Auto top off

nyreefer

I recently took the glass tops off my 55 gallon and evaporation is becoming a big issue. I add about 1/2 gallon a day and I am becoming concerned about the fluctuations in salinity. I do not have a RO/DI set up, but am using purified water from the lab I work in. Anyone have any suggestions for some kind of auto top off. (I guess I should add that I will be adding a sump and 20gallon fuge after I move in 2 months). Thanks in advance...

robchuck

There are several ways an auto-topoff system can be added to a tank that are all dependant on budget.
For a few bucks, you could DIY a gravity-drip using a container, where an IV line is siliconed to a container (5 gallon bucket, old milk jug, etc.) and topoff water flow is regulated via a pinch valve on the IV line. Kent manufacuters a product like this called the Aquadoser. This method is also a great and inexpensive way to add Kalkwasser to your system. Gravity dripping has a few disadvantages though; the line can during kalk dripping if not properly maintained, and matching the drip rate to evaporation gets tricky, especially as the evaporation fluctuates throughout the year.
With a slightly larger investment, you could purchase a float switch for your future sump. The switch mounts in the sump (as that's where your water level will fluctuate) and is connected to a powerhead in a resevoir or a dosing pump that pulls from the resevoir. A dosing pump is recommended because a powerhead could easily flood your system if the float switch goes bad, where a dosing pump is only capable of adding a few gallons a day, and would give you much more of an opportunity to avoid disaster. In fact, a dosing pump could be used on it's own, but you would have to program it to keep up with evaporation.
Finally, there are some all in one kits on the market that work great. Reef Fanatic makes a water level controller that utilizes two sensors (with one being used as a failsafe). Tunze makes the Osmolator which uses an infrared sensor mounted in the pump to control a small pump in the topoff resevoir. It also has a few failsafes built-in like a float switch to shut the system off if the sump level gets too high, and the controller will automatically turn the pump off if it's been running for more than 10 minutes. I recently added one of these to my tank and it's been fantastic.

nyreefer

Thanks for the ideas. Is it common for people to use a water jug or bucket and control the drip rate using a ball valve or something similar to the "drip method" posted here? It seems like the drip rate would have to be pretty slow to achieve the right balance.

bang guy

Yes. It's only needed if you use limewater. It will prevent the tubing from contacting saltwater at the opening so the limewater won't form a crust and clog up.

neoreef

very interesting, Bang Guy, but I have one question.
If you are floating the end of the airline tubing so it does not contact saltwater in the sump, how do you maintain the siphon that equalizes the water level between the sump and the bucket?
Doesn't that break the siphon?

neilinny

I don't think the siphon is the key here. I think the this works because water seeks it's own level and the siphon is just to get the water to the other level. I could be off, we'll need the creator of this "contraption" to enlighten us further.

bang guy

It will not break the siphon if the airline tube comes up from the bottom to the styrofoam float. The water level in the tubing will always match the water level in the bucket. As long as the bucket is never empty there will be water in the tubing.