Azfishgal New Tank Diary!

azfishgal

Originally Posted by BoB_25
How much live rock and live sand do you have in this tank? Thanks
160 lbs of rock (40 lbs base rock, 120 of LR)
100 lbs of sand (80 lbs of dry sand, 20 lbs of LS)
Keep in mind some of the sand and rock is in my sump.

azfishgal

Tank has almost balanced out! :cheer: Here are my test results this morning:
Salinity 1.023
Ammonia 0 :cheer:
Nitrites 0.07
Nitrates 5
pH 8.1
I did a 10% water change after I did my readings and I'm hoping by Thursday I can add my clean up crew. They can get busy cleaning while I'm gone on vacation and when I return I'll add Nemo and Marlin to the tank (as long as everything still checks out). But, I may wait three weeks after the clean up crew so I know for sure they are not carrying any parasites.
Question: Do I need to worry about feeding my clean up crew while I'm gone? This is what I was going to use as a clean up crew:
Nassarius and Cerith Snails (lots of them)
3 Cleaner Shrimp
6 Emerald Crabs
And then put some hermit crabs and a bittle star in my sump
Do you think everyone will be ok while I'm gone (for seven days)? I have someone coming over every day to add RO water from evap and then to feed my two clowns and freshwater tank (putting food in dixie cups so all she needs to do is dump it in
, I don't trust anyone else's pinch.)

azfishgal

Originally Posted by jason490
azfishgal,
What did you use to paint the back of your tank with? That looks great.
Can of spray paint, two coats.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by azfishgal
Hydroid Jellyfish is what I have, but I havn't seen many of them today.

I have seen a lot of these today and not many of my pods! :mad:

J

jason490

Can of spray paint, two coats.
Hmm , not so sure it would be a good idea to do now that I have fish in the tank, lol. Thanks for the reply

azfishgal

Originally Posted by jason490
Hmm , not so sure it would be a good idea to do now that I have fish in the tank, lol. Thanks for the reply
My tank was empty when we did it. I know pet stores cell black backing or you can try using a trash bag, just pull it really tight. Maybe roll on the paint, if you are able to get a roller back there. :thinking:

azfishgal

Originally Posted by TriGa22
Tanks coming along great.. As well as mine. What fish are you adding after the clowns?
Go to page 6, I have them all listed. :happyfish

azfishgal

Originally Posted by AZReefGirl
The tank looks great! Can't wait to see critters in it!!!!! :jumping:
Well it's going to be a bit longer now. Just looked at my clowns and they have ICH! :scared: Let this be a lesson to those that don't do QT and how important it is to have them in the QT for a MINIMUM
of three weeks. I've had my clowns for 2 1/2 weeks and I'm just now seeing the spots show up.
I've never treated saltwater ich before, but I believe I need to lower the the salinity to 1.009? :notsure: I'll look on the disease forum to make sure. So now I have to wait until all signs are gone and then start the three weeks all over again.

theappe

before you start to hypo, do you have any corals in your tank yet? If you dont then you can go with another cure thats not reef safe. (correct me if im wrong) Another thing that you might want to look at, is the REASON why your clowns have ich. What stressed them?

azreefgirl

Oh no!!!!! :scared:
Please let me know if you need me to help out your sitter while you're on vacation! You obviously trust this person with your kids, but these are your fish we're talking about!!!! :happyfish

azfishgal

Originally Posted by theappe
before you start to hypo, do you have any corals in your tank yet? If you dont then you can go with another cure thats not reef safe. (correct me if im wrong) Another thing that you might want to look at, is the REASON why your clowns have ich. What stressed them?
It's a QT, so it's a bare tank, except for the fake anemone and the pvc pipe. Not sure what could have stressed them, but stress does not cause ich, just brings it out, which is really fine with me, because now I can work on killing it before I stick them in my DT. Today I don't see any spots, but I'm still lowering the salinity and will keep it there for three weeks then slowly bring it back up. (I rather do it this way than putting any meds in, even if there are no coral or inverts.) I don't want to take any chances with my DT.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by AZReefGirl
Oh no!!!!! :scared:
Please let me know if you need me to help out your sitter while you're on vacation! You obviously trust this person with your kids, but these are your fish we're talking about!!!! :happyfish
You are so right, what was I thinking?! :hilarious
They should be fine, I'm bringing down the salinity and I'll do a good water change before leaving and pray they are still around when I get back. I might set aside some saltwater that's at 1.009 and have my sitter do a water change half way through the week. I'll have to think about that though. :thinking:

azfishgal

Can someone answer the question regarding the clean up crew: if I stick them in my tank before I leave do I have to worry about feeding them, or will they be ok for seven days with what's in my tank already. And if I do need to feed them, with what?

azfishgal

Originally Posted by saltn00b
you dont really ever have to feed your cleanup crew
That's what I was thinking, but wanted to make sure. Thanks for the reply.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by saltn00b
i noticed that you have the same digital thermometer i just hooked up. do you like is so far?
Yes, I do. VERY easy to read and I don't have to worry about bumping it and be afraid it's going to break.
I've come close with my other one a few times.

azfishgal

Well, getting my salinity down to 1.009 is taking longer than I thought.
I keep taking a pitcher of water out and replacing with RO water. I've done this several times over the past 24 hours (waiting at least an hour before adding more RO water) and my salinity is down to 1.019. Of course I don't want to lower it to fast and shock my fish. I was worried it would be hard to keep the salinity up with a saltwater tank, now I'm finding it won't be a problem.
I'm also watching my pH, to make sure it doesn't dip below 8.0.
Still waiting for DT to balance so I can add my clean up crew.