ATTN: NHL FANS. YOUR PREDICTIONS FOR STANLEY CUP

mike j

You only assume that I cheer for the Canadian teams. I cheer for Canadian players rather than their teams. I could care less if the Leafs won with a bunch of Europeans on their team. I have been a die hard Sabres fan for 10 years and will not sell out and cheer for the Avs, Wings, Rangers, or any other team that wishes to purchase the Cup.
Now, for those of you who figure the Wings are going to win, I'm going to tell you why they can't beat the Avs.
Firstly, defence. I would much rather take Blake and Foote over Lidstrom and Chelios. You can call it experience all you want, bottom line is that Blake and Foote have been there, done that. They are no nonsense 25 minute players. They can and will get the job done. I'm loving the fact Blake has 4 goals in the last two games. The Red Wings look to have something going for them against St. Louis, which is fine, because playing either the Sharks or Avs will present a far greater challenge. Not only are the two teams younger than the Wings, but they play a much more physical game. Apart from the Isles, the Sharks have been playing the most physical hockey in the playoffs. A big part of this is the Avs defense. They have given the Sharks troubles all series and will continue to do so. Furthermore, Stuart and Rathje have had impressive defensive games thus far and could give the Wings some troubles.
Secondly is the offensive talent. I love Yzerman and Shanahan, but I would take Sakic and Forsberg over the Wings pair. Far more explosive and versatile, the Avs pair surpasses Steve and Brendan in speed and finesse. This goes without saying that Forsberg is the best playoff performer in the NHL today, hands down. He comes to play. It is unreal how he has fared after not playing at all in the regular season. Furthermore, the supporting cast of Reinprecht, Tanguay, Hejduk, and Drury have been amazing this season and into the playoffs. I would take these guys deep into the playoffs over the aged Luc and Brett.
Goaltending is a toss up. Being a huge Sabres fan, I know that Hasek is a big time goalie. This might be a good time to say shame on the Wings fans for booing him after the first two games. Hasek can't be phased, but he is extremely injury prone, particularly in the playoffs. If he goes down, and there's a chance he will, so do the Wings. Don't tell me Legace is a playoff goalie. Roy is just as good as Hasek though; goaltending is too even too pick apart.
Oh, and if the Red Wings fans are thinking third round already, don't look too far ahead, the second round is only two games old, we all know how much two games tells us about a series, right?
Just in case anyone cared, the league MVP will come from the Flames this year, make no mistake about it. Nice to see the organization can develop a player from raw potential. It would be interesting to see the last time the Wings did this...

mike j

P.S. crazyelvis - please, the Wings haven't done a good job of working any European market. Hasek has been in the league for years. Consider the fact that the Wings can afford to spend more than any team in the league save the Rangers. Maybe that has something to do with their roster???

crazyelvis

I am posting this with confidence even after a 6-1 defeat tonight... The Wings will prevail...
First off I will say the Iginla is one of the best players in hockey today... Only problem is the Calgary fans don't support thier team enough for them to be able to keep any great players ... So I am sure he will eventually be playing elseware..
When I speak of Euro players , I am not speeking of Hasik ... I am speaking of Fedorov, Konstantiov, Kozlov, Lidstrom and now Fisher and Datzuyk...
As for your position breakdown, you couldn't be more lost..
Defense: Lidstrom hands down , the best in the game... Chelios plus/minus leader... Wings defence 1st in the league in points...
Blake is great , however Foot is nothing more than an average player...
Offense: First off Forsberg hasn't played all year, at this point of the playoffs he should be fresher than most... But not even close to the best player in hockey!
Sakic is good , but some games he is no existant..
As for the Wings , you say Shanny, I say Fedorov... Either combo is better than anyone the Av's have... Even with Yzerman playing on one leg...
I agree golies is a toss up... Both can win you a series... I think Hasik's problem may be that he gets boared because the wings defence is much better than what he had in Buffalo... Sometimes his head isn't in the game because of that...
By the way the Av's better get going , or you won't have much to post about come next week...
Peace, CRAZY
P.S. - When you speak of buying a cup, do you forget about the Av's? How about Blake, Kasperitus, Roy , Last year Bourque????

AMEN MIKEJ!!!!!!!!
Forsberg and Sakic are by far the best playoff team. Then add Rob Blake and Adam Foote. Blake has 4 goal in the Sharks series. Then you have Chris Drury who is great as well as Marty Skula.
All the Avs. players have a chemistry. When the team is on then the other goalie is going to get a workout. No offense, but Detroit just doesn't have the talent down the stretch plus they really haven't had a hugh test in the playoff yet. St. Louis is not that good this year and their goalie is inexperienced. They will lose and Detroit will
advance, but when Detroit has to play a good playoff team like Toronto, Ottawa, San Jose, or Colorado they just can't go the distance of a 7 game series.
Just my 2 cents worth. Others will vary.
Andy
GO AVALANCHE!!!!!!!
:D

crazyelvis

Man.... Some of you guys have been snorting way to much flake food...
Wings will now rest and await their next victum...

Man. I hate to say this but Detroit is looking very good. It's now tied at 1 game each. If Roy keeps playing as bad as he has, then the Wings might just win this series. Don't get me wrong I'm still pulling for the Avs, but with Roy not playing that well in the playoffs...... Anyway
I think it will go down to the wire on this series. Any thoughts?
Go Avs.....
:D
ANdy