Attention SWF.com Members

beth

Administrator
Staff member
OTs are kinda taking over the focus of the BB lately so, at this point, we are asking that OTs be limited to subjects that would be of general interest to most members. Please think about the content of the subject you are posting, prior to initiating an OT Thread, and whether the topic has value to the general population of our online community. If a posted OT does not have that “general appeal or interest” then we will be deleting them. If you're posting OTs more than just on an occasional basis, you might consider joining a General Discussion BB or visiting chat rooms, rather than posting those subjects on a BB that is set up exclusively to discuss the marine hobby.
The BB is for hobby related discussions, not OTs or chit-chats between small groups of friends.
We know that you will understand and that most of you will appreciate this decision; after all, we all came here to talk about marine fish tanks, right??

beth

Administrator
Staff member
That's cool DVS, we're not saying "eliminate", just be a bit prudent about it and don't forget that this is a hobby BB, not an OT BB. That's all we're asking.
Thanks!
:D

krux

i know it might cost a couple bucks to the web developer, but maybe swf could add a new section for ot and general discussions. someone did it to add the photos.... shouldnt bee too hard.
i know it is easier to just not have as many ot posts, but if there was a central place to put them, then maybe there would be a bit more focus in specific threads.
same effect, one being more welcoming of general and non specific networking and chit-chat.

timsedwards

I totally agree, there are too many 'pointless' OT's, some are interesting (Iraq, how long it takes to get to LFS etc) but we really need a seperate forum for them.
We cant stick our heads in our tanks and forget bout the outside world, sometimes it is nice to talk about some other stuff which is either 1)mildly related or 2) a prominent issue. Perhaps mods could find away of limited an OT to one a week or something?
All the best,
Tim.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Its not a matter of SWF.com adding a new forum. Yes, we could, and have. We had an OT forum awhile back called the AQUARIUM which was totally dedicated to OT. It was closed because the focus of SWF.com is HOBBY not chitchat. There were just too many pointless topics and problem areas seemed to emanate from that forum. Thus, it was closed. As a compromise we allow some OT in the Hobby Forums, but, again, these should really be limited and have some general appeal…and I don’t mean like: “POLL: How many French fries do you eat during the Week?” ;) I’m being facetious, but you know what I mean.
OTs are ok, but it is not the focus or even prominent at SWF.com. We don’t have a Forum for it just because general discussion is not what SWF.com is about.
In consideration for everyone, it is fine to post an OT, and please continue to designate them as OT in your Thread Header, just don’t make them a habit.

bang guy

The Sharks are all in agreement with Beth. There's nothing wrong with an OT post as long as the content is interesting and/or informative to the board in general.
If you find yourself ONLY contributing to OT topics then perhaps there are other boards that are better suited to your interests. This Board is devoted to the Saltwater Aquarium hobby and we do our best to help anyone and everyone. We just feel that too many OT posts will detract from the value of this board.

rane

What I think would help in that sense is whydont they Enable the IM feature in this board? I think it will be useful
my .02 cents

hairtrigger

I am not trying to choose sides or anything here, but I have to agree with the sharks.
They aren't saying we CAN'T post OT topics. They're just saying to post them tastefully.
That's pretty reasonable. And I think we can all post OT's that everyone may find interesting.
No biggie. No need for drama. :cool:

broncofish

An OT is only going to stay around if people are interested, if not it disappears. I agree that OT's should be limited, but I can't help but feel that this thread was aimed a little at me beth. You put it up right after my OT, the first one I ever posted, and Tim running around to every post saying "read the sticky at the top of this forum" is bloody rude man. I have grown to look at this community as a place of friends. Where every so often an OT to get to know a little bit else about the people we talk to everyday is good. The board is serving it's porpuose. I buy stuff from SWF now, just as way to say thanks for the board, when normaly I would have picked up the goods elsewhere. I am having questions answered, I am answering questions when I can, and am enjoying seeing other beautiful tanks. Just my .02, and quite possibly some of the last .02 I might add.

bang guy

Originally posted by broncofish
You put it up right after my OT, the first one I ever posted

