Astrowars

elfdoctors

Another version of Astrowars will be starting in the next several days. Many people from these boards are participating. There is even an alliance of reefkeepers (called the Galactic Alliance of NEMOs). I am going to post this url as Sammystingray hasn't done it yet. This game is great.
If you click on this link to sign on, I will get a small bonus:
http://82.165.38.217/register/?r=45469

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Except that don't everyone go over to online games and leave the forums in the dust. :nope: elf, naughty doc that you are, you left all the ailing fishys in the waiting room. :nope:
I'm getting my broadband next wk, so I'll go check it out..........now sammy, tell me again what you said my username was going to be??? :D I'm just dreaming about beating your fanny in outter space!

elfdoctors

The new beta starts Monday.
If anyone wants to be part of the NEMO alliance, they should log in to the above link at 10:00 Eastern time Monday night July 12th to be sure that you will be close to friendly players. The game is much easier with allies. It is slow the first few days but then gets very interesting.

T

thomas712

Doc, the game opens up in about 40 minutes and I don't want to loose the pp over the next few hours, so I'll join up just after 4:00pm EST.
I hope some of you will be near me. Please post your usernames as well so we can tell who is who.
Thomas

elfdoctors

I'm at Altherf (-20/-31). My entire system has NEMOs in it.
My username is the same as here - elfdoctors.

belothsurf

I went ahead and signed up a few days ago. Can I redo it and sign up with yall. It seems like a complicated game, though, and I don't want to screw things up for you. I just couldn't find anything that explained the basics of the game. Sounds like fun.

T

thomas712

Originally posted by belothsurf
I went ahead and signed up a few days ago.

New game started just today, you might want to check back in. Spend your first production points on Robotics to gain more production points.
If you have questions post them here.

ross

I missed the nemo log in. I guess i will have to miss out on being a nemo this beta. I am at 22/-30 i think...but i will prolly resign and rejoin in a few days to get farther out....hopefully away from the big alliances.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Too late to join NEMO?

I get comcast on Thurs. What exactly is so much fun about it?

elfdoctors

Go ahead and sign up anyway. Some of the NEMOs were not able to join last night either. The game expands in circles so it is still possible that you may land close to the another NEMO. Even though we signed on en masse, we ended up strung over a good distance.
When you sign on, you can go to the diplomacy forum (within astrowars) and find the Galactic Nemos thread. In the first post (ignore the rest of it) you will find the url to connect with the secure NEMO website. From there you can request to join the NEMOs. We have some associations with other alliances. We may be able to get you hooked up with another alliance which is closer. Having allies makes your probability of success much higher.
Not signing in within the first few days also decreases the chance that you will be easy fodder for a large alliance (like us).
As of the last update a few hours ago, only 3136 players have logged on (last beta there were over 14,000!). These players are from all around the world (only 16.6% of the players are from the US; playing from at least 34 different countries).
Besides being a civilization-like game (belothsurf - I have not played the games you referred to), there is a lot of diplomacy and messaging back and forth with allies and dealing with attacks and expansion. There are a lot of educated people playing this game (e.g. I am only 1 of 3 family physicians involved with the NEMOs). Message as many people as you can communicate with.
When you start, change your science to social and invest most of your early production in factories and farms.

sammystingray

Originally posted by elfdoctors
there is a lot of diplomacy and messaging back and forth with allies and dealing with attacks and expansion.

No doubt this is the BEST part of the game. If you don't deal well with the people around you.....you simply won't make it the whole beta. If you can get ahead quickly, such as have the highest population and whatnot, people are more apt to deal with you than another player in my experience. The guy that only checks in once a day is also usually seen as a potential target. This is a game that you can NOT play solo and do well IMO, and if you don't get some people to work with you and help each other.....a group will take you out. Communication and planning is the best part by far. I have yet to talk with the people in my system because I want to see who the strongest player is going to be first. I see one guy hasn't logged in today, so I know he is still making 1 PP per hour, and I am already looking and thinking about taking his planet soon before the others do.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
:scared: OMG this sounds like the politics at work! LOL
Sounds like you need to invest a lot of time and effort on this game. So its something you have to play daily? SimCity style?

elfdoctors

Originally posted by Beth
:scared: OMG this sounds like the politics at work! LOL

Except that you don't get to kill someone at work who irritates you!!!
Sounds like you need to invest a lot of time and effort on this game. So its something you have to play daily? SimCity style?

It is best to check in several times a day. Most of the time you can check in and log out quite quickly. There is more time involved with coordinating attacks later in the game. (The Nemo website helps a lot with this).

stacyt

My username is the same on Astrowars, as it is here.
Should take out my 1st victim sometime tomorrow, or early Saturday.

stacyt

Thomas712,
I see that you're ranked in the top 50 most planets list. Looks as thoug your not doing to bad.
schneidts,
Where are you located?

elfdoctors

Originally posted by schneidts
how do I join an alliance?

Welcome to the game! What are your coordinates? The game is huge so I may never see you.
If you want to join the NEMOs, here is the website for our alliance: www.knutsonclan.com/astrowars If you are close to any other Nemos you will be able to join right away and you will be granted access to the member coordination forums. Otherwise we may be able to help you get hooked up with another alliance that is friendly with us for this game. Alliances are not usually formed for a few more weeks so there is no great hurry. Message people in your area who seem to be good players. You may have to get a local ally by yourself to defeat other players in your system and then expand to other systems.
It took me almost half the game last time to find other NEMOs. Next beta you will be able to sign on with everyone else and have lots of local support. Good Luck! There are also several older threads in this forum which have some advice if you are looking for it.