I never said they were´nt illegal:D
There are lots and lots of reds. Super red, chilli red..then the fish farms usually have their own version of red...then there are red tailed golds, then the crossbacks...

dirtybilge

Most prices, depending on size for the super red tailed golden range from $5K-$25K. I have had a Ausis, silver and a black.
ED

shadow678

I'm cheap. ;) Actually, since my store is shut down right now(renovating the location) I'm not charging much, and not keeping anything in stock right now. My MaRS unit and my acrylic display tanks are all empty right now, and I am only doing custom ordering, delivery upon receipt right now. Without all the costs of overhead(lighting, feeding, salary, usual operating costs) I'm able to cut the prices down pretty well, at least until I get my store opened up again.

deepwater

shadow you never gave a shout out about what you can get
i'm still interested in getting one of these i found a silver one about 5 inches long in salt lake but it was 65.00$ not a very good deal i think and why in godds name are those other ones so damn expensive that seems like robbery in my book