asterina star?

jaxfishgirl

I just got this GSP frag, did a FW dip. I put it in the tank and noticed this little grey spot. Looks like an asterina star to me, but I just want a confirmation.

moondog

Keep and eye on those, I have so many they have gotten out of control, now I have some that are eating my frags of GSP. I know this is supposed to be few and far between, but better to remove them when you only have a few. This is just my experience with them.

jaxfishgirl

oh geez. I just found one more, so I currently have 2. If I get infested, I may have to "borrow" a harlequin shrimp.

moondog

I just suck as many out as I can while I am changing the water.
I think I was an exception to the rule, you don't see many people with the Predatory asterina star fish, most people say that they are just eating the algae off of the corals, but in my case, they actually ate the polyp.

jaxfishgirl

Originally Posted by Moondog
http:///forum/post/3238322
I just suck as many out as I can while I am changing the water.
I think I was an exception to the rule, you don't see many people with the Predatory asterina star fish, most people say that they are just eating the algae off of the corals, but in my case, they actually ate the polyp.
oh geez, I hope mine don't go murderous. They so far stay on the glass

ibanez

I currently have 3 that have never set foot on any of my corals, one has a pretty purple back and must be a different kind but I don't see that one often. I couldn't find an I.D. anywhere for it so I assume it is an astrina. I would love to have them over-populate my tanks so that I could get a harlaquin shrimp, which my wife and I would love to have if we had a close source to buy starfish for him to eat.

socalnano24

I have about 300 in my 29 gallon. Two or three of them have gotten to be dime sized and perfectly star shaped. The other several hundred are all about the size of an eraser or smaller. Probably started with four about a year ago.
I have noticed that they eat some types of coralline, but never have had any issues with corals. I see no reason to get rid of em

moondog

I didn't see any reason to remove them either, now they are out of control 1,000 plus. And I keep having to pluck them off of my GSP, they have killed half of the colony at this point.
I guess I am the lucky one that got the predatory type of asterina starfish.

moondog

I am not sure if my formia, or my two serpent stars would appreciate that. I would assume the harlequin is not partial to eating asterinas.

gill again68

I have 3 of them, IN MY SUMP! If they get busy I can watch them. Ill decide there if they will ever go back up top.

nigerbang

I have been battling those starfish for years!
Started by eating 90% of my gsp, then moved on to zoas.. Which they have consumed about $400 worth now(give or take $10).
Pull them out everytime you see one. Even then though, you might be fighting a losing battle.. They spread like the plague..

moondog

At least I am not the only one fighting that battle. I siphon them out when I clean the tank.
How is that in-wall setup going NigerBang?