Auto feeders

robin l

Would someone please recommend a reliable auto feeder. It's a 40 gallon SW with 4 fish. The last feeder I used when we went away malfunctioned. It dumped all the food and we came home to a tank full of dead fish, except 1 clown. We have no one that can come in to feed them which would be ideal. We usually feed them frozen brine and reef plankton.

meowzer

How long are you going away for? They would probably be fine for a few days...I think I have even read people leaving them for a week....I would worry more about the top off water

robin l

Its usually about 4 days but a week to 10 days once in a while. I've heard they can go fo a while without food but i'm not comfortable with it. People can go without food for quite a while too and survive but it gets quite uncomfortable. I just don't think its fair to them. Not too worried about top off water, not a big evaporation problem.

gill again68

2 things, which feeder are you or were you using?
You say you dont have an evaporation issue? Not sure here but I would think that any issue is an issue. I would address it someway.
I feel the same way about the "not feeding over a few days" thing. I think what Meowzer is saying is that your fish can suffer more from water quality than lack of food. For a matter of fact there are many things in our tanks that the fish feed on in addition to what we feed.
Just so you know I will be buying an auto feeder as well so let me know what you try next. I was looking at Ehim dual chamber feeder. Its about $60.00. Lets you feed 2 types of food at what ever intervals you choose.

meowzer

Originally Posted by ROBIN L
http:///forum/post/3246385
Its usually about 4 days but a week to 10 days once in a while. I've heard they can go fo a while without food but i'm not comfortable with it. People can go without food for quite a while too and survive but it gets quite uncomfortable. I just don't think its fair to them. Not too worried about top off water, not a big evaporation problem.

I have not left my house even overnight with my husband since getting these tanks
With FW, you can toss in a feeder block and go on your way....
This year, I AM GOING somewhere...probably weekend stuff, but OUT OF THE HOUSE
Let me know what feeders you guys pick...I'd be interested also

louti

I've heard good things about the current aquachef, but have never used it. I don't trust any of them. I personally just don't feed anything if I'm gone for a week or less. I'd rather the fish go a little hungry than die from poor water quality from a feeder malfunction or human error if someone is tank sitting.

robin l

We only have to top off about once a week. And not even that much. The tank seems to be really stable. Maybe because there is about 2" of live sand and a ton of live rock. The fish all are happy and healthy. I don't remember what brand of feeder we used but it was round with a built in timer that turned and dropped pellets in. I threw it in the garbage as soon as we came home to a tank of dead fish. It was devastating! I'm sure they weren't thrilled to be eating pellets either. What do you guys normally feed your fish? I wish they could keep their brine diet when using a feeder.
Thanks for your responses.

gill again68

Brine diet? I feed a frozen mix that my fish guy puts together. It has all kinds of vitamins and kinds of fish and such. I do feed some pellets as well as phyto. I dont feed brine shrimp due to the lack of nutrients. They are really just something for them to chase. Now you can soak them in vitamins and that will help but I dont mess with that. I think for the feeders you pretty much have to stay with flakes and pellets. I dont currently feed flake but will be looking for something of a quality if there are any.

robin l

They get frozen brine & frozen reef plankton with a few drops of Garlic Xtreme. I mixed a few days worth in a glass that I keep in the refrigerator. Thats all they've gotten for the few years that I have a tank. They always seem healthy with good color & perfect fins & tails. Is there any other way to tell if they need more? I guess I should supplement with flakes & pellets which would also get them used to it for when I have to use a feeder. Is there freeze dried brine that can be added to a feeder too?

srfisher17

Off the feeder subject; but there are many frozen foods that are much more nutritional than frozen brine shrimp. BS used to be the standard, but has really lost favor with most hobbiests. Frozen Mysis shrimp is an excellent staple (IMO) Spirulina enriched brine, Frozen Formula I&II, Marine Cuisine, and many more are great foods as well.

robin l

NUKE THE WHALES? REALLY? Thanks for the food tips. When I replenish I will give some of it a try.
Still hoping to get some tried and true auto feeder referrals before summer gets here & we start traveling.