Auto top offs. What's your technique?

mkroher

I found the float valve and bracket that I want to get. But.. I can't figure out the *best* way to setup a reservoir and a pump (that is cost effective).
The RO/DI system is 2 rooms away in the laundry room, so running a hose from there to the tank is not an option (if I want to keep a good standing with the girlfriend).
I guess my main problem is that I cannot find the optimal pump to deliver the water to the float valve. Dosing pumps are rather expensive. I'm surprised I haven't found a 1/4" $10 pump somewhere that pumps a small amount of water.
Any suggestions on a pump/method? Thanks

scsinet

Why not use an ATO controller that uses a float switch? That'll turn the pump on and off rather than using a valve with a constantly running pump (that won't last long if it spends most of it's time with it's outlet at full shutoff).
That's what I've used... an ATO controller with an aqualifter.

gill again68

I have a 10 gal, was made to be a charcoal bin from Lowes, that I have for my water storage. In that I have a maxi jet 600. These are turned on and off by my Digital Aquatics controller.
Ill say this, and I am very new to the hobby, I think a controller can make your life a little easier. So many functions to help you avoid different issues. Have you ever had your skimmer overflow? I did and the wife loved it. Now Im gonna put an alarm on that sucker so that never happens again. Anyway dont want to get off topic but if you can or when you can invest in a controller. Just my 2 cents.

flower

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/3157599
Why not use an ATO controller that uses a float switch? That'll turn the pump on and off rather than using a valve with a constantly running pump (that won't last long if it spends most of it's time with it's outlet at full shutoff).
That's what I've used... an ATO controller with an aqualifter.

+1
I use the JBS auto top off unit...I have a 10g tank under my stand with a hose and a utility pump, and also small one for keeping the water stired up, that I use wth my water changes ...just because I like the water moving.

meowzer

My ro/di is in the laundry room and I wanted an ato w/o pumps, so I bought an extra 50' of the water line that comes with the ro/di unit, and my husband ran the line under the house. It goes into the floor right under the ro/di....and comes up behind the tank...

cranberry

Can you explain that a little more. Do you top off directly from your RO/DI unit? Or is there a reservoir?

meowzer

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3168597
Can you explain that a little more. Do you top off directly from your RO/DI unit? Or is there a reservoir?
I top off directly from the ro/di unit...I have a float in my sump.
I also have a 13G trash can in my laundry room with a float cause I keep 10g's of ro/di water made up at all time for top off for my 29G and 54G...also it makes water changes easier. (for the smaller ones) I just take the premade ro/di...add salt to their w/c container...I still mix the salt 24 hours though...(a little off subject)
Here is a pic of the unit in the laundry room (one day I may build a cabinet around it)
Attachment 234284
ANd here is the section of the sump that I have the float...the line runs from the floor behind the tank...under the house...up to the unit in the laundry room
Attachment 234285

cranberry

I flooded my tank one time by having my RO/DI connected directly to my sump. It malfunctioned. It had poured in for hours before I caught it. It killed 3 irreplaceable seahorses. For that reason I always recommend an inbetween reservoir so the amount of water that could be pumped in is "minimal".
But I also like to aerate and buffer my RO/DI first.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3168616
I flooded my tank one time by having my RO/DI connected directly to my sump. It malfunctioned. It had poured in for hours before I caught it. It killed 3 irreplaceable seahorses. For that reason I always recommend an inbetween reservoir so the amount of water that could be pumped in is "minimal".
But I also like to aerate and buffer my RO/DI first.
It is set at a slow drip.....so I think I should be ok....I HOPE..LOL. It has a few inches of leeway, so I am pretty confident that I would catch it IF anything ever happened. I was tired off topping off EVERY day with the 225G....
What do you "buffer" your ro/di water with??????