Auto Top Off Question

scubatiffy

I did a search on building an ATO, but most of the posts were old and missing pictures. Could anyone help me out on how to build a simple ATO for a 55 gallon? Getting tired of filling up my tank every other day!
Thanks!

flatzboy

Imo your better off with something professionally built then a diy auto-topoff because you will run the risk off floods and all that fun stuff.. I run a aqua-medic sp-3000 dosing pump connected to a reeffanatic level controller with dual float switches.. It has worked great for me and I reccomend it.

scubatiffy

Any estimate on cost for something like that?
Just brainstorming with my dad, and thought maybe a five gallon or so bucket with a drip valve at the bottom? Cheap and seems easy enough- but then again, everytime I say that it turns into a huge hassel!

murph145

heres what i have for my 100 gallon tank... i got tired of filling it up every day too....
i have a JBJ automatic top off system..... the system cost me like $99 off a website... then i used one of my 5 gallon jugs to place fresh RO/DI water in it as a resevouir.... and i places a small poower head in it that cost me $13 and got some 3/8" tubbing at depot and ran the tubbing from the power head to the tank to fill as needed.... the system comes with 2 floats.... there are several ways to hook the system up.... i just have it fill directly to my tank.... i dont have a sump so thats the only way i can do it.... my resevouir has run dry and the system will shut itself off before the powerhead burns up.... good little thing to have since i woulda lost a powerhead or 2 lol.....
but it works really good i just fill up the resevouir every 4-5 days and it does fine.... this way my salinity stay stable also....
heres a few pics of how i have it set up....
i have the display mounted to the wall above my tank.... a cord going to the powerhead located in the 5 gallon jug to the right of the tank.... then the float with the inlet tubbing inside my tank....
all together cost under $120 and does great took about 20 minutes to install.... im happy with it....

flatzboy

Originally Posted by scubatiffy
Any estimate on cost for something like that?
Just brainstorming with my dad, and thought maybe a five gallon or so bucket with a drip valve at the bottom? Cheap and seems easy enough- but then again, everytime I say that it turns into a huge hassel!

The setup ran me about $200 after shipping but you could easily skip[ the aquamedic dosing pump and use a maxi-jet 1200 if you don't plan on setting up a kalk-reactor.. Also I've heard a lot of complaints on another forum about the jbj ATO.