ATI bulb questions

teaggs

Just looking for some good advice on bulb changes please. I have a 72" AquaticLife T5 lighting system. I am looking at replacing al my bulbs soon and need some advice on Ati bulbs. Should I go with four true actinic bulbs and four of the ATI special that is 15000K or is there a much better combo out there? I currently have a few Zoas and may get a few other corals, but nothing that rquires MH type lighting for sure. Any help is apprecaited. Thanks

aquaman

I just got those same fixtures x2 for my tank and am thinking of getting a 3rd one. Where are yo getting replacement bulbs at?

teaggs

he
I really have not looked many places except Marine Depot but I have read great things about ATI and would like some experienced advise on teh best possible set up to run...I have heard that mixing different spectrums can be a good thing but I dont know. Any advice out there? Thanks

nycbob

many people, including me buy their t5 bulbs from reefgeek.com. very good selection and dont hv the box fee. the site also gv u t5 bulb suggestion.

monsinour

on a different forum there is a poster, Grim Reefer, who has suggestions for best possible color and growth from a T5HO bulb combination.
Since we are mentioning where we get the bulbs, I plan on getting mine from Bulk Reef Supply. With membership in a group buy, they are the cheapest I have found on the net.

teaggs

is it possible for me to get in on group buy? if not, thats ok also. I would just like to find out the best combo for my tank...just seeking good advice form you pros out there

meowzer

I ahve a 72" set BUT IT HAS 3 metal halides AND 8 T5HO's
these are what I use in this light for T5's 4 ATI Blue Plus, 2 UVL Super Actinic, and 2 KZ fiji purple (all from Reefgeek)
I have a 29G with 4 T5HO bulbs, and I use 2 ATI Blus Plus, 1 ATI Aqua Blue Special, and 1 Aqua Science Special 15000K
just a couple of examples

aquaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/384473/ati-bulb-questions#post_3368036
on a different forum there is a poster, Grim Reefer, who has suggestions for best possible color and growth from a T5HO bulb combination.
Since we are mentioning where we get the bulbs, I plan on getting mine from Bulk Reef Supply. With membership in a group buy, they are the cheapest I have found on the net.
I guess I need to look into a membership and group buy, the bulbs listed are almost twice what they are at aquatraders. Unless I am missing something. I have ordered from both but the lights were far cheaper (for me) at aquatraders.

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman http:///forum/thread/384473/ati-bulb-questions#post_3368067
I guess I need to look into a membership and group buy, the bulbs listed are almost twice what they are at aquatraders. Unless I am missing something. I have ordered from both but the lights were far cheaper (for me) at aquatraders.
No offense meant by this, but those bulbs on that site are not near the quality of light bulbs made by ATI. You get what you pay for and in this hobby, lighting is not something you should chince out on.

aquaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/384473/ati-bulb-questions#post_3368117
No offense meant by this, but those bulbs on that site are not near the quality of light bulbs made by ATI. You get what you pay for and in this hobby, lighting is not something you should chince out on.
No offense taken. I do not know a whole lot about T5s and if one is better than the other I understand a price difference. BTW what makes one better than the other?

nycbob

ati, giesemann and uvi r good t5 bulbs. they give out better light that corals and inverts need. the cheaper bulbs will lose its intensity faster. t5 bulbs r to be replaced every 12 months especially if u r keeping the more sensitive corals.

nikesb

they are better bulbs simply because they give out better PAR, they use better phosphors therefor they have better spectrums. they also dont spectrum shift as quickly as some.

wangotango

How many bulbs does your fixture hold? A 2:1 ratio of blue plus to aquablue special and an occasional purple plus is nice IMO.

teaggs

It is an 8 bulb fixture. I spoke to nikeSB and got some good info. I have decided on my bulb combo and will be odering in the next few weeks. Looking forward to them..I am now getting into corals for the first time and cant wait. Thanks for the help

teaggs

I am going to go with the following:
ATI blue+
ATI Aquablue Special
KZ Superblue
KZ Fiji purple
I will let everyone know how it turns out...Thanks nikeSB for the help