Attaching Ricordea frag?

S

shaynster

I have a little ricordea frag and was wondering if it would be ok to put a little 1 inch by 2 inch peace of live rock on it to hold it in place until it attached. I was only going to put the edge of the lr on it. I got the frag today and this is the only thing I have right now.
Thanks, Shayn

rickster

With all due respect Shayne.
If you place a 1"x2" inch rock on a 1/2" frag, I doubt the darn thing would appreciate it! Now if it were a 5 inch frag, it might even like it.
Do what everybody else does and glue it to the rock if it wont stay.

a&m aggie 04'

Dont mushrooms move unattach themselves when they dont like the spot they are placed?? I wouldnt glue, id net them to the rock and they will attach themselves.
Mark

rickster

With all due respect Mark,
Not all Ricordea are shrooms. He didnt say what species he had so I posted (somewhat rudely) that you should never place an object on top of a coral or any other aquarium animal. But my best response seemed to be that IF it was moving at all... then it was NOT a shroom, since they move so slowly. It is my opinion that if you want a slow moving thing to stick, then glue it in with super-glue. I have never heard of anybody gluing a shroom.

a&m aggie 04'

i thought shrooms unattached themselves and moved with the current. Im not sure ricordia are the same way, but ive always attached with a net or just set them in a low current area-- in a few days they attach. JMO though. But, I do second that you shouldnt put a rock to hold them down.
Mark

jarvis

Normally what I do is take and cut peices from large ricordias to move em around. and stick em with a tooth pic to keep them from blowing around.

bang guy

Originally posted by Rickster
Not all Ricordea are shrooms.

Hi Rickster,
Could you enlighten me here? I thought there were only two species of Ricordea mushrooms, Yuma and Florida. Are there more? Can you point me to a reference? I'd like to learn more about the non-mushroom Ricordea.
Thank you!
Guy

rickster

Bang Guy,
Im gonna eat those words until I find where I read this. And no, lol, I do not have a rare ricordea....I did find that there are several rare species documented, but I still cannot find where I read about the non-mushrooms...just kept it in my head for the last several years without actually questioning it. But when I do find it I will update this thread.
R