Atlanitc Sharpnose Shark

nrgy

Hello,
I am new to these boards and discovered this seems to be the best/most open minded place to discuss sharks. Anyway, after visiting the shark aquarium at Mandalay Bay in LV a few months back I've been pounding my head trying to figure out a way to keep a shark.
I have the opportunity to convert a structure that holds roughly 1300-1500g into a shark tank/pond (although not the best way to display the shark), but before I go through the cost and expense to do so, I want to be able to locate a particular specie of shark.
In particular, I am interested in the Atlantic Sharpnose, and wondered if anyone has seen these for sale, or if anyone has any experience keeping one. From what I understand, this is a fairly small requiem shark that averages in adult size from 18" to 3'. Additionally, they are fairly hardy when properly handled and acclimated. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any place that even handles this particular shark, discouraging me from the possibility all together.
If anyone knows of some place that handles this shark, or where I could find one, I would appreciate the info. Additionally, if I'm not able to locate this particular shark, a Bonnethead would be another possibility. From what I've read, a few people have kept these. Where were the Bonnetheads purchased?
Thank you!

cincyreefer

How long and wide of a tank? Height really doesn't do anything for most sharks, so a 1000 gallon tank that is 6' x 3' really isnt much better than a 180.
Another thing to look into is rounding the corners off at 45 degree angle or so. Sharks (especially bonnetheads) can cause damage by getting stuck in a corner and keep ramming their head into the glass trying to get out.
I don't know if you already had this tank planned or not, or how experienced you are with sharks... but those are the first things i always point out to people who are looking into getting a shark tank.
Welcome to the boards!

jim27

Hmmmm I dont know much about this sharks captive care but I'd guess its similar to blacktips. I dont think they reach an adult size of 18" though, a little over three feet is about right according to what I've read. Personally I've never even heard of these in the aquarium trade. do you know the dimensions of the 1500g?
If you could come up with a home for the shark when it gets too big for the 1500g, I'd just say go with a black tip of bonnethead. I think you'd have a better chance finding them.
Good luck

moraymike

Welcome to the board, nrgy. I've heard of some folks catching Atlantic Sharpnose Sharks on rod and reel and transporting them to their home aquariums. In fact, an article in the November issue of "Tropical Fish Hobbyist" discusses catching your own sharks. Can you purchase them? I'm sure that you can from one of the Florida collectors.

nrgy

Thank you for the replies. Actually "Tropical Fish Hobbyist" is where I first came across the Atlantic Sharpnose. The article actually says they average around 18" to 3', but I agree 18" would seem unlikely for a full grown adult. The article goes on to say a 600g tank or larger would be suitable. In anycase, it would be quite a bit smaller than a black tip reef, and perhaps more practical. As much as I would love to have a black tip, I have to keep telling myself everyday to let it go :) But the sharpnose looks very similar anyhow, and half the size.
A bonnethead would be tempting as well, and may be an option however I'm sure I would need to find a new home for it eventually.
MorayMike, could you tell me a little more about the Florida collectors. Are these individuals that actually catch them, or businesses that supply marine fish to the aquarium trade?
The footprint of the tank is apprx. 7'L x 7'W x 4'H, with radius corners. I'm not sure how ideal this would be, but from what I understand this would allow the shark to swim in a circular pattern. In anycase, I appreciate the feedback, and any information.
I guess my main purpose for posting was to determine if the Atlantic Sharpnose or a Bonnethead could be attainable. If so, then I may consider pursing this (and building a more suitable tank if the current one would not work out), as I understand this is no small task.

mattiej

There are a few wholesalers that on occasion have sharpnoses but when they do they are asking in excess of $1200 for them. Also important is that the sharpies (as they are nicknamed) do not ship well therefore they have to be trucked in large transport tanks. This can add much to the final price. FYI the average adult size of a sharpie is about 42" and the can be slightly tempermental in captivity. I have been looking for awhile and might have a supplier but they will only sale to you after they thoroghly quiz you on knowledge, experience and set up.
The bonnets are a little more available but once again requires someone with a large tank/pool (yes overall footprint is more important than just gallonage) and with a lot of expierence. I'm not trying to discourage just do your research, have your system cycled, and be preapred for a large commitment of time and money. Good luck and have fun!;)

cincyreefer

IMO, a a 7' x 7' footprint is not big enough for a bonnethead unless you are planning to keep one only temporarily. I have always considered the bare minimum size for a bonnethead to be 8' x 8'

cincyreefer

Bunch of cool sh-t... Although most of it is gone already. :(
We do have a couple real nice 10" Majestic Angels left and some real nice 8" blue tangs. They weren't able to get any Lookdowns that were halfway decent quality. The ones they were about to buy had parasites on them, like most of the Atlantic fish they looked at.

moraymike

MorayMike, could you tell me a little more about the Florida collectors. Are these individuals that actually catch them, or businesses that supply marine fish to the aquarium trade?
Email me (mlamont@cox-internet.com) and I'll send you a couple links (don't want to offend anyone at saltwaterfish.com).

nrgy

Thanks for the tips and advice everyone. I actually found the site Smoothound posted earlier this week, and sent them an email asking some general questions, but havn't heard from them yet. I'm curious to know too if they are operational yet, as it doesn't look like they've updated their site since July or so.
I'll try and get some pics, but to tell you the truth, I probably wouldn't want to use it long term regardless of whether the tank was large enough because of the viewing angle, top only. However I would hope I could get by for a year or two, and perhaps build a custom tank. Fortunatley I have year round access to a shop so this is always a possibility.
In anycase, I still need to do a lot of research yet and decide if it would be worthwhile to have this added responsibility. Thanks for the food for thought!

saltfisher

Originally posted by smoothounds
www.sharks-for-sale.com I found this site searching for information on the Atlantic sharpnose coincidentely. Check it out.

I talked to those people several times. Their store is not opened yet. They claimed they moved or something.

saltfisher

Originally posted by cincyreefer
Bunch of cool sh-t... Although most of it is gone already. :(
We do have a couple real nice 10" Majestic Angels left and some real nice 8" blue tangs. They weren't able to get any Lookdowns that were halfway decent quality. The ones they were about to buy had parasites on them, like most of the Atlantic fish they looked at.

That sucks! Looks like I am gonna have to order that fish off the net. Some store in Cleve has one, but it's a "Threaded Lookdown" You know the difference?
What was the coolest specimen? Anything really rare?

bullshark

Originally posted by cincyreefer
IMO, a a 7' x 7' footprint is not big enough for a bonnethead unless you are planning to keep one only temporarily. I have always considered the bare minimum size for a bonnethead to be 8' x 8'

lol. I hope this was a joke....

cincyreefer

No... read the "bare minimum" size part. 1' x 1' makes a pretty big difference.
Saltfisher- A threadfin lookdown is the same thing as a lookdown, just a more descriptive name. I would definitely check out that places lookdown. Just pay close attention to it's eyes. That is normally where you can see parasites the easiest. Just make sure there are no slightly cloudy parts or slight hazyness. IMO, a freshwater dip might not be a bad idea if it is a real good eater at the store, just for precautions.
The coolest things we got in were a conspicuous angel, flagfin angel, 13" queen angel, and a 3' smoothound... It was by far the largest one I have ever seen.