Astrowars

russianspy

I seem to have run into a delemia
My neighbor has a population of 2 and starbase of 5, Is there anyway to quick jump this? I have been sending all my PP's to my robitics factory I am now at +2/hr. And my science is social.
Can i quick jump him..This game takes a while so by wuick jump I mean go faster then him!

elfdoctors

Russian Spy - Not too much happens in the first three days after you join. Slow down. You are not in any danger yet. Build yourself up before you worry about other people. Here's a few comments:
Only newbies build up starbases quickly. Don't worry about them. Attacking starbases is an easy way to get experience points later in the game. They will not help with any future development. You will get lots of advance warning if someone were to foolishly launch at you now. You could get a starbase up relatively easily and defeat any hostile force launched by someone else who just started.
The country flags for new players are usually added within a few days. Then you can tell where people are from. I suggest waiting a few days before you talk to them. You don't want to NAP a weak player. If they are not building up as quickly as everyone else, they are a potential target after I get 1 or two free planets colonized.
Use the battle calculator to estimate how many ships are needed to defeat a level 2 starbase. It is located under the help tab. Assuming all things being equal (such as race), 3 destroyers has a 93% chance of defeating a level 2 starbase.
You have tons of cybernets right now. What you need are more factories and farms. Right now you are only making 1 PP/hr. That means to make those 3 destroyers (which I would not do) it will take you 90 hours (not counting two or three transports which would cost you twice as many PP's. By buying factories, you can buy everything else more quickly. By buying farms, your population will increase more quickly. With each population increase you will get 1)a point in the game 2) another PP/hr and 3) another science point/hr. You need to get farms and factories built up ASAP. Those cybernets will help you to expand more quickly. It usually takes ~24 hours to travel to a neighboring planet with an energy of 0 so plan accordingly. When your culture gets down to ~22-23 hours, I would launch 1 (or preferably 3 or 5) colony ships to get a second planet and get that planet built up quickly. This is a newbie error but you have to make these to get better. I remember I waited a day to spend any points as I didn't want to waste them. This game is a little hard to learn at first but it will captivate you soon.
Physics and math only make a difference if they are 6 levels above or below your opposition. I was originally taught to get my social level up to 10 and then study math and physics trying to get both of them up to 15. Periodically study biology (so you can see more worlds) and energy (so it won't take days to travel to the next planet or system). You will be able to colonize relatively quickly (should be a neigboring planet) because of all those cybernets you bought so quickly. Economy is the least valuable of all the sciences.
If you can read french, you are a potentially valuable NEMO. We need people who can read foreign languages. In the forums section, you can often read foreign player's plans when they are attacking alliances like the NEMOs.
Whenever you start, you are listed in a default time zone. You should adjust this based upon your time zone (e.g. central daylight time is GMT -5). This is done under the settings tab.
I hope that helps.
ffisherman - how did your battle turn out? Were we right?

russianspy

Thanks Doc, That was very helpful, I already have a NAP with the 2nd strongest person I think. I ran into a german speaking swiss and am having some trouble with him...I'll have to spend my money on Farms cuz i know make +6/hr.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Doc should mod for AW. :D Their mods leave much to be desired over there. In fact, their BB leaves much to be desired as well. I was seriously thinking of posting a Newbie Info thread over there with a link to this thread.

elfdoctors

The NEMOs and our allies would lose our advantage if we disclosed all our "secrets". :D Some information that is posted here is probably best not shared with known enemies (like racial data). Thanks for the compliment but I don't have the time to moderate over there. My wife is getting on my case not to play so much. :notsure: Personally, I rarely look at the AW forums. There is some helpful information there, but there is also a lot of garbage.
It is nice to see marine aquarists having some fun together.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, you're right. Helping a new player would mean giving all enemies the edge. What a world! Sounds like real life! :scared:

belothsurf

Don't feel bad Russian, I launched a fleet of 12 Transports to an unknown planet that I had under seige. When I got the message that my fleet was conquered, I realized that I had sent them to the wrong planet.....huh, uh huh...huh?
Originally posted by elfdoctors It is nice to see marine aquarists having some fun together.

Doc, Is there any way I can send a fleet of " Ich, hair algea, and cyano" to one of my enemies????
:D

belothsurf

Click on science, then click on change, then pick which one you want to increase. You can only have one science increasing at one time. The science level by your name, indicates the highest level gained in any science.
Your social science has to be higher than your highest level of pop on a planet, in order for your population level to increase on that planet. Your hydro farms inrease the rate at which the population grows. Once your pop level reaches your social science level on any planet, the pop stops growing until you raise the social level.

elfdoctors

Originally posted by RussianSpy
When i click on my name it says science 2 everyone else in my system has science 4 how do I get mine higher?

Buy some research labs after you have gotten your farms and factories up to at least 6 each.
Your science scores will go up faster with every lab you buy as well as every population level (on any of your planets) that you achieve.

belothsurf

...whew!.... I think it's getting serious in my "neck of the woods"........I just killed 90% of a 22 Battleship fleet with one of my starbases.........fortunately my Spanish friends happen to be top leaders in "HNU"...and they are everywhere around here.....but....we are still fighting a couple of nasty French guys.
I am only a few squares away from Boyalait, of "ES",.....and come to find out, in a few more squares, I'll be able to see Massondragon. Everybody around here is now part of an alliance. I even had a guy suggest I start one......Ha-ha.
Guess I better make up my mind.....before I die..... :D

ffishermen

i finally won a battle. :joy: . i now have 6 planets and getting ready to attack another star. my allie & i own all the planets in our system. in a couple of days we will start attacking another system that is 1-2 lvl below us.
any words of wisdom from all you pros out there:D .
later

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Someone I have a NAP with is working on rankings. But his friends are letting him hit their planets to gain ranking pts. That is not exactly my idea of an "earned" ranking.