Attaching PVC to SS?

slice

Could you tell us specifically what you are doing?
PVC tubing to Stainless tubing? For what purpose?
Is it a fairly tight fit?

mylady

Sorry, should have given more info. It's for the new grooming bus. The tanks are stainless steel and I am having problems filling through the available intake due to the cold. I would like to have an easier access, basically a hole with a PVC pipe going directly into it that I can just stick a hose in. The headaches I am experiencing with this new bus are going to drive me insane.

aquaknight

I believe you want to cut a hole in the stainless steel tank, and run PVC line in to it.
If that's the case, a Uniseal will provide water-tightness if the tank is curved. If the spot you want to run the PVC into is flat, why not just use a standard PVC bulkhead, aka the ones like we use on aquariums?

monsinour

Well, I cant get inside the tank. The tank is air tight and has been burst tested with compressed air. I am not sure how I want to do this now as I was thinking that if I make a hole in the top, the water pump might not work right. Its not a contstant on type of pump. It just builds up pressure and maintains that pressure. I just might add a T to the plumbing and figure out a way to get water into the tank that way.

al&burke

[strike]You could use compression fittings - the stainless part is a standard tube that is where you use a compression fitting then adapt to a slip fitting for the pvc pipe. I have used ss compression fittings on 3000 psi systems. It looks something like this the connection on the left is the compression fitting that conects to the SS Pipe then the right fitting is a standard NPT (pipe fitting) all you need is a female adapter - which hase a female npt fitting on one side and the other is a slip for your PVC pipe. Hope this helps. [/strike]
Edit Sorry i missunderstood you, you could get someone to weld a coupling onto your tank then you can add whatever you want to that for a connection, even the fitting shown before.

2quills

Wondering if you could use something like a latching fuel cap assembly by cutting a hole and just epoxying it to the tank.

monsinour

its standard lever valves that have garden hose pieces connected to it for the in and out on the bus.
I left the welding/fab shop down in atlanta and the closest one that can do it for free is in toledo.
The more I think about this the more I like the idea of a T junction with some kind of vinyl attachment with a garden hose screw piece on it. I gotta figure it out soon though. Its rain/freezing rain/snowing here now and the pipes will be frozen tomorrow morning.

al&burke

Monsi - if you have a line going to the tank already you can install a tee, you will just need to have a couple of ball valves on the lines so when you go to fill the tank you can shut off the line where the water comes out and the same for the line that you will use to fill it - maybe install a quick connect on the supply line and have the ball vavle on the tee to isolate it. Good luck

monsinour

Well, the weatherman lied to us. Originally it was supposed to be 2-3" of snow. Well, over the 0.5" of ice there is about 4-5" of snow. Schools were closed and we had to cancel the morning appointment.
There are 4 lines in the back of the van.
Grey drain
Fresh drain
Fresh fill
Fresh overfill
All 4 have these kinds of valves on them

I was thinking about getting a T and attaching one of those to the T and then vinyl on the other side of that to get my connection on the inside of the bus. I am hesitant to do this work as it will mean I will have to lift the counter out of the way. Anyone want to hazzard a guess of what a 6 foot long counter made of 20 gauge stainless weighs? I know the tub is removable and that thing is heavy. The tub is about 3 feet long and made of the same stainless. I have no idea if I will be strong enough to get the counter out of the way on my own.