Just coincidence... we've been discussing OT's for a couple days ;)

broomer5

coincidence for sure broncofish
Not directed at you personally I can assure you.
I myself have created and participated in OT threads from time to time over the years. I try to keep them to a minimum. That's all the mods are asking.
Some of these OT threads are meaningful and allow us to share other interests in our lives.
Other pets we keep, public aquariums we've visited, pictures of ourselves or other hobbies that some of us share. Stuff like this I find interesting and gives us a better understanding of the lives of our members here.
I like hearing that a member got married or just had a baby.
I think the point of bringing this up is to try and reduce or eliminate some of the other types of OT threads, that really are kind of silly, such as;
Do you like ketchup or catsup ?
Do you wear Nike or Reebok ?
What's your choice of motor oil ?
Poll: How many toenail clippers do you own ?

beth

Administrator
Staff member

Originally posted by broncofish
but I can't help but feel that this thread was aimed a little at me beth. You put it up right after my OT, the first one I ever posted, and Tim running around to every post saying "read the sticky at the top of this forum" is bloody rude man

broncofish, be assured that I didn't direct this announcement at you at all. Of all the mods, I notice OTs least, as I'm too busy in the Disease Forum to get out and about in the other forums very often. I didn't even see the OT you posted.
I am leaving this thread stuck to the FISH and REEF Forums for a day or 2 so that everyone who visits SWF.com regularly has a chance to see it...thus, no need for individual members to point out the thread to other members. Mods here will be looking at OT's in a few days, once folks have a chance to read this.
I know that everyone here is mature and that you know and understand what we are talking about. No need to be fearful or embarrassed, or even slighted. Bang Guy mentioned that we’ve been discussing OTs for a few days, and we have...we have actually been discussing it on-and-off for awhile. This really isn’t a “new” rule; we're just trying to maintain the focus and quality of the BB for everyone's enjoyment and appeal. Please no one be offended.

broncofish

Thanks Mods & Sharks for the reasurrance. Broomer where you been have not heard much from you in the DIY forum lately?

overanalyzer

Originally posted by timsedwards
I totally agree, there are too many 'pointless' OT's, some are interesting (Iraq, how long it takes to get to LFS etc) but we really need a seperate forum for them.

Sorry but I'd think that how long takes to get to the LFS would be considered ON topic not OFF topic ....

timsedwards

Overanalyser
- perhaps you are right, i was pointing out that ones like how far away is your lfs is interesting and an OT that is good to be aired. Where it is aired is not my job :)
broncofish
-im sorry if i offended you, no harm was ever meant. i was merely wanting people to be aware that the mods were trying to make a very valid point and the place to discuss what people have for lunch etc might not be in this forum! And if it is, then to limit it. If people see other OT's then maybe leave theirs for a day or so! Only my .02 and im sorry if you thought i was being rude :(
All the best,
Tim.

jhead

Would the OT thread's lessen if we could use PM's to each other instead? I use PM's and email forwarding on another message board and I love it.

scotts

I do not want to step on anyone's toes but I will have my say and then go watch a MASH re-run. I understand the viewpoints of the mods. I belong to an electrical site that has a general disussion forum. It is quite interesting and a lot of fun. Most of the threads have nothing to do with electrical. However I think the membership is smaller and.. well let's say a little less volatile. I can see how it would get out of hand over here. However we also don't have the OT polls that are seeming to gain popularity here.
So what am I saying, I have no idea, just wanted to boost my number of posts. :D :rolleyes: I did personally enjoy the thread by DS about people stealing his lunch.
I guess what the mods are saying is that let's have fun, but but don't add things that they appear as questionable.
Scott

beth

Administrator
Staff member
SWF.com really isn't about Instant Messaging...If people IM, then the community of the BB kinda defeats its purpose. If you're talking about your fish to someone privately, how does that benefit the rest of us? That is the good thing about bulletin boards--the wealth of sharing information and experiences with all. Also, everyone has Instant Messaging software. Thus, if you want to IM with other people you know on the BB, then just share your screen names with each other.
I frankly don't have time to IM. If I IM with people on the BB, then I can't take care of the Disease Forum and somebody will miss out on my continuous nagging about QTs ! And that would be crying shame! :p